Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you take a 512 kb .sav file and turn it into...let's say...a 64 kb file.
context: I'm trying to take a save for kh 358/2 days that I have from playing it via nds bootstrap and put it onto an official cartridge but it just fails and results in essentially no save data on the cart. Presumably because the save is to large

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you take a 512 kb .sav file and turn it into...let's say...a 64 kb file.
context: I'm trying to take a save for kh 358/2 days that I have from playing it via nds bootstrap and put it onto an official cartridge but it just fails and results in essentially no save data on the cart. Presumably because the save is to large
Use a hex editor (ex. HxD) to delete everything in the save data, starting at offset 0x10000.

Reactions: banjo2

fjdjks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just recently got a new dsi xl and have been using the memory pit exploit to use twilightmenu and I don't plan on installing unlaunch. Is there any risk of bricking my ds using the memory pit exploit?

Last edited by fjdjks,

joshCoolMoney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(I apologize in advance for being a huge noob to dsi homebrew. I only found out about it a few days ago, but I have a problem that I couldn't find a previous fix for on my own.) In Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus (U), whenever A boss monster is summoned, after its 3D animation plays, the game immediately freezes about 9 times out of 10. I don't know what's causing it, but it doesn't seem like AP (it doesn't freeze 100% of the time), and I don't think it's my dsixl because I had previously played the 2009 yugioh game on it without any kind of issue. I apologize again if this is an already documented problem. Thank you for reading.

Uxiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
i have a new 3ds but due to blurry resolution or black bars in native aspect ratio for ds and gba im thinking about purchase a dsi XL, i would like to know too if GBC resolution fit in a nds, its is pixel perfect in nds full screen.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
(I apologize in advance for being a huge noob to dsi homebrew. I only found out about it a few days ago, but I have a problem that I couldn't find a previous fix for on my own.) In Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus (U), whenever A boss monster is summoned, after its 3D animation plays, the game immediately freezes about 9 times out of 10. I don't know what's causing it, but it doesn't seem like AP (it doesn't freeze 100% of the time), and I don't think it's my dsixl because I had previously played the 2009 yugioh game on it without any kind of issue. I apologize again if this is an already documented problem. Thank you for reading.
The compatibility list says it should work and I don't see any issues about it open on GitHub... Perhaps try reformatting your SD card using dsi.cfw.guide's tools.

If that doesn't help make sure your TWiLight Menu++ is up to date and installed correctly. Could also potentially be a problem with a bad dump, can check the checksums against no-intro's DAT-o-MATIC to be sure it's good. Also could help to play around with the per-game settings in TWiLight Menu++ (press Y on it) and see if enabling/disabling any of those helps, if so please report back since we may need to blacklist it from one of the settings or so.

Could also try manually AP patching it using RetroGameFan's nds-scene ROM tool incase that is the issue.

i have a new 3ds but due to blurry resolution or black bars in native aspect ratio for ds and gba im thinking about purchase a dsi XL, i would like to know too if GBC resolution fit in a nds, its is pixel perfect in nds full screen.
GBC isn't quite full screen when pixel perfect, but it's close enough that it's quite good imo.
スクリーンショット 2021-12-10 12.23.31.png

GameYob also offers scaling, though I prefer pixel perfect mode.
スクリーンショット 2021-12-10 12.23.35.png

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a file-limit per folder with HiyaCFW and TwilightMenu++ on a DSi? When going to my NDS ROM folder it won't show any titles past "S" but if I copy the "missing" .nds files to another folder they show up 🤔

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Is there a file-limit per folder with HiyaCFW and TwilightMenu++ on a DSi? When going to my NDS ROM folder it won't show any titles past "S" but if I copy the "missing" .nds files to another folder they show up 🤔
TWiLight Menu++ has a limit of 40 items per page, however you can press L/R (or SELECT + Left/Right) to change pages.

In hiyaCFW's SDNAND DSi Menu there's a hard limit of 39 items that cannot be changed, as it's literally just the DSi Menu on SD card.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TWiLight Menu++ has a limit of 40 items per page, however you can press L/R (or SELECT + Left/Right) to change pages.

In hiyaCFW's SDNAND DSi Menu there's a hard limit of 39 items that cannot be changed, as it's literally just the DSi Menu on SD card.
Ah okay thanks for the explanation! :)

miig711

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Folks, I recently bought a pre-owned Nintendo 3DS XL running the system version 4.5.0-9E and it came equipped with the R4i Unlimited Upgradable card. The console recognises the card as "The Spiderwick Chronicles" game, but when opening it, it displays an error message saying: An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off.

I was searching the web for other kernel files, but nothing seems to be working, and I'm not sure whether I should buy a new R4 card or is there an option to still use the one I received with the console.

If you could help me, I'd be really grateful. Thank you! ;)

Attached is the picture of the card:
268331972_337379974546028_4308446008166263097_n.jpg

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Folks, I recently bought a pre-owned Nintendo 3DS XL running the system version 4.5.0-9E and it came equipped with the R4i Unlimited Upgradable card. The console recognises the card as "The Spiderwick Chronicles" game, but when opening it, it displays an error message saying: An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off.

I was searching the web for other kernel files, but nothing seems to be working, and I'm not sure whether I should buy a new R4 card or is there an option to still use the one I received with the console.

If you could help me, I'd be really grateful. Thank you! ;)

Attached is the picture of the card:
View attachment 290367
Verify if your R4 works in a DS Lite or DS Phat. The generic "An error has occurred" message usually means that the R4 is blocked by the whitelist check.
  • Consider installing B9S/Luma3DS to get rid of the restrictions --> https://3ds.hacks.guide/
    • This will also allow using TWiLight Menu++ instead of the R4 for DS games
  • If there is a firmware update available for your R4 clone it *might* get around the whitelist check
    • The firmware is NOT the kernel software. No matter what you put on the micro SD inside the R4, it won't magically unblock the cart. A firmware upgrade has to be flashed with a console that does currently start the R4 (DS Lite, DS Phat, DSi or 3DS with custom firmware)
    • A bad firmware upgrade can brick the R4.
Good luck and have fun!

Zennan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have no idea whether this is a 3ds or a ds question but im going to ask it here. im on a 2ds xl and im trying to get warioware twisted working on the latest version of gbarunner2. the gyro didn't seem to work. i saw that there was a twilight patcher that had rtcom which claimed to add gyro specifically for games like warioware twisted. however even when i installed that the gyro still didnt work. when i reinstalled twpatch, it still didnt work. when i tried to patch it multiple times, it still didnt work. when i used a version of gbarunner2 from like two years ago that had in the notes that it had experimental gyro, it crashed, and when i patched rtcom onto it, it booted up find but still didnt work. how do i get this shit working? it's just become a massive headache for me.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
i have no idea whether this is a 3ds or a ds question but im going to ask it here. im on a 2ds xl and im trying to get warioware twisted working on the latest version of gbarunner2. the gyro didn't seem to work. i saw that there was a twilight patcher that had rtcom which claimed to add gyro specifically for games like warioware twisted. however even when i installed that the gyro still didnt work. when i reinstalled twpatch, it still didnt work. when i tried to patch it multiple times, it still didnt work. when i used a version of gbarunner2 from like two years ago that had in the notes that it had experimental gyro, it crashed, and when i patched rtcom onto it, it booted up find but still didnt work. how do i get this shit working? it's just become a massive headache for me.
Have you tried mGBA? Since you say you're on a "New" 3DS it should run pretty well and afaik it supports gyro.

For GBARunner2, you need this build and TWPatch, do steps 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, and 10 (and no others) from the TWiLight widescreen guide if you want to be sure you've got that installed correctly (I can't think of a tutorial for non-widescreen TWPatch but it'll be fine if you just skip the widescreen steps), then it may work but iirc it's just kinda random if it'll work on your particular 3DS or not as there's a few different gyro chips that were used and GBARunner2 only supports one of them.

Zennan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did everything you said (i checked the about on gbarunner2 to make sure i was running on the gyro supported version and i was), yet it still doesnt work. guess my system is just fucked. i tried mgba in the past but it's really choppy on my system and just not that enjoyable to play. i think there mightve been a few updates since the last time i installed mgba on this 3ds so ill see if that makes it run better or something.

Zennan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah even after installing the latest update it still is sort of choppy, i guess ill just live with it since there isnt really any other options for me rn

FunkyFreshFellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in modding my DSi to add stuff like Twilight Menu++, but I just wanted to ask about whether or not this may affect how the DSi works since I've been reading a lot about this but I'm still confused. Like, will all my physical cartridges still work with no issues? If I played something like my physical copy of Pokemon White could I connect to a fan server with a WPA connection? I'm just curious since I want to be sure I won't accidentally mess anything up and have to figure more stuff out to get my physical games working properly. If using modded menus does affect that, then would it be possible to use the original home menu or something to run the games normally?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.