Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible the latest CIAs didn't overwrite the ones on the console.
Delete the TWiLight Menu++ titles in purple text, using FBI, then install the CIAs again.

I don’t see any in there with purple text

I can re add them using microSD management and reinstall

I never got a merge ask when overwriting _nds folder too, just replaced all files that existed

3dsnes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8 So there's nothing I can do to improve the pixely look of the widescreen? That's normal?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Robz8 So there's nothing I can do to improve the pixely look of the widescreen? That's normal?

I can post a picture of mario 64 DS 4:3 vs 16:10 if that would help

3dsnes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8
Last thing before I let you go, is there anything I can do on my end to clean up the pixely look of the widescreen on my N3DSXL? If not, it's not a big deal at all, I am already grateful for the work you have already done this far.
Is it essentially streching the original 4:3 into 16:10? There's no way for me to get the image to look cleaner in widescreen?

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, both are correct.
Sounds like touch should've worked properly then.

Are the games displaying fine in 16:10 though? Like, no stretched characters or no stretched 3D world?

Looks pretty good for most part in my limited use with it ... dang im wondering what I should do..

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8
Last thing before I let you go, is there anything I can do on my end to clean up the pixely look of the widescreen on my N3DSXL? If not, it's not a big deal at all, I am already grateful for the work you have already done this far.
Is it essentially streching the original 4:3 into 16:10? There's no way for me to get the image to look cleaner in widescreen?
Right.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i actually have an idea let me post back in a few min

i am a damned fool! didnt add _nds contents to sd:\_nds from the 3ds folder, just the boot.nds and _nds from root of the 7z... overlooked that detail in manual upgrade.

now it works perfect

thank you so much, youre very patient and responsive

Last edited by playstays_shun,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like the problem with dragon quest ix and saves has been rectified. I think it was ap causing this problem, so I used nds-scene tool to remove it. it no longer seems to get stuck randomly on loading a save.

fredito1212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello again!
I have two questions

First one, how can i make it work nds-bootstrap directly on my flashcart, i have and r4i SDHC 20XX, i tried to place bootstrap on Flashcart sd card but i got an error, i successfully autoboot TWiLight but i had no way to startup the nds backups.

And the second one is, i can achieve to use the widescreen mod with the flashcart, because i did all in the instructions, but i cannot see the option to turn on the widescreen.

Thank you again for you'r time and patience guys!

Hello again!
I have two questions

First one, how can i make it work nds-bootstrap directly on my flashcart, i have and r4i SDHC 20XX, i tried to place bootstrap on Flashcart sd card but i got an error, i successfully autoboot TWiLight but i had no way to startup the nds backups.

And the second one is, i can achieve to use the widescreen mod with the flashcart, because i did all in the instructions, but i cannot see the option to turn on the widescreen.

Thank you again for you'r time and patience guys!

So i got another question, someone had problems with ban in 3DS using the CIAS method? Thanks again!

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thanks worked like a charm! removing the plastic snap on (orzly) gets easier every time but still a PITA.

1) can you eli5 why this feature isn't baked in and has to be manually done with that .exe and .bat to make the magic happen?
2) also more important, its 'normal' to see a quick graphical glitch on right side of screen booting up a game (someone screenshotted it, but I don't see it when the game actually loads) . not sure if all or just some titles, just started playing/testing

Looks great so far from a quick glance!

I'm not Robz, but afaik, the widescreen feature consists of two parts.
First, there is a patch for TWL_FIRM. TWL_FIRM is the part of the 3DS's OS, that handles DS/i games. Sono researched TWL_FIRM to find out, how to modify the filter it applies to DS/i games to make them fill the screen.
When you launch DS/i games normally on any 3DS, they get stretched by a non-integer value, to fill the screen, and blurred, so you can't see, that the pixels aren't stretched equally. Sono looked into that matter and found out how to apply several different effects to DS/i games by patching TWL_FIRM, the part of the 3DS's OS.
That means: Step one is to stretch the output of TWL_FIRM, which is done by "that .exe and .bat magic" on a computer, since you have to directly patch a file from the 3DS's OS, which apparently can't be done that easily on the 3DS itself.
Step two is applying a cheat to a game to squish the video output, which actually is baked into TWL Menu++. The output needs to be squished, because TWL_FIRM stretches it out again, which makes the game look normal again, for the most part.

I hope, that the stuff I said was correct, since I didn't read Sono's thread about the TWL_FIRM widescreen patch itself, so feel free to correct mean, if I'm wrong.
I also hope, that you now know why patching TWL_FIRM isn't baked into TWL Menu++.

Last edited by seseiSeki,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool thanks makes more sense

1) and the original file is preserved, twilight++ just points to the modified one?

2) And anamorphic = less height and more width to make widescreen out of full screen?

3) Also utilizing the camera view for 3D games ?

4) How is a 2d game like Pokemon able to be done I thought 2d were locked at 4:3 bc the grid layout and all?

5) And how do I force 16:10 if I want to for not compatible games? Didn’t seem to play stretched for like NSMB

I love how much life is breathed into ‘dead’ systems. This is truly awesome

My ds collection is small anyways and most of the heavy hitters are on the list already

Last edited by playstays_shun,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Are you going to bake yourself a cake?