Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

CraftyCamerupt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
v18.2.0

Check here on how to update TWiLight Menu++:
What's new?
  • The Atari emulators have been updated to their latest versions!
  • (@Pk11) You can now select a custom font. See here on how to add one.
Improvements
  • (@Pk11 and various) Updated translations.
  • (@Pk11) More font data is now loaded, if running in DSi mode.
  • (@Pk11) DSi, 3DS, Saturn, and HBL themes: Selected item in the cheat list can now scroll.
Bug fixes
  • Native GBA ROM loader (DS Phat/lite):
    • Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Doom, and Doom II now boot!
    • The GBA GamePak Prefetch feature is now enabled before the game boots!
      This fixes some slowdown in some games, which don't occur in retail carts.
      NOTE: Games already use this feature, but as the wait states are patched out in order for the games to boot, games would previously be unable to enable the feature.
  • Fixed 3D cubes not being rendered in the 3DS theme, if photo/boxart color de-banding is turned on.
    • This skips photo/boxart color de-banding, if the 3D cube video is found.
  • (@Pk11) Changed `Greyscale` to `Grayscale`.
  • (@Pk11) Fixed non-ASCII DSiWare path being passed to Unlaunch.
  • Fixed cluster size warning being shown if cluster size is above 32KB.

I updated the TWiLight Menu to this version and whenever I get into the program, it will just give me a Guru Meditation Error. I've never had this issue with the program and I'm concerned if it's my micro SD card or the program itself.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated the TWiLight Menu to this version and whenever I get into the program, it will just give me a Guru Meditation Error. I've never had this issue with the program and I'm concerned if it's my micro SD card or the program itself.
It's a TWLMenu++ issue, and is already made note of.
Try this nightly build, and see if that fixes it.

CraftyCamerupt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's a TWLMenu++ issue, and is already made note of.
Try this nightly build, and see if that fixes it.
Ok I'm now having another issue. I am right now on the version you requested and loading up works just fine, but the games that I have on the micro SD card aren't showing at all.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm now having another issue. I am right now on the version you requested and loading up works just fine, but the games that I have on the micro SD card aren't showing at all.
Make sure you're in the folder with the games, and that they have the correct file extension.
If so, and they still aren't shown, reset the settings by restarting TWLMenu++ and holding A+B+X+Y to reset the settings.

CraftyCamerupt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you're in the folder with the games, and that they have the correct file extension.
If so, and they still aren't shown, reset the settings by restarting TWLMenu++ and holding A+B+X+Y to reset the settings.

The games were in the folder I went into and just reset the settings. Finally it works and I can play my games.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v18.2.1

Check here on how to update TWiLight Menu++:
What's new?
Improvements
  • (@Pk11) Optimized cheat writing code.
    • This shaves off nearly 300KB from each theme .srldr file.
  • On DS Phat/lite consoles, the bigger DSi-type font is now loaded into the DS Memory Expansion Pak or a similar Slot-2 cart.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed Guru Meditation Error occurring when loading the current ROM list in the DSi/3DS/Saturn/HBL themes!
    • SD removal images have been moved to near the end of the DSi RAM.
    • Box art cache and 3D cube video have been moved to the extra 16MB on 3DS consoles.
  • DSi/3DS/Saturn/HBL themes: Fixed top screen not being cleared, if SD is removed.

gothicall

Blah blah blah!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
AK Menu not available anymore? Only can select between R4 Original, Gameboy Color, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS, SEGA Saturn, Homebrew Launcher (???).

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get an error can't mount sd card with GBA ROMs? Not sure what to do.
Try reformatting the SD card to FAT32 with 32kb cluster size (even if it's already FAT32).
AK Menu not available anymore? Only can select between R4 Original, Gameboy Color, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS, SEGA Saturn, Homebrew Launcher (???).
Yep. It got removed to prevent SD corruption. It'll be re-added in the future.

sk22

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey again! Is there kind of firmware I can boot from Luma3DS (or fastboot3DS etc.) that lets me boot right into TWiLight Menu++? Something like open_agb_firm, but that boots the TWL firmware, and maybe right into boot.nds or something, letting me run TWiLight Menu++? Thanks in advance!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey again! Is there kind of firmware I can boot from Luma3DS (or fastboot3DS etc.) that lets me boot right into TWiLight Menu++? Something like open_agb_firm, but that boots the TWL firmware, and maybe right into boot.nds or something, letting me run TWiLight Menu++? Thanks in advance!
Nope, there isn't.

Reactions: sk22 and banjo2

gRuNt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Anyone know how much battery lasts on a DSi with 66mhz and how much with 133mhz mode ? Should I just keep it on 133mhz all the time ?
Also since I am on a DSi shoul I run Twilightmenu in DSi mode or keep it on DS whats the actual difference ?

Thank you in advance and sorry for bein a newb but I coudnt find the answers with a quick search.

Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know how much battery lasts on a DSi with 66mhz and how much with 133mhz mode ? Should I just keep it on 133mhz all the time ?
Also since I am on a DSi shoul I run Twilightmenu in DSi mode or keep it on DS whats the actual difference ?

Thank you in advance and sorry for bein a newb but I coudnt find the answers with a quick search.
Run in DS mode, since DSi mode doesn't work in some games.
Also, keep it in 66mhz. 133mhz is only needed for the very laggy games, but can cause side-effects.

grassemblem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to play some Drayano Pokemon hacks recently, according to the readmes and the forum posts about them they contain the Anti-Piracy patch. When I boot the games through Twilight Menu++ I still get the AP warning. Some of the checksums were incorrect on the prepatched versions but the issue still occurred when I patched the correct Heart Gold rom. Is there some issue with the RAM AP Patch from TWL and games that have been AP patched? I'm wondering if this is a false positive but I have been reluctant to play the games too much in case of some AP crash.

