OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With permission from Shaunj66 I am passing on this raffle project info. Over at www.scdev.org im holding a raffle for a DS-Link mod (review for the DS-Link is here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36565) and included with the DS-Link is a 1gb microSD card donated by http://www.realhotstuff.com/. The raffle is $5 for 1 ticket and there's no limit on how many tickets you can buy (the more you buy the better the chances of winning). The raffle is opened up for everyone worldwide (and of course shipping is free for who ever wins it). ALL procedes earned from this will go to the homebrew developer Lick. Lick has created some awsome homebrew and his most recent DSLiveWeather is shaping up to be one of the best pieces of homebrew code on the DS today. This is just a way for us to give back to one of the homebrew devs of the DS scene who have given so much to us and RARELY get even a thank you for all there efforts. For full details and how to enter check this thread at scdev.org: http://www.scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46511#46511 Thanks alot to Shaunj66 for allowing me to post this here and for helping support the homebrew scene!! I hope everyone will show there support for the homebrew scene too and purchase atleast 1 raffle ticket. For those who can't purchase a ticket you can still show your support by letting the developer of your favorite homebrew app know you appreciate all the hard work they put in with a "thank you".

waiwai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is just a way for us to give back to one of the homebrew devs of the DS scene who have given so much to us and RARELY get even a thank you for all there efforts.

... For those who can't purchase a ticket you can still show your support by letting the developer of your favorite homebrew app know you appreciate all the hard work they put in with a "thank you".

Why would I thank the guy with money through this raffle?
dry.gif
Doesn't he do this for the love of programming, hacking, discovering and a bit of personal fame?
Let him open a paypal account himself and let the users of his appreciated software decide for themselves...

And I doubt buying these 'tickets' will help the homebrew scene at all.
One guy is not 'the scene', so how are you splitting the money between the other 9.485 coders throughout the world??
rolleyes.gif

I think I'll pass this one..
wink.gif

ShinaKitsune

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if you were a developer of some tools that you just did for free and because ya were having fun then someone decides to do something like this for you...
i dunno your thought process on this
i think its cool thats going to have a thankyou to someone for some tools that another person has used and liked.
its like that contest or whatever for the wifilib on the ds....

DeVS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is just a way for us to give back to one of the homebrew devs of the DS scene who have given so much to us and RARELY get even a thank you for all there efforts.

... For those who can't purchase a ticket you can still show your support by letting the developer of your favorite homebrew app know you appreciate all the hard work they put in with a "thank you".

dry.gif
Doesn't he do this for the love of programming, hacking, discovering and a bit of personal fame?
Let him open a paypal account himself and let the users of his appreciated software decide for themselves...

One guy is not 'the scene', so how are you splitting the money between the other 9.485 coders throughout the world??
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Sorry you feel this way. Funny thing is, if M3 or Supercard came out with a mod that was 100% UNCOMPATIBLE with homebrew no one would buy it. It's funny how much money mod makers make off the fact that there mod devices play homebrew apps & games, yet they give little to nothing back to the devs. You have no problem spending money on a device to play homebrew games & apps but then somehow take exception to the thought of giving these devs alittle something in return for there hard work? Homebrew is a major factor for the majority of mod cart useres. It's comments like the ones above that show the lack of support that these developers get. Look at the comments when a developer releases a piece of homebrew, 99% of the comments are complaints, about the only people who don't complain are the ones who are able to get the software working and have no problems so then they don't even take the time to say thank you. As stated, if you don't feel like buying a ticket thats all good and dandy, but atleast take the time to say thank you to the homebrew devs who's apps & games you use. Do these devs do it because they enjoy it? Well yes, but does that mean you shouldn't show them appreciation for the work they do release to the public? Alot of kids feel like there entitled to homebrew apps & games. Also this is meant as a start to the giving back to developers not a 1 time deal. Many sites have showen interest in continuing this project on with a new site hosting the raffle each time and a new developer getting the funds each time. Someone will win a DS-Link and a 1gig microSD and all they spent on it was $5, seems like a good deal to me. But go ahead and continue to talk trash as you use DSOrganize, Moonshell, DSLiveWeather,ect after all ,your entitled to those free apps right.
rolleyes.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey Devs, great idea on this raffle. I am a firm believer in homebrew since I came out of computer science myself so I feel for the homebrew devs. I agree people should show more appreciation instead of just voicing complaints, in fact I really sympathize with that daily because of my line of work. I'm in for 3 tickets and the paypal has been sent. Just make sure it goes to Licks you sneaky devil. =P

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I love the idea!
I'll be looking behind the couch cushions to come up with ticket money!

DeVs you are so right about people just complaining about homebrew and not taking the time to appreciate the efforts of the makers.

I allready own a DS-Link and find it great, homebrew support could be better though and if buying a ticket in a raffle can help make that happen then I'm happy.

