Hacking Ds flashcart to use on 3ds?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just not looking to play IT tech on my console
You'll be doing more of that without custom firmware than if you had it.
I want to drag and drop files on a card and just have it work
It's almost that simple to install games with custom firmware, all you have to do after dragging & dropping is open FBI (which the CFW guide has you install) and install them (like 5 button presses max).

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll be doing more of that without custom firmware than if you had it.

It's almost that simple to install games with custom firmware, all you have to do after dragging & dropping is open FBI (which the CFW guide has you install) and install them (like 5 button presses max).
Cool, well that's not what I'm going to do, but thanks. I have a card. I put roms on the card, i play the games. End of story. I asked about flashcarts, not hacking a console, which im still not going to do

Last edited by rushfan2112,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retarded would be answering questions that I haven't asked,
nope thats called informative . . . and more importantly others will read this thread looking for info on this topic, so even if you refuse to accept the undeniably better feature rich option that is cfw there is no reason to let the average lurker believe that a flashcard could hold a candle to a full fledged cfw. for instance you can only play psychically released games (no eshop only games), while cfw will not only allow eshop only games but also retail only games as well.
even though throughout the thread I had stated repeatedly and emphatically I have no interest in hacking the system
this sounds silly ... dude you use a piracy device (a flashcard is akin to an external modchip) if you truly had no interest then you would be using your 3ds for legally purchased games period

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
even if you refuse to accept the undeniably better feature rich option that is cfw there is no reason to let the average lurker believe that a flashcard could hold a candle to a full fledged cfw.
But of course it can "hold a candle". If one is only interested in running DS games, then a compatible flashcard is a superior option to CFW.

I'm not much inclined to deal with CFW either. Maybe someday in the distant future when every last bug has been squished, Nintendo has completely finished releasing system updates, and I've finished playing all the stuff I've legitimately purchased.

I went with the r4i gold plus, shold let me copy everything on my current card onto another and put it in the new flashcart
You'll probably need a different kernel from the website, but everything else should work fine.

Reactions: wormdood

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But of course it can "hold a candle". If one is only interested in running DS games, then a compatible flashcard is a superior option to CFW.
keyword only . . . cfw is superior in every other rom type gba, gbc, sega, game gear, nes, snes, noegeo, you name it . . . can a flashcard boot ps1 games? cfw can
I'm not much inclined to deal with CFW either. Maybe someday in the distant future when every last bug has been squished, Nintendo has completely finished releasing system updates, and I've finished playing all the stuff I've legitimately purchased.
thats your decision and i respect that . . . but you say "deal with" as if its hard . . . i have literally helped two 7 year olds and a legally blind man to install cfw without issue (on this site) . . . if children and disabled people can handle it then there is not much to "deal with" now is there?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think hostility towards @rushfan2112 is going to convince him to join us in coming over to the CFW dark side. If he didn't have an inkling of doing so before starting this thread, he surely does not now.

We can throw all sorts of arguments like being able to play NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, PCE/TG16, SMS, GG, GEN/MD, NDS, DSi, MAME, NGP(C), and 3DS games, or emulate Linux, Atari 800/2600/Lynx, Commodore C64, 8086 DOS, Mini vMac, ScummVM, Vectrex, NEC PC-9801. Or things like custom HOME Menu themes, hacks / mods / cheats, and English fan translated games or romhacks.

These things are of no bearing or concern to him. They do not resonant to an inner modding spirit. All he just wants is a DS flashcart that plays a select few of DS titles. Plain and simple, and that's perfectly okay!

If you guys want to convince him that all the cool kids are into doing the bootstrap-godmode-luma majiggy mabob, you gotta use positive emotional appeal. Here's my best false true in a certain point of view sales pitch: CFW is like having hookers, blow, and free cookies!!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have literally helped two 7 year olds and a legally blind man to install cfw without issue (on this site) . . . if children and disabled people can handle it then there is not much to "deal with" now is there?

Is it not difficult to ignore the dozens of posts here every day from people who manage to mess it up somehow and can't figure out what they did wrong on their own?

"Well, you just have to follow instructions! The Guide is written for a fourth-grade reading level! People ought to know how to Google for 'failed to apply 1 firm patches'!" is the obvious response. But of course no one thinks they can ever be in a jam until the day it happens. Just sayin'.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it not difficult to ignore the dozens of posts here every day from people who manage to mess it up somehow and can't figure out what they did wrong on their own?
"is it not difficult to ignore" . . . what do you mean by that are you suggesting that i should ignore them or is it that they had difficulties in the first place that you think im overlooking
"Well, you just have to follow instructions! The Guide is written for a fourth-grade reading level! People ought to know how to Google for 'failed to apply 1 firm patches'!" is the obvious response.
those responses could never be directly quoted from me . . . i literally help people step by step if and when needed . . . if those quotes were from me they would read "here is the link to the guide, take your time and read before you act, if you have any question along the way (or just dont understand a term) come back here and i will be happy to help (or explain)". the only time i tell people to google it is when they ask for piracy and even then i drop them hints.
But of course no one thinks they can ever be in a jam until the day it happens. Just sayin'.
yeah bad things can happen without one personally making a mistake but that is rare (usually a corrupt sd card . . . which the guide suggest they test for before beginning, which leads to the real problem . . . ), the most common cause of a jam during a cfw install is skipping/ignoring steps

but alas i feel like my post is missing its mark so i will wrap it up with this, yes there are less than helpful people on gbatemp & im a little bummed that you would speak as if i am one of them

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope thats called informative . . . and more importantly others will read this thread looking for info on this topic, so even if you refuse to accept the undeniably better feature rich option that is cfw there is no reason to let the average lurker believe that a flashcard could hold a candle to a full fledged cfw. for instance you can only play psychically released games (no eshop only games), while cfw will not only allow eshop only games but also retail only games as well.
this sounds silly ... dude you use a piracy device (a flashcard is akin to an external modchip) if you truly had no interest then you would be using your 3ds for legally purchased games period
you seem to have trouble understanding I have no moral or legal affinity towards pirating. I have very plainly said I am looking for answers and conversation about specific flashcarts, to which you and some others seem to have a major problem with. I will state once again: I have zero interest in modding the console, I am using flashcarts and emulators on said flashcarts. If you would like to discuss that, cool. If you want to instead claim the only viable option is to do as you chose and mod the system, take that up with someone else who cares about it.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have very plainly said I am looking for answers and conversation about specific flashcarts, to which you and some others seem to have a major problem with.
nope just being informative as i said before and will say again a flashcard cant hold a candle to cfw i am not the one who suggested your retarded for making that choice in fact let me remind you of my stance . . .
totally your choice
but you missed the point of my post it was not to change your mind . . . but for this reason
... and more importantly others will read this thread looking for info on this topic
you see i dont give a flying fuck if you decide to ignore me but i was a successful lurker for years on this site and i attribute that to informative members that came before me . . . conceded posts like your post or any from people who only consider themselves and there questions (and by extension only the answers that benefit them in a way they deem important) important, just got glossed over and at times laughed at
If you would like to discuss that, cool. If you want to instead claim the only viable option is to do as you chose and mod the system,
again i never said it "was the only" anything i simply let you know you are getting a inferior experience not to mention the better experience is free while you are paying for sub-par if i wanted to rub it in i would start there . . .
I will state once again: I have zero interest in modding the console,
i am sorry if you choose to remain ignorant thats on you
I am using flashcarts and emulators on said flashcarts. If you would like to discuss that, cool.
i was ... again you refuse to here me because my opinion is that you should replace it with something more functional
take that up with someone else who cares about it.
so conceded . . . again you were not my intended audience as i said all those facts about how much better cfw is than a flashcard . . . this is a open forum on the internet you are not the only person who will read this ...
there is no reason to let the average lurker believe that a flashcard could hold a candle to a full fledged cfw.

as a final thought i will teach you something if you click my avatar icon there is a option to "ignore" me, you should use it if you have a problem with my answers not being exactly what you wanted to hear :rolleyes:

Reactions: lone_wolf323

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope just being informative as i said before and will say again a flashcard cant hold a candle to cfw i am not the one who suggested your retarded for making that choice in fact let me remind you of my stance . . . but you missed the point of my post it was not to change your mind . . . but for this reason
you see i dont give a flying fuck if you decide to ignore me but i was a successful lurker for years on this site and i attribute that to informative members that came before me . . . conceded posts like your post or any from people who only consider themselves and there questions (and by extension only the answers that benefit them in a way they deem important) important, just got glossed over and at times laughed at
again i never said it "was the only" anything i simply let you know you are getting a inferior experience not to mention the better experience is free while you are paying for sub-par if i wanted to rub it in i would start there . . .

i am sorry if you choose to remain ignorant thats on you
i was ... again you refuse to here me because my opinion is that you should replace it with something more functional
so conceded . . . again you were not my intended audience as i said all those facts about how much better cfw is than a flashcard . . . this is a open forum on the internet you are not the only person who will read this ...

as a final thought i will teach you something if you click my avatar icon there is a option to "ignore" me, you should use it if you have a problem with my answers not being exactly what you wanted to hear :rolleyes:
Do you understand english? I don't give a fuck about CFW.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you understand english? I don't give a fuck about CFW.
and more importantly others will read this thread looking for info on this topic, so even if you refuse to accept ... there is no reason to let the average lurker believe that a flashcard could hold a candle to a full fledged cfw
bro ... we can do this all day

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you seem to have trouble understanding I have no moral or legal affinity towards pirating. I have very plainly said I am looking for answers and conversation about specific flashcarts, to which you and some others seem to have a major problem with. I will state once again: I have zero interest in modding the console, I am using flashcarts and emulators on said flashcarts. If you would like to discuss that, cool. If you want to instead claim the only viable option is to do as you chose and mod the system, take that up with someone else who cares about it.
If you're against piracy, where and how do you intend to acquire the games or roms to be used on said flashcarts and emulators?

If you did not purchase these games from actual cartridges you plan to play and ripped them straight into usable rom files, your claim is to the contrary.

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're against piracy, where and how do you intend to acquire the games or roms to be used on said flashcarts and emulators?

If you did not purchase these games from actual cartridges you plan to play and ripped them straight into usable rom files, your claim is to the contrary.
I said I have no problem with piracy. Please learn to read before responding. Holy fucking shit you people are rediculous.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said I have no problem with piracy. Please learn to read before responding. Holy fucking shit you people are rediculous.
I have no moral or legal affinity towards pirating.
perhaps you dont know what you typed . . . to have no affinity towards says you are not drawn to (or in other words in a adverse position) . . . please calm down no one is being unreasonable except you;)

perhaps you meant qualm

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, what a discussion.

Trying to “convert” someone is a bad idea and not wanting to mod a console is a valid opinion. I have some consoles I do not want do modify, too and would say there is some more tolerance and some less offense/hostility needed about this on GBAtemp. English is not my first language, so I am not sure about this: Following the dictionary, “retarded” seems quite offensive in this case (some native speaker correct me). If it has the meaning my dictionary suggests, such words are out of place here.

Someone asks about flashcarts? Then give a sensible answer to the question if you can and not only a single line reply or a link to 3ds.hacks.guide (like it’s often the case).

@rushfan2112 But it is not just you reading the answers (like wormdood already pointed out). The forum is public for everybody and indexed by the search engines. Some visitor who stumbles upon your thread and, unlike you, did not yet come to a final decision, should also see different options and arguments. Therefore information about different options is not bad, even if you did not ask for it. Single sided replies will not help, neither you, nor anybody else.
The Sky3DS(+) has a lot of limitations, is expensive and (in my opinion) harder to use than the free cfw; installing cfw is a little more work, but only has to be done once. That’s what I got from your previous thread: It only emulates retails cartridges and needs completely unmodified (encrypted) cartridge ROMs of the same region. This is very different compared to flashcarts for older systems. R4s or Everdrives can play pretty much any ROM(-hack/translation) and homebrew on the corresponding system.

If some newbie asks “Should I buy the Sky3DS(+)?”, I (and most others here) would say “No.” with pointing to the price and limitations. This is not applicable in your case, because you already have the Sky3DS cart and are absolutely sure about not using cfw after reading the arguments.

For DS-ROMs a flashcart is still the best and easiest option. TWilight Menu++ is fantastic, but still not perfect and newer games need to be patched → bad if you want a “drag and drop” experience.
I have very plainly said I am looking for answers and conversation about specific flashcarts
You already got the answer to that: The best flashcart for DS-ROMs is the R4i 3DS Gold Plus.
Please learn to read before responding. Holy fucking shit you people are rediculous.
And that's also offensive. Most people here are not ridiculous but try to help others.
I have no moral or legal affinity towards pirating.
As I understood the sentence, it means "I'm not piracy oriented." But as I already stated, I'm not a native English speaker.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny