Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i need help with my r4 card, i tried every kernel but didn't find soluction at moment...
It's not being read, it should show a game icon, even if you don't have any kernel files on it. The r4 is probably defective. Luckily these are pretty cheap, $4 or less you could get one, wood kernel works fine for these.

KIlly728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I have a gut feeling this is asked a lot, so forgive me in advance as I couldn’t find an answer on my own.

TL;DR: I picked up some Dsi LL consoles with multiple instances of Launcher and other applications. Is that a problem? Can it be fixed without bricking the consoles? I’m perfectly fine ignoring it, but it is something I haven’t seen before in Unlaunch.

I picked up a few Dsi LL Japanese consoles that had not only Unlaunch, but some type of language and/or Region change (the consoles have a (mostly) English Dsi menu and are not region locked to Japanese cartridges). In the Unlaunch Menu, I noticed multiple instances of “Launcher” and other applications.

20240921_233018.jpg

The Yellow LL has two instances of “Launcher”
Running 1.4J

First launcher is located: nand: /launcher.dsi
It booted into an English/Japanese hybrid language where the apps were in Japanese, but the rest of the UI was in English.

Second launcher is located: nand: /title/00030017/484e414a/content/000000002.app
Booted into the Japanese Language.

(The three applications with Squares as entries are the Japanese Brain Age-like games and the Dictionary.)

The Burgundy/Wire Red LL console has 3 instances of “Launcher”, and multiple duplicates of other applications.
Running 1.4.5J

First launcher is located: nand: /launcher.dsi.
It booted into an English/Japanese hybrid language where the apps were in Japanese, but the rest of the UI was in English. There are also duplicates of applications.

Second launcher is located: nand: /title/00030017/484e4145/content/000000007.app

Third launcher is located: nand: /title/00030017/484e414a/content/000000007.app

There are also two instances of System Settings, Dsi Shop, Dsi Camera, ZONE, and Dsi Sound.

I won’t list the directories for these duplicate applications. You get the drift.

I don’t know what the previous owner(s) of these consoles did to accomplish this. I don't know if they used rvtr's Region changing a DSi on NAND or a similar technique. So yeah, it goes without saying that I do not have the history of these consoles nor did they ship with SD cards to give me hints as to what they did.

I haven’t tried anything with these consoles aside from opening the Launch instances to satisfy my curiosity. I haven't dumped the NAND or re-running the Unlaunch installer.

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I have a gut feeling this is asked a lot, so forgive me in advance as I couldn’t find an answer on my own.

TL;DR: I picked up some Dsi LL consoles with multiple instances of Launcher and other applications. Is that a problem? Can it be fixed without bricking the consoles? I’m perfectly fine ignoring it, but it is something I haven’t seen before in Unlaunch.

I picked up a few Dsi LL Japanese consoles that had not only Unlaunch, but some type of language and/or Region change (the consoles have a (mostly) English Dsi menu and are not region locked to Japanese cartridges). In the Unlaunch Menu, I noticed multiple instances of “Launcher” and other applications.

View attachment 459791

The Yellow LL has two instances of “Launcher”
Running 1.4J

First launcher is located: nand: /launcher.dsi
It booted into an English/Japanese hybrid language where the apps were in Japanese, but the rest of the UI was in English.

Second launcher is located: nand: /title/00030017/484e414a/content/000000002.app

(The three applications with Squares as entries are the Japanese Brain Age-like games and the Dictionary.)

The Burgundy/Wire Red LL console has 3 instances of “Launcher”, and multiple duplicates of other applications.
Running 1.4.5J

First launcher is located: nand: /launcher.dsi.
It booted into an English/Japanese hybrid language where the apps were in Japanese, but the rest of the UI was in English. There are also duplicates of applications.

Second launcher is located: nand: /title/00030017/484e4145/content/000000007.app

Third launcher is located: nand: /title/00030017/484e414a/content/000000007.app

There are also two instances of System Settings, Dsi Shop, Dsi Camera, ZONE, and Dsi Sound.

I won’t list the directories for these duplicate applications. You get the drift.

I don’t know what the previous owner(s) of these consoles did to accomplish this. I don't know if they used rvtr's Region changing a DSi on NAND or a similar technique. So yeah, it goes without saying that I do not have the history of these consoles nor did they ship with SD cards to give me hints as to what they did.

I haven’t tried anything with these consoles aside from opening the Launch instances to satisfy my curiosity. I haven't dumped the NAND or re-running the Unlaunch installer.
compare the titles with dsibrew https://dsibrew.org/wiki/Title_database

I guess they installed another region's titles as a way to region change, and just never bothered uninstalling the old ones

414a is the japanese launcher and 4145 is the american launcher btw, and launcher.dsi is likely from dsi language "pacher"

if they work then it's kinda whatever, the extra titles arent going to be causing problems. if you have the original system files with signed tmd and ticket you could probably wipe and reinstall to get back to a clean state (and it would allow removing unlaunch if you wanted to get those back to an original state), but I'm not going to advise you to do this unless you know what you're doing

Reactions: KIlly728

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd question, but legit concerns.

Is $50 overpriced for a perfectly working DSi XL without game and stylus ?
A friend of mine just said it's expensive for that price but I really don't think so and started to show him I couldn't get one for cheaper.

I have my deep concerns I overpay for everything retro and even some modern games for like $30.

But to be honest, the price was really good for a DSi XL. What do you think?
Or is my friend just a cheapskate?

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything's relative. If there are dozens of people in your area selling DSi XL units for less than $50, then $50 is overpriced. If there is no one nearby who would ever consider selling one for that price, then it's a bargain. What are you expecting..?
What I'm expecting is my friend is just a cheapskate lmao.

Thanks!

F-00

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i need help with my r4 card, i tried every kernel but didn't find soluction at moment...
you can refer to the NDS Flashcart Index on what kernel to use on the Flashcart, the SD Card must be formatted in FAT32 in order for it to work, make sure that the SD Card itself isn't defective (if you don't know how, use Google), be sure to give it a nice alcohol rub with a cotton swab.

46nuko

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey'all!
I've recently modded my DSi, installed TWiLight Menu++, blah blah blah, and everything works fine with the exception of GBARunner2.
GBARunner2 just gives me a white screen no matter what I do.

>Have you re-formatted your SD card with 32kb cluster size?
Yep.
>Do you have the GBA BIOS on the root of the SD?
Yes I do.
>Have you tried another version of GBARunner2?
At least 5 of them.
>Have you tried another SD card?
Yep. Same thing.
>Not every game is compatible, blah blah
All of the games I've tried are in the compatible list.

It is a Japanese DSi, if that matters. I don't know what else I should try >︿<

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey'all!
I've recently modded my DSi, installed TWiLight Menu++, blah blah blah, and everything works fine with the exception of GBARunner2.
GBARunner2 just gives me a white screen no matter what I do.

>Have you re-formatted your SD card with 32kb cluster size?
Yep.
>Do you have the GBA BIOS on the root of the SD?
Yes I do.
>Have you tried another version of GBARunner2?
At least 5 of them.
>Have you tried another SD card?
Yep. Same thing.
>Not every game is compatible, blah blah
All of the games I've tried are in the compatible list.

It is a Japanese DSi, if that matters. I don't know what else I should try >︿<
You need to change the "Sound/Mic Frequency" setting to 32khz in TWLMenu++ Settings. The requirement is a bug, and will be fixed in the next version.

Reactions: 46nuko

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Warm balls in the winter +2