Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't remember if this question has already been asked by me (or others) so I'm asking it again.
How come from SD-slot of my DSi XL, with only Memory Pit and TwilightMenu++ installed, jEnesisDS and Nitrografx don't work (the first one starts but doesn't find gen/md roms)? Instead the emulators for gb, gg, sms, nes work very well without Unlaunch.
I think with Unlaunch installed they should work, but for what reason they don't work without that?

Maybe a possible modification to these 2 emulators is too complex (so not worth it) for someone to be interested in doing it?

Are there other versions of these 2 emulators that would work without Unlaunch, or an alternative way to make them work?

Thanks.

P.S. I'll reply in advance to a predictable answer: I don't install Unlaunch because of the well-known risk of bricking the console.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember if this question has already been asked by me (or others) so I'm asking it again.
How come from SD-slot of my DSi XL, with only Memory Pit and TwilightMenu++ installed, jEnesisDS and Nitrografx don't work (the first one starts but doesn't find gen/md roms)? Instead the emulators for gb, gg, sms, nes work very well without Unlaunch.
I think with Unlaunch installed they should work, but for what reason they don't work without that?

Maybe a possible modification to these 2 emulators is too complex (so not worth it) for someone to be interested in doing it?

Are there other versions of these 2 emulators that would work without Unlaunch, or an alternative way to make them work?

Thanks.

P.S. I'll reply in advance to a predictable answer: I don't install Unlaunch because of the well-known risk of bricking the console.
  1. For jEnesisDS, nds-bootstrap's SD DLDI driver doesn't work properly in DSi mode, I believe. The driver's RAM disk mode doesn't work either, iirc.
  2. The included NitroGrafx build is old, so it's picky with certain SD cards. A new build should be able to fix that.

Mutagenic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cross-posting from another thread:

I was looking over the bootstrap compatibility list, and for Hotel Dusk and Infinite Space it says to use certain CPU speeds. Twilight++ gives me the option with most games, but for a few games it doesn't, like the two I mentioned. Why is that? If people suggest certain speeds, why wouldn't there be an ARM9 CPU Speed option for these titles? Thanks.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Cross-posting from another thread:

I was looking over the bootstrap compatibility list, and for Hotel Dusk and Infinite Space it says to use certain CPU speeds. Twilight++ gives me the option with most games, but for a few games it doesn't, like the two I mentioned. Why is that? If people suggest certain speeds, why wouldn't there be an ARM9 CPU Speed option for these titles? Thanks.
Some games are blacklisted from 133 MHz when it doesn't work well, if it's ever not shown it's using the correct one and the other is hidden because it doesn't work well. Hiding the blacklisted options was a fairly recent change so it used to be important to make sure people hadn't changed it on games where that breaks it.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some games are blacklisted from 133 MHz when it doesn't work well, if it's ever not shown it's using the correct one and the other is hidden because it doesn't work well. Hiding the blacklisted options was a fairly recent change so it used to be important to make sure people hadn't changed it on games where that breaks it.
I can confirm that Hotel Dusk works best with default NTR speed, and i haven't updated TWilightmenu for a while. I'm on a DSi XL, he can try for himself to see if the 133mhz option run/ or doesn't run well, and i see sometimes the performance can slightly change depending on what system a person is using (3DS on his case). Etc

Mutagenic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well I trust the people working on this stuff to make the correct call on that. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be seeing the option to change it or not, and it sounds like I shouldn't be. Thanks. For something like Hotel Dusk, I'll definitely be sticking to my original cart.

SpanishPirate

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The .ips for Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden is TDBJ-B17F and is included in v9.4.0. Make sure the crc32 for your game is 320145B9. Just tested and works fine.
I have installed the game with the english patch in my 3ds and I have the latest version of Twilight. My problem is that the game freeze when Im playing. I can´t undersatnd this terms you use. Please if you can explain me how can i do for my game to run perfectly without freeze, I will appreciate it. Thank you

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed the game with the english patch in my 3ds and I have the latest version of Twilight. My problem is that the game freeze when Im playing. I can´t undersatnd this terms you use. Please if you can explain me how can i do for my game to run perfectly without freeze, I will appreciate it. Thank you
I assume the English patch is conflicting with the anti-anti-piracy patch that is being auto-applied?

EDIT: disregard this resetting settings again worked somehow, it didn't at first. Not with Tetris DS, but with 42 All-Time Classics. Tetris DS needs DMA off.

Last edited by N7Kopper,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Video of the latest additions on DS Lite. Castle Conqueror: Heroes is included in the whitelist for regular/non-debug consoles, but in my experience it is hardly playable, really sluggish. The rest of the series require a debug console.

A Slot-2 flashcard with either 16MB or 32MB of RAM (ex. Supercard MiniSD) will fix the slowdowns.

Kuramations

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Came across a glitch/softlock in Ace attorney Investigations. I can’t progress and I can’t get out of it.

• Wow
Reactions: sley

Poch11

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Let me get on that!
Again my setup is 2x New Nintendo 3DS XL. Running Luma CFW. Each have Twilight Menu installed, with the DS games located on the 3DS SD. I have used 3DS Forwarder to run the DS games from the menu and have already configured the Twilight Menu to be in DSi mode. Uploading now @Robz8

What do you think? @Robz8
I played Pokemon Soulsilver on twilight++ menu just just fine (luma CFW, turned on nintendo wireless communication), but i have issue with trading and battling other player, i could enter the union room on second floor pokemon center, but i cant meet other player who is sitting next to me, by wireless communication with pokemon heartgold (same settings: twilight++ menu). perhaps you have any suggestion to solve the problem?

Bradge17

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it okay to update 3ds firmware to 11.15.0-47 with the latest version of twillightmenu++? I'm sorry if this question is already answered in any FAQ, can't seem to find anything about it on the net.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Is it okay to update 3ds firmware to 11.15.0-47 with the latest version of twillightmenu++? I'm sorry if this question is already answered in any FAQ, can't seem to find anything about it on the net.
Yes, 3DS version doesn't matter at all for TWiLight, the only thing you might need to be careful of is make sure your Luma is up to date (v10.2.1), however iirc 11.14.0 was the last update to break luma so you're probably already up to date.

To update Luma you can just install it from Universal-Updater, it'll be called "Luma3DS".

Reactions: RocketRobz

Bradge17

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, 3DS version doesn't matter at all for TWiLight, the only thing you might need to be careful of is make sure your Luma is up to date (v10.2.1), however iirc 11.14.0 was the last update to break luma so you're probably already up to date.

To update Luma you can just install it from Universal-Updater, it'll be called "Luma3DS".
All right, thank you very much!

Reactions: RocketRobz and Pk11

JMcG26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a n3dsxl and trying the widescreen patch with gta Chinatown, it seems to be stretched as opposed to being scaled properly. You can see it when you first boot the game and the suitcase lid flips up to the top screen and is stretched as opposed to matching the bottom. This is not expected correct? Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16