[DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Robz8, May 28, 2017.

1. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Go here to make forwarders: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/
    Also, TWL means DSi-Enhanced/Exclusive.

Johnnycentral1 likes this.
  2. TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX Advanced Member

Jun 23, 2006
    United States
    South Florida
    How do I manually install the latest nightly? The first post says the updater is unable to install the current version properly

3. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    It's unable to install stable releases. The nightlies still install properly.

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX likes this.
  4. Johnnycentral1

Johnnycentral1 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2019
    United States
  5. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Yes.

Johnnycentral1 likes this.
  6. TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX Advanced Member

Jun 23, 2006
    United States
    South Florida
    I used the updater to install the latest nightly, then rebooted, but TWiLight Menu++ still crashes with the same guru error. I even deleted all the NDS ROMs and put 2 different ROMs freshly downloaded from a different source to see if my ROM files were causing the issue, but that didn't work either. TWiLight Menu++ loads just fine, everything seems to be working, but crashes once I enter the ROM list and push right on the D-Pad to start scrolling.

I then went to use the updater to try the latest nightly of the nds-bootstrap to see if that would help anything, but now the updater crash dumps and won't load at all. I did enable logging in the TWiLight Menu++ options, would anything there help you see what's gong on?

7. suzsuzuki

suzsuzuki GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2016
    Brazil
    What "hold L" before start the game means?

8. raphamotta

raphamotta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2013
    Holding L tells nds-bootstrap to not load the arm9 side of cardEngine into cached memory, and instead, is loaded into non-cached memory.
    In order for ce9 to be loaded into cached memory, the game's heap size has to be shrunk, which breaks some games.

9. Werosky

Werosky Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2019
    Mexico
    Puebla, México
    It's impossible to install DS games using CIAS, you must use Twilight Menu++ in order to play any DS game.

10. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Either TWiLight Menu++ or the forwarder CIAs (which forward to the game on the SD card) will work.

FateForWindows likes this.
  11. AlterL

AlterL Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2019
    Venezuela
    hey I got a question is there anyway to lose the numbers and letters that appear one side of my screen when I try to use Widescreen mode???

12. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Yes. Redownload and rerun the patcher, then copy the new "TwlBg.cxi" to "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/" and rename to "Widescreen.cxi".

AlterL likes this.
  13. AlterL

AlterL Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2019
    Venezuela
    well know I feel like a fool, but would you care to provide it the link please? I lost it and can't seem to find it

edit: found it, feel like even more of a fool. BTW I'm using windows 7, don't know if that makes a difference, also I managed to apply the patch again with no results, is there anything I might be missing here?

Last edited by AlterL, Aug 20, 2019
  14. themanuel

themanuel GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 6, 2009
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Silly question:
    If I delete the nightly version of nds_bootstrap, I can't load DS games, even if I have the stable version and select to use it in settings.
    Is this normal behavior?

15. Elwyndas

Elwyndas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    The nightly and stable version is the same file. So if you delete that nightly, there is no bootstrap at all. I suggest to rename to stable nds_bootstrap before updating, and then reverse if you are done experimenting.

16. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Did you follow all of the widescreens steps in the first post?

17. themanuel

themanuel GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 6, 2009
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Sorry, I woke up a bit dumb today. The installation process included a set of stable files and a set of nightly files. I thought that if I selected "stable" in options, it would ignore the nightly and utilize the stable file and I could delete the nightly, but I must have misinterpreted how it works.
    If I just want to use stable, it sounds like I can leave the nightly lying where it is and simply select stable in options. Then when I want to update to the latest stable I simply replace the stable file and I can leave the nightly outdated, correct?

18. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Yes.

19. themanuel

themanuel GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 6, 2009
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    OK. Thanks a lot, folks.

20. Kupa

Kupa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2019
    United States
    How does one set up the gba functionality within twilight menu?