To the haters in the first replies to this thread, you can just not buy a ticket. You don't have to support these guys if you don't want to or think their efforts are not worth it.
Just keep playing your ROMs on your expensive flashcarts and talking about "the scene" like you are a part of it.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
indeed, people think they are a part of "the scene" when they download whatever they can find on emule or bit torrrent. times have really changed.

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

dry.gif

rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Sorry you feel this way. Funny thing is, if M3 or Supercard came out with a mod that was 100% UNCOMPATIBLE with homebrew no one would buy it. It's funny how much money mod makers make off the fact that there mod devices play homebrew apps & games, yet they give little to nothing back to the devs. You have no problem spending money on a device to play homebrew games & apps but then somehow take exception to the thought of giving these devs alittle something in return for there hard work? Homebrew is a major factor for the majority of mod cart useres. It's comments like the ones above that show the lack of support that these developers get. Look at the comments when a developer releases a piece of homebrew, 99% of the comments are complaints, about the only people who don't complain are the ones who are able to get the software working and have no problems so then they don't even take the time to say thank you. As stated, if you don't feel like buying a ticket thats all good and dandy, but atleast take the time to say thank you to the homebrew devs who's apps & games you use. Do these devs do it because they enjoy it? Well yes, but does that mean you shouldn't show them appreciation for the work they do release to the public? Alot of kids feel like there entitled to homebrew apps & games. Also this is meant as a start to the giving back to developers not a 1 time deal. Many sites have showen interest in continuing this project on with a new site hosting the raffle each time and a new developer getting the funds each time. Someone will win a DS-Link and a 1gig microSD and all they spent on it was $5, seems like a good deal to me. But go ahead and continue to talk trash as you use DSOrganize, Moonshell, DSLiveWeather,ect after all ,your entitled to those free apps right.
rolleyes.gif

you also must realize that some people only care about playing pirated games to be quite blunt.
however we do thank the homebrewers for thier contirbutions, but in some cases, some of us only care for the homebrew that allows us to play nes or snes on our ds as we have ipods for our movies and mp3's.

however, it is a good cause, as most homebrewers and coders dont really get anything, and this is a good way to give back. sadly in my case, id be more excited were it a raffle for loopy to continue his work, but nonethless it is a good thing you are doing, and not to mention a good reward
tongue.gif

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah with everyone passing up on it, it gives me a better chance of winning!!

Oh, um er yeah, go Lick! Lickey! Lickmeister.

waiwai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry you feel this way. Funny thing is, if M3 or Supercard came out with a mod that was 100% UNCOMPATIBLE with homebrew no one would buy it. It's funny how much money mod makers make off the fact that there mod devices play homebrew apps & games, yet they give little to nothing back to the devs. You have no problem spending money on a device to play homebrew games & apps
Perhaps I bought it to experiment.
And together, with all the other homebrew developers, there came M3 support.. all without using any money, pure hobby..

You can also see it the otherway around: Mod makers (M3, SC) are smarter, because they ask money for it. I mean, it is not as if Nintendo has given them the technical specs how to interface with the GBA/DS, did they?
wink.gif

So they figured it out themselves, created something and started selling it. I assume they have not given anything back to Nintendo either..
I see no reason why homebrew developers cannot do the same thing...

QUOTE said:
Look at the comments when a developer releases a piece of homebrew, 99% of the comments are complaints, about the only people who don't complain are the ones who are able to get the software working and have no problems so then they don't even take the time to say thank you.
I agree, but such is life. And again, let the developers in question open a paypal account if they want to see money for their effort.

QUOTE said:
As stated, if you don't feel like buying a ticket thats all good and dandy, but atleast take the time to say thank you to the homebrew devs who's apps & games you use.
I'm part of that scene, so it comes natural.
smile.gif

But go ahead and continue to talk trash as you use DSOrganize, Moonshell, DSLiveWeather,ect after all ,your entitled to those free apps right.Â
rolleyes.gif
I though I was rather normal in my words, wasn't I ?

I just think this raffle is not the way to support the homebrew scene. Of course I assume the intentions are good, but the raffle focuses only on one guy, not the scene.
Sure, people complain, but lots of positive output is given to the homebrew scene: see www.maxconsole.net for example, it has every release of DSWeather covered
biggrin.gif

Hope you understand my point.

DeVS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm in for one....now, whats paypal? jk. i've seen it before, just never used it. just a third party in the transfer?
Anyways, on to this whole argument. One guy says that helping out one person isnt enough...well, you start out small. you cant help everyone if you dont help someone first. As the other guy said, this will hopefully be a continous thing, each time a diffent prize and dev will get the funds. yea yea, i know they did it for free, for the love of hacking, ect. but let's face it, even if you help a friend out for free, are you gonna turn down the case of beer he offers you? maybe it's just me, but i dont even use DSorganize(i really want to, but cant get it to work), liveWeather, ect. but even i feel it would help out someone, maybe not the whole scene, but you start with one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.