Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

AriTpokemonblackissue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm actually on ds lite but there's no thread for it, I'm having trouble with ysmenu 7.06 on a dstt clone (r4 sdhc gold pro) freezing/crashing, and I've been working on fixing the problem all day but nothing I've tried has worked and almost everything I've found that's been helpful has been on this site, so far I've tried

-totally reformatting and reinstalling things on my sdcard a couple of times, I've updated twice
-installing a new version of usrcheats and enabling cheats and enabling RGF's flashcart ap fix (worked for a while and then crashed on save, so I deleted the .sav file again and it's back to crashing when juniper asks me what my name is, which is where we started over 12 hours ago...
-I tried running a patched rom but said patched rom was giving me error 4... but that was a couple versions of ysmenu ago so I guess I'll try a patched rom again just to double check? But I might have already tried that?

I've tried to read what I could but I'm really not familiar with a forum style layout and everything I could find is from 2010-2011 and none of it has had a satisfactory solution so far. If someone could please give me like, a link to a thread with an updated solution already? Or walk me through what other troubleshooting steps there might even be? Thank you in advance

Edit: this might actually not be the correct thread for this? I'm sorry I'm not really sure how to use this website yet, if you could like, gently shove me in the correct direction of where to ask this question if this isn't the right spot I'd appreciate it.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm actually on ds lite but there's no thread for it, I'm having trouble with ysmenu 7.06 on a dstt clone (r4 sdhc gold pro) freezing/crashing, and I've been working on fixing the problem all day but nothing I've tried has worked and almost everything I've found that's been helpful has been on this site, so far I've tried

-totally reformatting and reinstalling things on my sdcard a couple of times, I've updated twice
-installing a new version of usrcheats and enabling cheats and enabling RGF's flashcart ap fix (worked for a while and then crashed on save, so I deleted the .sav file again and it's back to crashing when juniper asks me what my name is, which is where we started over 12 hours ago...
-I tried running a patched rom but said patched rom was giving me error 4... but that was a couple versions of ysmenu ago so I guess I'll try a patched rom again just to double check? But I might have already tried that?

I've tried to read what I could but I'm really not familiar with a forum style layout and everything I could find is from 2010-2011 and none of it has had a satisfactory solution so far. If someone could please give me like, a link to a thread with an updated solution already? Or walk me through what other troubleshooting steps there might even be? Thank you in advance

Edit: this might actually not be the correct thread for this? I'm sorry I'm not really sure how to use this website yet, if you could like, gently shove me in the correct direction of where to ask this question if this isn't the right spot I'd appreciate it.
This thread or the YSMenu thread would both be fine I think, might as well stick to here since we're already here.

Hmm, first to get the obvious out of the way, you're using YSMenu from the RetroGameFan Updates/Releases thread, right? That's the latest and official version so I'd recommend using that over any "aio packs" or such from YouTube or whatnot.

Have you tried formatting using SD Formatter? If not give that a try, dsi.cfw.guide's formatting instructions describe how, it does a better job at fixing weirdly behaving SD cards than any other formatter, especially the Windows built in one. Even if you have it may still be worth testing the SD card as described on that page, SD cards are not exactly known for being the most reliable so it could be a bad SD card.

Another good thing to test is that you've got clean dumps of your ROMs, this is Gen 5 Pokémon I assume by you saying Juniper asking for your name? There's a lot of bad dumps of those floating around so worth checking you've got a good one, and since they're so large there's a higher possibility of something being wrong in a self-dumped copy. If you search for the name on no-intro's DAT-o-MATIC you can check the checksums against theirs to ensure you've got a good dump.

YSMenu should support those games without needing patches, but if you want to try patching them try using RetroGameFan's NDS ROM Tool, it's the best AP patcher, just make sure not to let it "update" on running it.

If none of that helps, especially if the SD test comes back bad, try using a different SD if you can, bad SD's aren't all that uncommon.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, this is the correct thread. DS(i) means both DS and DSi.

To add onto what @Pk11 said, you can install TWiLight Menu++ and run the game using nds-bootstrap instead of YSMenu, if you want to keep using a clean ROM, and/or if YSMenu is unable to run the AP-patched ROM.

AriTpokemonblackissue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ok so I went ahead and tried reformatting with that formatting tool, no change.

