DS Linker 16Gbit Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by TheSpade, Apr 23, 2007.

Apr 23, 2007

DS Linker 16Gbit Review by TheSpade at 5:21 AM (3,763 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. TheSpade
    OP

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

DS Linker 16Gbit Review

Official GBATemp Review

The biggest complaint about internal memory flash cards have been their limit in size. While we have seen this particular product before in other forms, such as DS Fire, Express Card, MK5 GIGA System, N-CARD, Ultra Flash Pro EX, etc., here we have the DS Linker 16GBit for those concerned with not having enough space to do as they please. Is it the biggest bang for your bucks, or will it fizzle out like a flat soda? Let's read on, shall we?

2. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    this soda tastes a little flat

3. TheSpade
    OP

United States
    Making a bad joke off a bad joke is criminal. [​IMG]

4. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    No that much point in reviewing a clone [​IMG]

5. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    The Spade I found a problem in your review.

The DSLINK website is wrong. It should be www.dslinker.com not www.dslink.com

6. TheSpade
    OP

United States
    Oops...fixed. Thanks. [​IMG]

7. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    There's a new update for all N-Card clones (1.23O), including DS Linker, it fixes the GUI, it's set to 2D for default now, so it's not that ugly and slow.

Also, other N-Card clones have different colored shells (white, black and pink for sure) and DS Lite sized usb linker, so I guess DS Linker has them too.

And about DLDI, there's no write support for now. It reads, but cannot write to the memory, so there's no way to run homebrew which write to the memory or save.

8. Unlimited

Newcomer Unlimited Member

United Kingdom
    I'm dissapointed in the the SLOT 2 Card which is only in GBA format :S Well its still good that theres a 2GB memory inside [​IMG]

9. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    For a sec I read DS-X 16 Gbit [​IMG]

10. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Seriously, fuck off. Not everyone has a DS Lite. I have an original DS, and most of my friends with DS's have an original. Why the hell should they make it completely incompatible with the older model of DS just so lazy people can leave it in their DS Lite and still have it looking pretty? Just take it out and stop bitching.

11. TheSpade
    OP

United States
    They make pills now for anger management. Might want to look into them.

12. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    TheSpade
    I would appreciate if you fixed your review according to the things I stated above. It should be a just review, shoudn't it?

13. Entwinedwithsick

Newcomer Entwinedwithsick Member

United States
    I happen to have an Ewin card that uses the same firmware basically..the GBA cart being big doesn't matter. You only need it while transferring files over, other than that it sits in its case waiting to be used. Why is its size even an issue? And as the other poster above you pointed out not everyone has a DSLite. Oh and regarding the speed of the transfer..it was supposed to be increased to 2.0, you sure your USB is working properly? The 1Gb version (Which I got for review) definitely wasn't 2.0 but supposedly these newer builds of such cards should be 2.0 capable.

14. TheSpade
    OP

United States
    1. 1.23O is what I have on the DS Linker now, and I did mention the new 2-D icon setting (which I personally recommend). It's brief, but it is there.

2. As for different colored shells, DS Linker does not presently offer them. If another clone is indeed doing so, and they offer the shells individually either directly or via any webshop, then please provide a link. However, since the availability is what it is from Supercard's factory, I don't see this as an area to modify. Again, any links are always welcome.

3. I was not aware of the DLDI write support issues during my review process. For that, I apologize. I will amend the review to reflect this, but as I forsee this as a temporary issue, the score will not be affected. Thank you for correcting this oversight.

15. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    I can take a pic of my pink DS Lite sized DS Fire Link card if that matters. There's also pictures of black and white shells for MK5 on net, on various review sites. Also, the most recent N-card clone, DSKey was pictured with a DS Lite sized usb linker. Yet again, some people who bought the original N-card got a DS Lite sized usb linker, there were some posts on the forum. I remember game07 guy posting about it.

16. TheSpade
    OP

United States
    I am quite aware that some of the other clones indeed have color casings as well as seeing the picture of DSKey's Writer. Once again, DS Linker does not offer either. Therefore, my conclusion stands on this point. If and when DS Linker begins to offer multiple colors and a Lite-sized Writer, I will happily amend the review in the future. Costello has implimented a new policy surrounding the potential of flash cards going through hardware redesigns and/or software improvements that either would modify a reviewer's score. I do appreciate your enthusiasm. If you wish to converse further, why not check out our IRC channel at #EFNet, #GBATemp.net. We always welcome conversation. Besides, anything to help overcome shaunj66, Costello, SpikeyNDS and everyone else speaking about Pokemon constantly is a Godsend. [​IMG]

17. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    Yes, I do suspect that some manufacturers act cheap and do not make DS Lite sized usb linkers and colored shells for their clones, only white GBA carts. Why bother if it works, huh? Ironically, the DS Linker is the most expensive of N-card clones, as it goes by the brand of SuperCard. My DS Fire Link is actually the cheapest clone, and yet it offers different shells.

18. TheSpade
    OP

United States
    Well, let me put it this way, and I know some will be quick to shout, "FANBOY!", at me. I own DS-Xtreme and now G6 DS Real. Between the 3 of them, DS Linker is the one that would be sent home from the contest. Yes, DS-Linker does the job. So does pretty much any recent slot-1 flash card (we'll ignore those hollowed out ROM cards, like the original Ninjapass among others). I did profess that I was suprised that it could perform as well as it did, and I was fearing the worst intially. It comes down to how well was the job done. It pales a bit to the competition, and that's by the present design. Nothing you nor I can do about it. If you own DS Linker or one of the other clones and are very happy with your purchase, then I am happy for you. Reviews are a mixture of opinions, advice, sharing of experience and so forth and should be treated as such. The only person that can bear regret is the buyer. Should you have no regrets, then more power to you and happy gaming.

As for what I think about DS-Xtreme versus G6 DS Real...well, stay tuned for that answer in the near future. [​IMG]

19. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    But the N-card is actually the best bang for the buck. You can buy 2Gb of fastest memory, with no slowdowns just for 40 bucks. And every game will work just fine. It's a very good card in my opinion. They should only expand the firmware a bit, make it not so clumsy, support cheats maybe. And DLDI write support of course. Then the card would be of top tier.

20. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Alright, maybe I overreacted a bit, I'm quite sleep deprived at the moment. But it's still a pretty ignorant thing to say in a review. The linker being GBA-sized barely matters at all to DS Lite owners - it takes about a second to switch it back with the dust cover. On the other hand, it matters a hell of a lot to non-Lite owners - if it came with a Lite-sized linker (which it seems they're starting to include) it's -completely impossible- to transfer files on the thing. That's a pretty major disadvantage right there.