Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Kris1

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Uh i'm stuck hacking my dsi, i'm using the cfw dsi guide (https://dsi.cfw.guide/installing-unlaunch) and i'm stuck at "4. Hover over the TWiLight Menu++ options and find the one that has a path containing settings.srldr on the bottom screen" whenever i hover over the option the only path is where my boot.nds is located

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Uh i'm stuck hacking my dsi, i'm using the cfw dsi guide (https://dsi.cfw.guide/installing-unlaunch) and i'm stuck at "4. Hover over the TWiLight Menu++ options and find the one that has a path containing settings.srldr on the bottom screen" whenever i hover over the option the only path is where my boot.nds is located
NEVERMIND i figured it out sorry for wasting your time

MarcusF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. First of all I want to say thank you to all the community for all the work you have done and continue to do with hacking and homebrew on the DSI. I am interested in playing my backed up ROMs and we'll as GBA ROMs all on one device. From what I've been reading am I right in saying this is now possible without the use of flash carts and can all work off of a SD card, and if so what is the maximum size as I currently have a 64gb SD lying around I could use but thought I read 32gb was the maximum size? Thank you.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello. First of all I want to say thank you to all the community for all the work you have done and continue to do with hacking and homebrew on the DSI. I am interested in playing my backed up ROMs and we'll as GBA ROMs all on one device. From what I've been reading am I right in saying this is now possible without the use of flash carts and can all work off of a SD card, and if so what is the maximum size as I currently have a 64gb SD lying around I could use but thought I read 32gb was the maximum size? Thank you.
64 GB should be fine as long as you format it correctly (the guide will set you up with that), I believe the theoretical limit is 2 TB(?)

humble428

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I cant play Pokemon games on twilightmenu, it says there is a communication error error for some reason and goes to a white screen, is there a reason for that and a way to fix it?

lilhaaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Pokemon HeartGold keeps crashing, but I don't know why.

So whenever I try going into buildings or battles, the screen turns black but music keeps playing. it's been happening a lot throughout the game and i have the latest version of TWiLightMenu++ as well.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi,

So whenever I try going into buildings or battles, the screen turns black but music keeps playing. it's been happening a lot throughout the game and i have the latest version of TWiLightMenu++ as well.

You need a bigger save file. I use a 2 MB save file for Heart Gold and Soul Silver and works fine.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS, but needing a bigger safefile is a know issue in these games.
Maybe, but I never heard of anyone needing or suggesting a larger save file with nds-bootstrap though, whether the user uses a DSi or 3DS console.
Even the save file melonDS creates is 512KB, and TWLMenu++ uses the save size list from melonDS as well.

You seem to be the only one whose issues are fixed by using a larger save file, when running the game via nds-bootstrap.
How about you try trimming the save file down to 512KB? (Make a backup first, ofc.) Maybe the issue you've had has been fixed for a long time now.
If trimming it down causes issues, then nds-bootstrap probably needs a fix where it only reads somewhere in the save file, when past the actual size, thus emulating save mirroring.
Hi,

If you're using a DSi, the issue is caused by the RTC not being handled correctly.
Aside from switching to a 3DS console, it is currently unknown how to fix this.

Last edited by RocketRobz,
Reactions: banjo2

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Pokemon Black and White, Pokemon Black and White 2 and Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver need bigger save files, that has been know for years. That's not only due to the anti piracy measures but because the games store a lot more data.

Edit: Disgaea DS also needs a bigger save file otherwise at some point you may lose all your save data.

Last edited by raxadian,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NooB here.

So I saw that there was a branch release of GBARUNNER2 that was specific to the DSi ... I think it might move some things around in the extra memory space so that much larger games can be loaded and there is a rumor (not confirmed by me) that it has higher compatibility than the standard GBARUNNER2 builds.

However... since it's on a branch, it doesn't include some of the new quality of life changes like the new DSP sound handling which improves sound.

So my question is this... how likely is it that someone will either pull forward (I'm sure this isn't the right terms... but I don't know the terminology) changes from the mainline into the DSi "higher compatibility" branch? Or the reverse... pulling whatever magic exists in the DSi branch to the mainline so that those of us using a DSi would get the benefit of the "higher compatibility" (again, this is all theoretical as I've not tried it yet).

Dave

IcyZ1ne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hacked my Nintendo DSi a long time ago and forgot what I did to it, tried to update my UNLAUNCH version (currently 1.8 and changing to 1.9) but when I boot it up I just get the unlaunch screen with no options in it! what do I do! (P.S. it seems to only happen while I have my micro ds inserted, when I take it out, and boot it up without it, the menu appears just fine)
a.jpeg

Last edited by IcyZ1ne,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I hacked my Nintendo DSi a long time ago and forgot what I did to it, tried to update my UNLAUNCH version (currently 1.8 and changing to 1.9) but when I boot it up I just get the unlaunch screen with no options in it! what do I do! (P.S. it seems to only happen while I have my micro ds inserted, when I take it out, and boot it up without it, the menu appears just fine)
View attachment 273427
Try following the SD card setup guide
Also, Unlaunch 2.0 is safe, that page hasn't been updated in almost 2 years

IcyZ1ne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response! Ive reformatted my SD card,and it still hadn't worked, however by pure luck I figured out that my SD adapter had died and went to get a new one and everything works now!

putopavel

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello.

I am unable to play multi-player games via wireless communication. I am using a DSi and a New 3DS XL, both using TWL++ (19.1.1 for N3DS and 16.5.0 for DSi). It never works for "DS Download Play" (after the "demo" is downloaded, the other console gets an error); only for some games when being played with the same ROM.

Why is this happening?

PS: I think it has nothing to do, but I am using open WiFi (no encryption) just in case.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

I am unable to play multi-player games via wireless communication. I am using a DSi and a New 3DS XL, both using TWL++ (19.1.1 for N3DS and 16.5.0 for DSi). It never works for "DS Download Play" (after the "demo" is downloaded, the other console gets an error); only for some games when being played with the same ROM.

Why is this happening?

PS: I think it has nothing to do, but I am using open WiFi (no encryption) just in case.
You need to update TWiLight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap, it's likely the games that don't work are using cloneboot Download Play which was only fixed in nds-bootstrap v0.44.2 (included in TWiLight Menu++ v21.1.1): https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/updating

If any games still don't work on the latest update then maybe try disabling Async Card Read and/or Card Read DMA in their per-game settings (press Y on the game in TWiLight). And yeah, your Wi-Fi network doesn't have any impact on local DS multiplayer as they're just connecting to each other directly.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all...

In looking to support custom full-lower-screen overlays (256x192x8) for Nintellivision, does anyone know of any simple to drop-in code I could beg/borrow/steal that will read an 8-bit .BMP and render it on the screen? I can probably figure it out and write my own but thought it might have been done a few dozen times before :)

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night