It looks like I have the correct version of ysmenu as well, I'm going to go ahead and see if I can find a different rom just to double check, but I've tried 3 so far and this is the only one that launches, but it freezes.

I can't figure out how to search for my rom on that site, I'm not sure what info it wants but the number and title are both missing, but mine is called "5585 - Pokemon - Black Version (USA, Europe) (NDSi Enhanced) _apfix" after I run it through the ds scene tool or whatever it's called...

Ok so after I wrote that last section I redownloaded a rom and gave that a try and it's still having the same issue. I'm going to try finding a rom from another site and see if that helps but I doubt it. I tried deleting all the extraneous files from the sd card that weren't related to running ds games and I'm still having the issue. I'm going to try downloading from another rom site and see if anything changes

I guess I should describe the issue in a little more detail? Essentially I run black, get through junipers speech, select my character and get to the point where she asks me what my name is and then the game freezes, with the name imput screen not popping up. The one time I got the screen to pop up it would get to route 1 and then freeze when I try to save. Hopefully that's enough information? I can take photos or videos or screenshots or whatever else might help too.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I went ahead and tried reformatting with that formatting tool, no change.

It looks like I have the correct version of ysmenu as well, I'm going to go ahead and see if I can find a different rom just to double check, but I've tried 3 so far and this is the only one that launches, but it freezes.

I can't figure out how to search for my rom on that site, I'm not sure what info it wants but the number and title are both missing, but mine is called "5585 - Pokemon - Black Version (USA, Europe) (NDSi Enhanced) _apfix" after I run it through the ds scene tool or whatever it's called...

Ok so after I wrote that last section I redownloaded a rom and gave that a try and it's still having the same issue. I'm going to try finding a rom from another site and see if that helps but I doubt it. I tried deleting all the extraneous files from the sd card that weren't related to running ds games and I'm still having the issue. I'm going to try downloading from another rom site and see if anything changes

I guess I should describe the issue in a little more detail? Essentially I run black, get through junipers speech, select my character and get to the point where she asks me what my name is and then the game freezes, with the name imput screen not popping up. The one time I got the screen to pop up it would get to route 1 and then freeze when I try to save. Hopefully that's enough information? I can take photos or videos or screenshots or whatever else might help too.
Hmm, that's the no-intro naming scheme so should've found it without the _apfix at least, it's this one: https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php?page=show_record&s=28&n=5585

It should match these checksums if it's a good dump:
CRC32: 4f6e5580
MD5: 37bff1431eda9b3a525737c7f59a432d
SHA-1: 26ad0b9967aa279c4a266ee69f52b9b2332399a5
SHA-256: b9979189d299a0231d01c8885c0d054b706976ffc75427ca59d84e0ce149303
(you only really need to check one)

It sounds like probably a bad SD card, or maybe a bad dump. The anti-piracy in Gen 5 Pokémon is not gaining EXP and freezing in the party screen iirc, so doesn't sound like that.

Reactions: Flame

AriTpokemonblackissue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to try reformatting one more time and double checking that i'm not quick reformatting, I'll try another sd card if that doesn't wind up working, and get back to you sometime tomorrow. Thank you so much for trying to help. I don't think there's anything wrong with the sd card itself, it was working just fine in my old phone a while ago, could the sd card be too large for the ds to handle? It's 32g, that was one of the first things I checked when I started trying to get this set up like yesterday afternoon.

YoheiruYkatchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to uninstall hiyaCFW done by ugopawn...... the flipnote exploit...if so, a way that doesn't require any hard mod?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to uninstall hiyaCFW done by ugopawn...... the flipnote exploit...if so, a way that doesn't require any hard mod?
See https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/hiyacfw/uninstalling, hiyaCFW is entirely on the SD so a hardmod is never needed. If you want to go fully back to stock then you'll need to uninstall Unlaunch as well, however it's recommended to avoid actually uninstalling if possible as it's a little risky, it's better to simple set NO BUTTON to Launcher in Unlaunch options. Though since you say ugopwn you'll probably need to update Unlaunch first to be able to do that.

YoheiruYkatchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/hiyacfw/uninstalling, hiyaCFW is entirely on the SD so a hardmod is never needed. If you want to go fully back to stock then you'll need to uninstall Unlaunch as well, however it's recommended to avoid actually uninstalling if possible as it's a little risky, it's better to simple set NO BUTTON to Launcher in Unlaunch options. Though since you say ugopwn you'll probably need to update Unlaunch first to be able to do that.

