Hardware DS games in fullscreen mode - interpolated or not ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

As everybody knows, 3DS has a different, higher resolution than DS(i). Unfortunately, 320x240 is not a multiple of 256x192, therefore DS games cannot be pixel-perfect when played on 3DS in the (default) fullscreen mode.

My question is - do they simply resize the picture (it would look sharp but with ugly jaggies and non-uniformly resized details) or properly upscale it (it would look fine but slightly blurred, usually worse for pixel art, but better for 3D). I assumed the latter, but I've read some guy explicitly complaining about simple resizing ("nearest neighbour") instead of upscaling ("bilinear" / "bicubic").

An example (just a simulation):

RESIZED

02resize.png

UPSCALED

03upscale.png

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
maybe it's just that as you said, the first looks better for pixel art but the second image really looks rather shitty...

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Blurry is how the second image there looks.
Still, I think that's nicer than the first option, which although sharp, looks quite ugly and distorted.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
machomuu said:
TheTwoR's said:
Let's hope for some epic 3DS homebrew that'll enable upscaling!
Yeah right, and next thing you know they'll make a hack for Sudoku on the DSi- Oh wait...

They don't necessarily have to use DSiWare. And they should've expected Nintendo to pull it out of the store.
I still believe there is a way with the SD card. We just haven't found it yet.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheTwoR's said:
machomuu said:
TheTwoR's said:
Yeah right, and next thing you know they'll make a hack for Sudoku on the DSi- Oh wait...

They don't necessarily have to use DSiWare. And they should've expected Nintendo to pull it out of the store.
Oh, I wasn't implying that it wouldn't work via DSiWare/3DSWare, that was just sarcasm for sarcasm's sake. I do believe it's possible, I mean it's still a ways off, but possible. Just look at the DS phat.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
machomuu said:
TheTwoR's said:
machomuu said:
TheTwoR's said:

Oh, I wasn't implying that it wouldn't work via DSiWare/3DSWare, that was just sarcasm for sarcasm's sake. I do believe it's possible, I mean it's still a ways off, but possible. Just look at the DS phat.

Woops, sorry for the misunderstanding..
Now I see your point.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Marlonguppy said:
trigao said:
but... i think the ds games, run only in DS MODE, so.... no upscale the image... its keep the original size
Yes, that is true.
You get the original size, resulting in black borders.

Wrong, it upscales it to fit the height of the screen. You can hold start+select when the game loads to get the true 1:1 screen size.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like a GB game on GBA (if you stretch the image) it does interpolate it but you also have (again, like the GB on a GBA) the option to run it at native resolution as seen in the video above (which gives much thicker black borders)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    +1
    Gonna look into that when I get home
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep: