Saphiresurf

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i was just looking at all the emulators you can run on the ds and dsi (i have a dsi) and i came across a nes emulator and went to there main website. I wasnt very impressed by the site (the emulator was pretty mainstream i just forgot what it was called) because it was just like a blank page with a few links to the downloads with descriptions. then i saw
QUOTE said:
Firmware.nds, Ds firmware in a .nds file
so i downloaded it, put it on my flash cart, and it worked! The full ds firmware. It took the settings from the dsi firmware and used it on the ds firmware that was being used.what i found really interesting is that it acted like it was running on the NAND except it emulated that on the flashcart. Another thing that amazed me was that i ran it on a ds emu on my laptop and it would crash. it literally did run off info on the NAND! Now that i think about it you could use that to your advantage to get the dsi common key through an edited ds firmware file in the form of a .nds file. The only reason this would work though is because its a ds firmware getting something from the dsi firmware thats located on the NAND. I hope someones following this because it could help speed up the dsi homebrew channel progress by a LOT!

P.S. sorry if things can be off topic. the topic was originally going to say that you can run ds firmware through a flashcart (i wasnt sure if it was really new or not) but i gradually realized how much it could do!

P.S.S. if you need more info send me an email.

UPDATE: If anyone can figure out how to change the code for favorite color or your name on the ds firmware file then you can rewrite the code and make it so it reads the firmware (or the shop channel im not sure which one holds the common key) instead of the name or favorite color from the NAND

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ya know this guy is smart!

You missed the big picture by a lot on getting the common key. You are still in ds mode which won't allow us access to dsi stuff like cameras. Even if it gets the data off the nand for that it's probably because of the pictochat implemention that it has. (I'm no expert so I could be wrong)

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
If any sort of hack, homebrew or glitch runs on any current flashcart it will only be in DS mode, and it's very very very unlikely that Nintendo, accidently put in the DSi common key into something they created before they released the DSi...

Saphiresurf

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True but i know someone will figure out how to implement dsi-mode into an edited pictochat that gets put into the ds firmware might work if you write a script for the picto chat boot up. if we figured out dsi-mode homebrew i think it might be able to happen.

P.S. I mean use the ds firmware to access the NAND flash and grab the common key. it will probaly be more compicated but theres an idea.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is actually not strange at all. The DSi has to be backwards compatible. I'd guess that means that all the default functionality that the DS and DS Lite have has to be in there in the form of some kind of flash memory. The DS saved its settings on that memory, and games should have access to that. The fact that you can modify that by running the original DS firmware doesn't surprise me at all.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
yeah, anyway that is just possibilities right? i don't think that might be the "key" because that is just a normal homebrew that looks exactly like normal DS Firmware and when you adjust the setting in there (e.g adjust the time) and when you finished adjusted the time save it and the DS will shutdown. when you look again in DSi menu the time section, the time that you adjust in that homebrew don't work.
i'm
unsure.gif
thought.
Hopefully you know what i mean
smile.gif

Saphiresurf

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azure0wind said:
Saphiresurf said:
Yea but whats weird is the ds firmware and the dsi firmware shared the same settings

errr..... i don't think so.
no what i mean is when i run the ds firmware on my flash cart it says my exact name and favorite color without setup. it seems to take the same settings from the dsi firmware.

EDIT: I just figured out that the ds firmware reads the NAND but cant write. I tested this by changing the favorite color on the ds firmware then rebooted the dsi. the favorite color didnt change. but i changed the favorite color on the dsi firmware and it changed the favorite color on the ds firmware. This is further proof that the ds firmware reads info off the dsi firmware.

tsuna

GBAtemp Official "No Good Tsuna"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG he could actually be onto something
all he need to do is make it so that the dslite firmware be able to read a homebrew within the menu or boot a flashcart menu....
ok idk why i said that...thats pointless

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
so, in my opinion this DS firmware can't be a "key"
unsure.gif

EDIT: but if someone edit this homebrew maybe, this can be a "key"
laugh.gif

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
Saphiresurf said:
azure0wind said:
Saphiresurf said:
Yea but whats weird is the ds firmware and the dsi firmware shared the same settings

errr..... i don't think so.
no what i mean is when i run the ds firmware on my flash cart it says my exact name and favorite color without setup. it seems to take the same settings from the dsi firmware.

EDIT: I just figured out that the ds firmware reads the NAND but cant write. I tested this by changing the favorite color on the ds firmware then rebooted the dsi. the favorite color didnt change. but i changed the favorite color on the dsi firmware and it changed the favorite color on the ds firmware. This is further proof that the ds firmware reads info off the dsi firmware.
I agree with azure0wind. I don't think so either. Many games rely on these features so naturally the DSi firmware would have to be built on a similar structure. For example, Animal Crossing: Wild World chooses the default colour of your roof based on your favourite colour.

Saphiresurf

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i mean when i change the favorite color on my dsi firmware it changes the color on my ds firmware that runs from my flash card.

EDIT: Or am i not understanding
blink.gif

EDIT #2: One sec im trying to find the download link for the firmware. Which by the way isn't illegal because you cant copyright a huge set of numbers which is what the ds firmware is. The download will be in my first post one sec.

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
Saphiresurf said:
Well i mean when i change the favorite color on my dsi firmware it changes the color on my ds firmware that runs from my flash card.

blink.gif

EDIT #2: One sec im trying to find the download link for the firmware. Which by the way isn't illegal because you cant copyright a huge set of numbers which is what the ds firmware is. The download will be in my first post one sec.

EDIT #3: I will have to find the download tommorow im getting to tired right now
yaynds.gif

Dude it's illegal to post copyrighted software, and having the firmware is no exception, do not post it if you do not want to be banned...

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Saphiresurf said:
im trying to find the download link for the firmware. Which by the way isn't illegal because you cant copyright a huge set of numbers which is what the ds firmware is.

Actually, in software, what you copyright is the huge set of numbers
lecture.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Saphiresurf said:

blink.gif

EDIT #3: I will have to find the download tommorow im getting to tired right now
yaynds.gif

This is due to the fact that the DSi has the DS firmware on it to use the Download Play and Pictochat with older DSes. When you change your DSi firmware colour it changes in the Pictochat/Download Play too, the favourite colour in that is what the flashcard reads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi I am really sorry for your loss +1