Could me not having unlaunch updated explain those dark edges on the screen? I got them ever since i installed CFW and after updating twilight menu i notice e got little darker yesterday

Attachments

• 2E6DA2E1-A4C0-403F-B217-E83A2E7A9F78.jpeg
    2E6DA2E1-A4C0-403F-B217-E83A2E7A9F78.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 29

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Could me not having unlaunch updated explain those dark edges on the screen? I got them ever since i installed CFW and after updating twilight menu i notice e got little darker yesterday
No... that's not even possible for software to cause something like that and I've never heard of it happening before, most likely just a hardware issue that coincidentally started when installing CFW. Uninstalling CFW will almost certainly do nothing to change it as it's definitely a hardware issue.

To fix it you'll probably need to replace the screen. DSi XL screens do seem to have screen issues somewhat frequently by now, though usually it's yellowing or image retention. iFixit has a guide on replacing the screen, iirc they're pretty easy to get on AliExpress or such, but it's rather tricky to actually replace.

YoheiruYkatchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noob here asking a serious question cause they accidentally took my SD card that I use to run Twilight Menu on my DSI and formatted the card. :cry: Tutorial/Guide in how to recover everything? or what steps do I need to take?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Noob here asking a serious question cause they accidentally took my SD card that I use to run Twilight Menu on my DSI and formatted the card. :cry: Tutorial/Guide in how to recover everything? or what steps do I need to take?
Assuming it's got Unlaunch, follow the wiki's guide. If not then just start over with dsi.cfw.guide.

Last edited by Pk11,

YoheiruYkatchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No... that's not even possible for software to cause something like that and I've never heard of it happening before, most likely just a hardware issue that coincidentally started when installing CFW. Uninstalling CFW will almost certainly do nothing to change it as it's definitely a hardware issue.

To fix it you'll probably need to replace the screen. DSi XL screens do seem to have screen issues somewhat frequently by now, though usually it's yellowing or image retention. iFixit has a guide on replacing the screen, iirc they're pretty easy to get on AliExpress or such, but it's rather tricky to actually replace.
Oh crap!! well that sucks haha. Well at least I know now that its hardware. Thanks very much!!

Reactions: Pk11

YoheiruYkatchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming it's got Unlaunch, follow the wiki's guide. If not then just start over with dsi.cfw.guide.
dsi.cfw.guide this site ain't working and the wiki's guide. didn't work for me. I pressed the A and B button but only got the message no cash unlaunched v1.4 broken and grounded, and it prompt me back to the normal dsi menu without sound

Last edited by YoheiruYkatchi,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
dsi.cfw.guide this site ain't working and the wiki's guide. didn't work for me. I pressed the A and B button but only got the message no cash unlaunched v1.4 broken and grounded, and it prompt me back to the normal dsi menu without sound
Whoops I typo'd the link, fixed now.

Hmm, outdated Unlaunch makes it slightly trickier but shouldn't be too bad, I think you should be able to do the following:
  1. Follow the DS-Homebrew wiki's TWiLight installing guide
  2. Make a copy of BOOT.NDS and rename it to bootcode.dsi (in the SD root)
  3. Follow dsi.cfw.guide's installing Unlaunch page to update to the latest
  4. Delete bootcode.dsi

YoheiruYkatchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoops I typo'd the link, fixed now.

Hmm, outdated Unlaunch makes it slightly trickier but shouldn't be too bad, I think you should be able to do the following:
  1. Follow the DS-Homebrew wiki's TWiLight installing guide
  2. Make a copy of BOOT.NDS and rename it to bootcode.dsi (in the SD root)
  3. Follow dsi.cfw.guide's installing Unlaunch page to update to the latest
  4. Delete bootcode.dsi

Hi I'm at this point where I followed all the steps and was able to update unlaunch to version 2.0. The issue now is that in the twilight menu installation guide I just did the part with setting up the SD card and did the whole unlaunch update using twilight menu with bootcode.dsi. I guess I need to install in order to delete the bootcode.dsi but I wasn't sure which installation mode I should have went with. When I did the whole process for the first time there was "no memory pit" option available. I did so through flipnote studio in which later on sacrificed the flipnote app. Should I follow the installation guide through flipnote like I've done the very first time or is it ok if I do the "memory pit" option?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.