Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

actualkoifish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DSi XL and recently, the bottom screen works only for a short period of time, before then turning off. Everything else keeps on working, including the touch digitizer, so I figure the backlight is just turning off for some reason. I cannot figure why it happens, just that the screen will only stay on for about 10 to 20 minutes at most, and then the problem occurs. If I turn the console off and then back on, the problem will re-occur almost immediately. If I let the system sit for a bit and then come back to it, however, the screen is working again, at least for another 10 to 20 minutes.

Any advice on what I can do to fix this issue?

Reactions: AL_16

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Was I banned from the Discord server? If so, could you please repeal the ban? I need help.
If you somehow didn't get the ban DM, here's what it says:
Ban message said:
still constantly shitposting in places it shouldn't belong. You were warned of this multiple times now. Seriously, there are other places you can go to post your fanfics, whatever. This isn't one of them.
rule 2 and 4
I'd suggest waiting a bit and thinking about why you were banned as banning happens for a reason and no ban is ever likely to be repealed the next day, just not enough time for you to have learned and improved.

For getting help, well, you're already in the help thread here :P

Edit: Rule 5, not 4

Last edited by Pk11,

AetheralMeowstic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you somehow didn't get the ban DM, here's what it says:

I'd suggest waiting a bit and thinking about why you were banned as banning happens for a reason and no ban is ever likely to be repealed the next day, just not enough time for you to have learned and improved.

For getting help, well, you're already in the help thread here :P

Edit: Rule 5, not 4
Sorry about that. I promise that it won't happen again.

• Haha
Reactions: MRTMW

pokematt

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, after a few years I got my DSi back because I would like to play some GBC and GBA games (maybe even some NDS hack roms).
I then consulted the official guide "dsi.cfw.guide" and installed only the Memory Pit exploit and Twilight Menu (I would prefer not to install Unlaunch, as it does not inspire me confidence for various reasons).
Installed everything and started the exploit, I tried GBARunner and it works great (better than the version I had installed on R4, as I expected).

I then tried GameYob: this too does not give any problems during use, but, once the game session is over, I pressed the power button only once to restart the console, and the latter remained stuck with two screens black and with a continuous glitched sound coming from the speakers. I then held down the power key to shut it down completely.
Honestly, I got a little scared because I thought the emulator might have damaged the NAND, but luckily it didn't.
So, I ask you: what could have caused the console to hang? The imperfect compatibility of the Memory Pit exploit or a simple Gameyob / Twilight Menu bug?
I never tried Gameyob again for fear of breaking the console...

Anyway, I might as well try the Flipnote Lenny exploit, as I have Flipnote installed. According to the guide mentioned above, I would get more compatibility with homebrews (and maybe even solve the problem I just described?).

I also take this opportunity to ask you another question (to which I cannot find an answer neither in the guide nor elsewhere): the guide recommends making a backup of the NAND for any console bricks that could happen. But in which cases could a brick happen, excluding installation / uninstallation of Unlaunch? With emulators, running DS / DSi enhanced ROMs or with insecure homebrews?

Thank you :)

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hello, after a few years I got my DSi back because I would like to play some GBC and GBA games (maybe even some NDS hack roms).
I then consulted the official guide "dsi.cfw.guide" and installed only the Memory Pit exploit and Twilight Menu (I would prefer not to install Unlaunch, as it does not inspire me confidence for various reasons).
Installed everything and started the exploit, I tried GBARunner and it works great (better than the version I had installed on R4, as I expected).

I then tried GameYob: this too does not give any problems during use, but, once the game session is over, I pressed the power button only once to restart the console, and the latter remained stuck with two screens black and with a continuous glitched sound coming from the speakers. I then held down the power key to shut it down completely.
Honestly, I got a little scared because I thought the emulator might have damaged the NAND, but luckily it didn't.
So, I ask you: what could have caused the console to hang? The imperfect compatibility of the Memory Pit exploit or a simple Gameyob / Twilight Menu bug?
I never tried Gameyob again for fear of breaking the console...

Anyway, I might as well try the Flipnote Lenny exploit, as I have Flipnote installed. According to the guide mentioned above, I would get more compatibility with homebrews (and maybe even solve the problem I just described?).
I don't think I've heard of that happening before, there is a decent chance it's a Memory Pit issue. Almost no homebrew even have the code to touch NAND so bricking shouldn't be a concern. Trying Flipnote Lenny or installing Unlaunch is probably a good idea if it's consistent. Also make sure your TWiLight Menu++ is up to date, it updates frequently.

I also take this opportunity to ask you another question (to which I cannot find an answer neither in the guide nor elsewhere): the guide recommends making a backup of the NAND for any console bricks that could happen. But in which cases could a brick happen, excluding installation / uninstallation of Unlaunch? With emulators, running DS / DSi enhanced ROMs or with insecure homebrews?
From least to most severe:
  • Using DSiWare, afaik never directly caused a brick but the DSi NAND isn't great so programs that do a lot of NAND writing like the Camera taking pictures to NAND slowly wears down the NAND; using hiyaCFW or TWiLight Menu++ to run from SD removes this concern
  • Using the region patcher, theoretically the same risk as installing DSiWare but never even maybe caused a brick so far
  • Installing DSiWare with the NTM or theoretically even the DSi Shop, someone reported a brick in the NTM thread but gave no further details so I'm honestly not sure if they bricked or just got a fixable error, it shouldn't be possible for NTM to brick besides NAND wear causing it to die
  • Installing Unlaunch and System Updates, both about the same risk and extremely rare but both have caused bricks on occasion
  • Uninstalling Unlaunch, notably higher risk than installing, presumably because your NAND can be corrupted but kept safe by Unlaunch, but removing that exposes the error
  • Flashing a NAND backup (with Safe NAND Manager), potentially safer than uninstalling Unlaunch, however has the risk of flashing a broken backup causing a brick
  • Using TWLnf or fwTool 1.6. Do not use either of these.

That's it really, no other homebrew can write to NAND as of writing this so it's not a major concern.

pokematt

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think I've heard of that happening before, there is a decent chance it's a Memory Pit issue. Almost no homebrew even have the code to touch NAND so bricking shouldn't be a concern. Trying Flipnote Lenny or installing Unlaunch is probably a good idea if it's consistent. Also make sure your TWiLight Menu++ is up to date, it updates frequently.

From least to most severe:
  • Using DSiWare, afaik never directly caused a brick but the DSi NAND isn't great so programs that do a lot of NAND writing like the Camera taking pictures to NAND slowly wears down the NAND; using hiyaCFW or TWiLight Menu++ to run from SD removes this concern
  • Using the region patcher, theoretically the same risk as installing DSiWare but never even maybe caused a brick so far
  • Installing DSiWare with the NTM or theoretically even the DSi Shop, someone reported a brick in the NTM thread but gave no further details so I'm honestly not sure if they bricked or just got a fixable error, it shouldn't be possible for NTM to brick besides NAND wear causing it to die
  • Installing Unlaunch and System Updates, both about the same risk and extremely rare but both have caused bricks on occasion
  • Uninstalling Unlaunch, notably higher risk than installing, presumably because your NAND can be corrupted but kept safe by Unlaunch, but removing that exposes the error
  • Flashing a NAND backup (with Safe NAND Manager), potentially safer than uninstalling Unlaunch, however has the risk of flashing a broken backup causing a brick
  • Using TWLnf or fwTool 1.6. Do not use either of these.

That's it really, no other homebrew can write to NAND as of writing this so it's not a major concern.
Yes, I installed Twilight menu++ some days ago and it's up to date.

The glitch was very strange and never happened on it with original games (as far as I remember). Again, I tried multiple times GBARunner2 and it worked without any problem, allowing the console to restart in a few seconds every time.
However, my DSi firmware is 1.4E and I use a standard 8 GB SD of class 6 (I'll replace it soon with a modern one).

Anyway, thank you very much for all the information: I will use Twilight Menu++ more peacefully and try the Flipnote Lenny exploit :)

I will let you know in case of further problems with Gameyob.

Reactions: Pk11

blackwolf25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what's wrong I'm using twilight menu on both consoles and both our wireless is on but it shows no games found on call of duty black ops

Attachments

• 1655932622400256526712.jpg
    1655932622400256526712.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what's wrong I'm using twilight menu on both consoles and both our wireless is on but it shows no games found on call of duty black ops
Are you sure both consoles have Wi-Fi on in TWiLight Menu++ settings? This is separate from the normal system setting and on 3DS doesn't affect the light, on DSi it should affect the light though.

Reactions: CoolMe

blackwolf25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure both consoles have Wi-Fi on in TWiLight Menu++ settings? This is separate from the normal system setting and on 3DS doesn't affect the light, on DSi it should affect the light though.
Yes I have the WiFi turned on in settings

packattack77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the dsi version of twilight menu and whenever i try to launch pokemon white or any dsi enhanced/ dsiware game, i get a message that says "Please set a DSi(ware) Title as a donor ROM, in order to launch this title in dsi mode" then it says to find the game, press y and select "set a donor rom" but i dont see that option after to pressing y on the app and going to some sort of menu for it. help please i am not smart when it comes to these problems

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
I have the dsi version of twilight menu and whenever i try to launch pokemon white or any dsi enhanced/ dsiware game, i get a message that says "Please set a DSi(ware) Title as a donor ROM, in order to launch this title in dsi mode" then it says to find the game, press y and select "set a donor rom" but i dont see that option after to pressing y on the app and going to some sort of menu for it. help please i am not smart when it comes to these problems
You need to dump a DSiWare (typically the app you're using for the exploit is best I believe) then press Y on that in TWiLight. Not all DSiWare are compatible as it needs to be one that's ARM7 binary is compatible with your DSiWare exploit, so try a few if your first try doesn't work.

You can also just install Unlaunch and this won't be an issue, it only needs a donor ROM when running from a DSiWare exploit.

packattack77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to dump a DSiWare (typically the app you're using for the exploit is best I believe) then press Y on that in TWiLight. Not all DSiWare are compatible as it needs to be one that's ARM7 binary is compatible with your DSiWare exploit, so try a few if your first try doesn't work.

You can also just install Unlaunch and this won't be an issue, it only needs a donor ROM when running from a DSiWare exploit.
oh, i might try unlaunch

Reactions: Pk11

6V-Atsume-Haruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!
I have 2 noob questions, but since this is the "noob paradise" I assume it is a safe space.
- Does the DSLite need to be hacked to be able to use a SupercardDSOne?
- Does it happen that the DSLite asks to go through the initial setup if it hasn't been booted in a very long time?
The reason why I ask is because I tried to use my DSLite for the 1st time in 10 years. I realized that the last time I used it was with a SupercardDSOne. It boots perfectly with the Supercard inserted. I tried to remove the Supercard to boot it normally, but I ended up on the DS initial setup screen. This made me wonder: Did I hack my DS a long time ago? (So long that I don’t even remember)

I’m sorry if this sounds ridiculous, but I really don’t remember what I did 10(?) years ago!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
DSLite_Bootup2022.png

PS: my DS Lite is in Japanese, sorry! (The text roughly says: "First, let's set up your console. Touch the screen or press a button")

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs