[DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Robz8, May 28, 2017.

1. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    1) Yes. So in TWL Menu++, only games that are compatible will use the newly generated cxi.
    2) Not exatcly. What anamorphic does in this case is squishes the in-game elements before stretching them horizontally, so they don't look fat after being stretched. You don't lose any of the y-axis detail or height.
    3) You can see a bit more of the x-axis on the screen in 3D games, yes.
    4) Pixels get squished and stretched, but the results are imperfect... for example, your trainer might lose details that were only one pixel wide before the squish and stretch, like their eye detail.
    5) You can put the generated file in SD:/luma/sysmodules and name it TwlBg.cxi, and enable external modules in your luma settings. This will make all DS(i) titles widescreen, however, and will stretch the incompat ones.

Last edited by Sophie-bear, Aug 16, 2019
    Robz8 and playstays_shun like this.
  2. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Thanks !

May hold off on forced 16:10 for incompat ones for now because that’ll result in me actually toggling 4:3 and 16:10 all the time , but good to know how to. I don’t need absolute perfect results but
    Obvious squish without any extra love usually annoys me over time

3. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Correct
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it gets stretched horizontally more than vertically with some cheat code magic to make it look right.
    The camera in games will be adjusted so nothing looks stretched.
    In Gen 4 and 5, they started making the overworlds actually 3D unlike Gen 3's actually 2D overworld.
    You don't, they're not compatible.

Robz8 likes this.
  4. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Thanks

why can no one explain anamorphic in a way I can fully wrap my head around? haha

How does it hold onto horizontal height detail, and this part makes sense expanding bc of camera angle, but stretch it out while not looking distorted except in some 2d elements ?

And I thought you can force 16:10 for not compatible games its just not going to have any aspect ratio anamorphic voodoo .. thats what the other poster was saying is that it is possible

5. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Model geometry doesn't distort because it's properly scalable. Pixels on 2d elements distort because when you shrink them horizontally, they lose pixel data.

playstays_shun likes this.
  6. zrasam94

zrasam94 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Malaysia
    Hi. Does anyone here know if the memory link for linking Pokemon Black save to Black2 works in the Twilightmenu?

7. Intervención

Intervención Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2016
    Barcelona
    Couldn't make it to work personally

8. dragon12

dragon12 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2012
    Brazil
    Hi, I have a question.

Do the 3DS flashcards users have the same benefits as if it was running from the console SD card, like better audio and widescreen support? I tried to configure these yesterday but with no success (could not find the widescreen option in the setup and didn't notice any difference with the audio).

9. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Only Acekard 2i and R4 Ultra work with direct access from TWLMenu++ on SD card.

dragon12 likes this.
  10. Zapster580

Zapster580 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    United States
    Hi, I just recently got your app and I gotta say nice work but I'm having issues starting Bakugan Battle Brawlers in the latest version after the mobi clip intro screen it goes black and just stays stuck no audio no nothing. If anyone is aware of this issue please help me fix it I would like to play this game

11. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Try holding L immediately after pressing A/START to launch the game.

12. Zapster580

Zapster580 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    United States
    Thank you Will this need to be done every time?

13. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Until a new TWLMenu++ version is released, then yes.
    What's the TID for this game? Please check by pressing Y in TWLMenu++ ROM menu.

14. Mazamin

Mazamin GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    Is there a way to create a cia forwarder for a nds game? I've seen some methods, but I don't know if they are compatible with widescreen

robyspy likes this.
  15. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    They are not compatible with widescreen, as they do not read a widescreen cheat.

Mazamin likes this.
  16. luca47

luca47 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2019
    Peru
    Been using this for a month, im glad it has a 16:10 feature now! I mainly play pokemon DS games and those doesnt look very good on 16:10 (text look wierd in pokemon platinum and HG, is not streched but the scaling doesnt look even in all the letters and the faces too, unless im missing some extra settings). But still thanks for the hardwork.
    (links with an extra space beacuse in a new member)
    puu .sh/E7c8C/83b28a63d5.jpg
    puu .sh/E7c8D/5c3d752bd2.jpg
    puu .sh/E7c8F/3a97b6c52b.jpg

edit: 16:9 to 16:10 sorry for the mistake !

Last edited by luca47, Aug 19, 2019
  17. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    It's 16:10 for 3DS, not 16:9.

luca47 likes this.
  18. TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX Advanced Member

Jun 23, 2006
    United States
    South Florida
    I'm having an issue with a new install of TWiLight Menu++ on a N3DSXL. I installed as per the instructions in the first post, but when I bring up my NDS ROM list, the program crashes. "Guru Meditation Error! data abort!"
    Only option is to press home and close the program, or reboot the 3DS. I'm not sure what is giving me a problem. I installed the older version of TWiLight Menu++ on my "old" 3DSXL a few weeks ago, and it worked right away without issue. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem on this New 3DS XL.
    My NDS (working) ROMS were copied from my AceKard 2i to the 3DS sd card and put in the correct folder. Could those ROMs be causing the problem? Do I need to find a source for different ROMS?
    I'd really like to get this working so I can try out the widescreen feature :P
    [​IMG] 20190819_151253.

19. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Try installing the latest nightly of TWLMenu++, using the updater.

20. Johnnycentral1

Johnnycentral1 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2019
    United States
    Hello, I am so confused, I recently just hacked my 3DS XL with the guide.

I would like to play these 2 games,

I also would like to put them on my home menu instead of going thru files and rom folders.

Do I need twilight app to do this? Or just download the cia like normal with fbi?

What does the TWL mean? 777.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted