Gaming DS Games of the Month: May 2010

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't noticed my trend, I post these threads around 10 days to one week before the next month. Just so you can discuss all the games before the month (maybe even during
tongue.gif
) and then continue discussion on the release threads. YEAH STRATEGY.

Well, it's better than April at least.

You can read the Wii version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.
- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Super Mario Galaxy 2 was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

Dementium II

Developed by: Renegade Kid
Published by: SouthPeak Interactive
Release date: May 4th
Genre: FPS
My Hype Level: Guild level meter delayed until next month
GBAtemp Hype Level: Hype level meter delayed until next month

DementiumII_FOB_DSboxart_160w.jpg

The following text (even the release notice) was from last month. Obviously there's a trend.

It was set for release last month, but it's now been moved to this month. So, yeah...

Anyway, I'm too chickenshit to play the first game and probably this. FPS games on the DS have been decent enough, but just cause shitty hand cramps a lot, which is a huge turn off to me. Still, Dementium II looks high quality and should be sure to please DS FPS and horror fans, as well as anyone who just likes to see lead fly.

Tetris Party Deluxe

Developed by: Hudson Soft/Tetris Online, Inc.
Published by: Majesco
Release date: May 25th
Genre: Puzzle
My Hype Level: The first one was awesome
GBAtemp Hype Level: Vaguely remembering this...

TetrisPartyDeluxe_Package-Front_DSboxart_160w.jpg

I posted a few news articles regarding Tetris Party Deluxe a while back but I sorta forgot until now. The first Tetris Party is like the best WiiWare game ever. Don't say "OH WORLD OF GOO IS BETTER" because I put a lot of hours into Tetris Party. The multiplayer was awesome. This is the sequel, with more modes and stuff, and also with a DS version. Looking forward to this puppy, as I wasn't too fond of Tetris DS for some reason.

Dawn of Heroes

Developed by: Wicked Studious
Published by: Majesco
Release date: May 25th
Genre: Strategy RPG
My Hype Level: I got sick of this genre a long time ago
GBAtemp Hype Level: Some minor buzz

Dawn-of-Heroes_US_BoxCover_E10boxart_160w.jpg

Yet another game pushed back to May. April showers bring May flowers, I guess. Anyway, it's a SRPG so off the bat I'm not too interested (not that it's a bad genre, I'm just really sick of them), but it looks like it has some decent potential.

Jam with the Band

Developed by: Nintendo R&D2/Nintendo SDD
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: May 21st (Europe)
Genre: Music
My Hype Level: This looks really promising
GBAtemp Hype Level: HOLY SHIT A LOCALIZATION

bandbrothers_jpdsboxboxart_160w.jpg

IDK what the Jam with the Band official cover art is, so this is the one for Daigasso. I think... Anyway, Jam with the Band is the European "localization" of Daigasso! Band Brothers. Well, really, it's like the Elite Beat Agents to Osu! Tatakae! Ouedan! So that means the same general concept but different songs and stuff to appeal to a different audience. Which is good because most J-Pop makes me cringe (some J-Rock isn't bad). Keep your eyes pealed!

Iron Man 2

Developed by: Sega Studio USA
Published by: Sega
Release date: May 4th
Genre: Shooter
My Hype Level: Hm, it may actually work
GBAtemp Hype Level: Shovelware
dry.gif

ironman_2_esrb_dsboxart_160w.jpg

Raise your hand if you're seeing this in theaters? Or raise your other hand if you saw the movie when it leaked months ago? Anyway, most movie-to-video game conversions are usually pawned as shit, but the DS has actually a surprising record of being decent. Speed Racer was awesome, as were Star Wars: Episode III, Over the Hedge, etc. The impressions have made this as a 2-D shmup/beat em up of sorts, so it could be pretty good. But then again it could be shit.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Developed by: I actually couldn't find this out
Published by: Ubisoft
Release date: May 18th (America), May 20th (Australia), May 21st (Europe)
Genre: Platformer/Action
My Hype Level: A possible return to 2-D Prince?
GBAtemp Hype Level: WHERE'S THE WII VERSION?

Prince-of-Persia-Forgotten-Sands_NDS_US_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

Well, most of the Forgotten Sands versions are getting some decent buzz, outside of the DS version. And with these types of games, the DS usually gets the short end of the stick. Well, I think this is gonna be 2-D instead of 3-D (which is good since the DS isn't exactly great with 3-D, especially on Prince of Persia's scale), so it could be good. Or it could suck.

Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow

Developed by: Tri-Crescendo
Published by: D3 Publishers
Release date: May 18th
Genre: RTS/RPG
My Hype Level: What the fuck is Blue Dragon
GBAtemp Hype Level: IDK

ggn_blue_dragon_awakened_shadow.png

I couldn't find the American cover art anywhere, so I think this is the Japanese one.

I really have no idea what Blue Dragon is, but what I know is that the first DS game was kinda a RTS/RPG hybrid and was supposedly pretty decent. I haven't tried it and really have no desire to, though. But hey, if you're a Blue Dragon fan out there, this may just be for you.

Other titles

- Picross 3D: 5/3 (America) (I already did a piece on this for the European version, so that's why it wasn't in this month's article)
- Captain Tsubasa: Gekitou no Kiseki: 5/20 (Japan)
- Medarot DS: Kabuto Version/Kuwagata Version: 5/27 (Japan)
- Legend of Kay: 5/28 (Europe) (Provided that it's not delayed
tongue.gif
)

Overall Summary

Better than April at least. We get some decent titles, with April's push backs of Dementium II and Dawn of Heroes, as well as the new Tetris Party, the localized version of Daigasso!, a sequel to Blue Dragon, and some potential stinkers or winners in Iron Man 2 and Prince of Persia.

Next month is relatively decent. There's the Mega Man Zero Collection for the fanboys, the new Transformers games, some Japanese attack with Ghost Trick and Love Plus +, as well as the new Puzzle Quest and Lego Harry Potter. Can the DS be picking up from a shitty April?

Have a nice May!

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, a lot of good things coming up in the near future! :yayMay:
Especially looking forward to Tetris, Blue Dragon, Jam with the Band and, of course, Dementium II.
yaynds.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll take Dementium II, Tetris Party and to be honest I can't say I am that excited anymore about either.

Prince of Persia looks more interesting on PSP for me...thats it really.

Iron Man 2, well the first one was half good and half awful and that was by A2M who have the talent but mostly lack the time to make games. I liked the shooting sections but on foot parts were dreadful. HVS have way too much on their plate to actually make a good Wii/DS Iron Man game that they don't even need to make an decent effort on.

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Omgg, Daigasso is finally getting a localization!
biggrin.gif
, tetris deluxe party, also Medarots is coming out :3, this is my favorite month this year (at the moment anyways).

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhh, looking forward to a few games this month then! I can finally churn out some recent reviews then!

Oh and yay for Medarot DS! (It won't be easy to play though :/)

BEE TEE DUBS. Thanks Guildy for taking the time to write this!

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really hoping that Legend of Kay isn't delayed again, I've wanted to play since I heard of it. I never heard of the PS2 version, given the amount of animal mascots on the PS2, one would think it would get a lot of buzz...

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'll get Jam With The Band, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, and Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow. For Iron Man 2 I'll get the PSP version.

BTW, Guild McCommunist, why is Blue Dragon boxart bigger than the rest? It's not fair
tongue.gif

Empoleom

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
looking forward for tetris party deluxe(its better playing a deluxe version on a ds using a flashcart than in a wii for 1000-1500 nintendo points), daigasso and prince os persia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.