EDIT: I just patched Platinum with the Renegade Platinum hack and TWL has given me no such error, I might try to patch HG with the newer patcher included in the RP download to see if that has a different outcome.

Last edited by grassemblem,

MysteriousOven

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, many thanks for this project. I'm using 18.2.1 on an (Old) 3DS with the latest luma3ds and was trying to combine it with an old Acekard 2i in what I believe to be a supported configuration, but I'm having some issues. I did the following installation:
  • Installed TWiLight Menu on the 3DS's SDCard following the "Installing (3DS, Manual)" instructions: copied _nds / BOOT.NDS / roms and installed the two .cias with FBI.
  • Installed TWiLight Menu on the Acekard 2i following the "Installing (Flashcard)" instructions: started with a fresh microSD, installed AKAIO 1.9.0, then copied both _nds / BOOT.NDS / roms and Afwd.dat / _afwd (from the Flashcart Loader/Acekard 2(i) folder) to the root of the Acekard's microSD. I ignored Autoboot for now as I was first trying to get everything to work.
At this point, TWiLight Menu booted from the 3DS's SD works fine, NDS roms boot using nds-bootloader. However, I get several issues when attempting to chain TWLMenu from the 3DS's SD Card with TWLMenu from the flashcard, which from the documentation looks like it should be a supported configuration for getting things like enhanced sound, clock speed and SD access while being able to use the (better compatibility) flashcard loader.

These two work fine:
  • Booting the Acekard 2i from Slot 1 directly from the 3DS home menu, then executing TWLMenu from AKAIO works fine, including using the flashcard loader when "Use nds-bootstrap (B4DS)" is set to NO, but obviously no access to the 3DS's SDCard and can't change clock speed / sound sample rate.
  • Booted TWLMenu from 3DS's SDCard, kept "SCFG access in Slot-1" to "OFF", booted Acekard from Slot 1: same results as above, as expected

However, things started to get weird:
  • Booted TWLMenu from 3DS's SDCard, set "SCFG access in Slot-1" to "ON" and "S1SD: Use nds-bootstrap (B4DS)" to "NO" as detailed in the manual. Also kept "SD Access in Slot-1" to "OFF" at this time. Booting onto the Acekard and then TWLMenu from Slot 1 succeeds, but three unexpected things happen when running this chainloaded TWLMenu:
    • The TWLMenu splash screen, DS Classic Menu and settings all look fine, but the main menu has a graphic glitch at the bottom of both the the top and bottom screen, regardless of the theme (the last perhaps 10 lines of pixels at the bottom of each screen are mirroring exactly their 10 lines above).
    • Even though "SD Access in Slot-1" is still set to OFF, I *can* switch to the 3DS's SD card by doing SELECT + Down, which I wasn't expecting.
    • Booting a NDS rom from the Acekard's microSD from TWLMenu when chainloaded like this results in a black screen with "akmenu4.nds not found".
    • Also, booting a NDS rom from the 3DS's SD uses nds-bootstrap and proceeds to boot the ROM fine, I believe this is the expected behaviour since from what I read there's no support for booting roms on the 3DS SD Card with the Acekard loader.
  • Booted TWLMenu from 3DS's SDCard, set "SD Access in Slot-1" to "ON", booted onto Slot 1+TWLMenu: same exact same behaviour as the above on all points.
  • Booted TWLMenu from 3DS's SDCard, set "Slot-1 MicroSD access" to ON. Switching to the Acekard's microSD using SELECT + Down on the 3DS's TWLMenu now works. Goes directly to a white screen when I try to run a rom with set to "S1SD: Use nds-bootstrap" set to "No". With "S1SD: Use nds-bootstrap" set to "Yes", I see the debug messages onto a black screen when I have Debug turned on (ndsPath is pointing to "fat:/roms/nds/Name of the Rom.nds"), but then a white screen following it (no nds-bootstrap loading screen). Not sure if they're both expected behaviour for the Acekard.

Another thing I noticed is that on the DS Classic Menu in TWiLight Menu fairly often the top entry only says "slot1" with no icons, if I eject the card and put it back, then the proper Acekard logo and description show up, but regardless of what is displayed there, the behaviour is always consistent, so I assume that's an unrelated issue.

In summary:
TWLMenu is working fine on its own when booted via the 3DS SD Card, it's also working fine on its own when booted via Slot 1+AKAIO. Chainloading 3DS TWLMenu onto the Acekard TWLMenu also works fine with "SCFG access in Slot-1" to OFF, although this is pointless since you get none of the benefits, might as well just boot the Slot 1 card directly.

The trouble happens when I chainload 3DS SDCard TWLMenu -> Acekard TWLMenu with "SCFG access in Slot-1" to ON, there's a graphical glitch on the menu and I can no longer boot any rom via the Acekard loader ("akmenu4.nds not found"). nds-bootstrap still works fine. "SD Access in Slot-1" seems to have no effect, I always seem to have SD access in Slot 1 when SCFG access is on, regardless of this setting.

I'm also a bit unsure as to what expect of "Slot-1 MicroSD access" when running on the 3DS TWLMenu, neither nds-bootstrap nor the Acekard loader work for booting ROMs off the Acekard microSD from the 3DS TWLMenu work for me, but I believe my Acekard 2i is on an old bootloader (not the one with the horse icon), so that may be causing issues. I also have an even older Acekard 2.1 that I can do testing on, the graphic glitch + "akmenu4.nds not found" issue on chainloading happens there as well, but I haven't tested the other scenarios extensively with it.

Sorry for the long post, I spent a while trying to debug this and just wanted to figure out what is wrong with my configuration. Hopefully that is all clear.

Last edited by MysteriousOven,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.