Gaming DS Games of the Month: June 2010

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Halfway through the year, and we've got a quiet month for the DS. Alright.

You can read the Wii version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.
- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Super Mario Galaxy 2 was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

Mega Man Zero Collection

Developed by: Capcom
Published by: Capcom
Release date: June 8th (America), June 10th (Japan), June 11th (Europe)
Genre: Action
My Hype Level: I really don't care
GBAtemp Hype Level: HOLY SHIT I LOVE MEGA MAN

Mega-Man-Zero-Collection_NDS_US_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

I never really cared for Mega Man after the whole 8-bit era and when they started making him all anime-ized and cartoon-ized or whatever you want to call it. But hey, he now has a larger fanbase than every before, so I guess that's nothing to complain about. Well, this is a compilation of all the Mega Man Zero games on the GBA, now on the DS. A lot of people want this one, but in all reality, I might as well just play the games on my 3-in-1 if I wanted to.

Puzzle Quest 2

Developed by: Infinite Interactive
Published by: D3 Publisher
Release date: June 22nd (America)
Genre: Puzzle RPG
My Hype Level: DS game of the year, honestly
GBAtemp Hype Level: They're not as big Puzzle Quest freaks as me.

puzzle_quest_2boxart_160w.jpg

I will go on and on about how Puzzle Quest is one of the best games of the decade. I love it to death. It's addictive as hell, challenging, accessible, and combines genres perfectly with tons and tons of content. When they announced a true sequel to the original Puzzle Quest (not Galactrix, not Chronicles), I was super psyched. The only bummer is that it's NOT on the PSP, and I love the PSP version over the DS version. But hey, it's a great game regardless.

Transformers: War for Cybertron Autobots/Decepticons

Developed by: Vicarious Visions
Published by: Activision
Genre: Shooter
My Hype Level: IDK, looks alright
GBAtemp Hype Level: Zzz...

transformers_autobots_ds_e10boxart_160w.jpg

It's the Autobots cover, deal with it.

Anyway, War for Cybertron seems like a good enough concept. An original franchise game that uses the licenses pretty well. I mean, it turned out great for Arkham Asylum, so it could work here. Well, the DS versions had some decent enough screens but, as we all know, the DS/Wii get the short end of the stick on most multiplatform titles. It could be good or bad, who knows. Although Transformers games on the DS have been the exact definition of "incredibly average".

Dragon Ball Origins 2

Developed by: Game Republic
Published by: Namco
Genre: Action Adventure
My Hype Level: Meh, it's Legend of Zelda DS skinned with Dragon Ball... I'll pas
GBAtemp Hype Level: KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAAA.

Dragon-Ball-Origins-2_NDSPackboxart_160w.jpg

This came out last month in Japan but it was, of course, in Japanese. This is the official localization. Anyway, Dragon Ball Origins is kinda like the Legend of Zelda DS titles except with Dragon Ball. If you know me, you'll know I'm not very fond of the Zelda DS titles, and that I'm not very fond of Dragon Ball. Putting both of them together basically means "I'll pass" or "I'll play it if I'm desperately bored".

Lego Harry Potters: Years 1-4

Developed by: Traveller's Tales
Published by: Warner Bros. Interactive
Release date: June 29th (America)
Genre: Action
My Hype Level: Another LEGO reskin
dry.gif

GBAtemp Hype Level: Meh.

Lego-Harry-Potter-Years-1-4_BoxShot_NDS_2D_fboxart_160w.jpg

This game has already been delayed a bunch so it could get pushed back for all we know. Well, LEGO games aren't really that bad, the game is that they all seems the same: run around, beat up blocks, and do some puzzles/platforming. I mean, I enjoyed LEGO Indy quite a bit and Star Wars wasn't bad, but they all seem to just be reskins. Anyway, Harry Potter is the next franchise in the limelight, and it could be alright. But the DS also doesn't get the full-on console versions (unlike the PSP), so it could be packed poorly.

Other titles

- Legend of Kay: 6/7 (...provided it's not delayed again) (Europe)
- Toy Story 3: 6/15 (America)
- River City Soccer Hooligans: 6/18 (America)
- Ghost Trick: 6/24 (Japan)
- Love Plus + 6/24 (Japan)

Overall Summary

Pretty slow, but that's pretty much the DS for the rest of its lifespan. A few decent looking titles and maybe one big one. Puzzle Quest 2 has already given me an erection, and I'm sure the same goes for Mega Man fans with Mega Man Zero. Transformers could be a hit or miss, Dragon Ball is sure to please fans of the first game, and LEGO Harry Potter could just be more of the same. At least we get something to play.

Next month is pretty nice. Dragon Quest IX finally hits America, the next Inazuma Eleven in the series comes to Japan (...but of course we don't get one over here), and Monster Rancher DS may finally see the light of day. There's also TrackMania Turbo for TrackMania enthusiasts.

Have a nice June!

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Managed to mention hype levels for a Dragonball game without resorting to the old 'over 9000' jokes. Nice.

Megaman Zero Collection is worth my time, at least until I either replace my 3-1 or buy a SCDS2. Lego Harry Potter I'm actually looking forward to, the Lego games have been good to me so far. Never quite got in to Puzzle Quest but I'll give the new one a look. Other than that it's pretty slow, but with any luck Jam With The Band will be fixed soon, that should kill some time after I finally beat the legendary racer on Monster Racers.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If that Dragonball Origins game is even half as good as Zelda PH, I'll play it for sure
yaynds.gif

Zelda PH was just a perfect game IMHO, definitely on par with Mario Kart DS for me.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terenigma said:
HOLY SHIT I LOVE MEGAMAN!

WE ALL LOVE MEGAMAN.

Games I'm looking forward to:
Mega Man Zero Collection
Dragon Ball Origins 2
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (yea, I'm a fan of teh Lego games)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wish the Mega Man series just stuck with the traditional Mega Man and Mega Man X games.
All of these "newer" games are no where near as fun.

Buuut i'm still excited for the Mega Man Zero collection. Might as well play the hand i'm dealt, and not bitch about it.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guild McCommunist said:
I feel like I'm the only one who gives a crap about Puzzle Quest 2
dry.gif
Where's Hadrian when you need him?
I'll back you up on that. Out of the entire list, PQ2 was the only one that aroused my interest.

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool.
Looks like my June might actually be better than my March!
wtf.gif

Guild McCommunist said:
I feel like I'm the only one who gives a crap about Puzzle Quest 2
dry.gif
Where's Hadrian when you need him?
I'll also back you up on that one.

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Please for the love of god not another Puzzle Quest game, I can't let myself be absorbed in that bundle of fun again *runs away screaming*

Great, I'll have the chance playing all MM: zero games on actual hardware (and finishing them as well).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1