Hacking DS FIRE Card: Doesn't show menu only white screen

AndyX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a 2 gig DS Fire Card and can't get it to access the menu for the games list it just goes to a blank white screen.

USB Mode works fine i can access the card on my pc and copy files over etc no problem

MENU mode doesnt work i see some text up the top left quickly say loading menu then it just goes to a blank white screen

i have the xmenu.dat in the root of the card and i believe when i first use the card it should create all the files it needs for the menu system DSYSTEM folder etc. But when i check the card in usb mode it hasnt created the needed files.

Is there anywhere i can just download the menu files myself and copy them over like on a R4DS card?

or does the DS Fire have to create them?

I've tried doing a full format using the buttons on the DS and then copying over the xmenu.dat file to the card

but all i get is a blank white screen on menu mode still.
wacko.gif

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could give me some ideas to try, thank you kind people.
smile.gif

mikilol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
yeh had the same problem in the begin with the same card, i dont know how i fixed it , but i think i just fully format it wich takes a while , dont do quik format , and when you have done it,turn of your DS insert the slot2(gbaslot) and isert the writer , then he wil ask for usb mode or game mode, you pick usb cause game wont work
then i downloade the DS linker update the latest version and folowed the Readme file .
after that i putted on some games, started it up , and then i could play games on it.

the DS fire card is a good card, but requires some research to get started with it
wink.gif
my best advise is check forums or google it

here i found the method;)

Note: firmware 1.45 for both 8G and 16G DS Linker/Fire Link.
Important: This upgrade need to format the N-Card, please back your files.

Q: How to upgrade the firmware of DS Linker/Fire Link?

Note: firmware 1.45 can only work with XMENU 2.53, so we need to upgrade them together.

Q: What's new for firmware 1.45 and XMENU 2.53?
1. Download Play Support.
2. Added AUTO detect save type. (SELECT + LEFT/RIGHT change, if game can not run, please change save type.)
3. FLASH 4M save support. 1158 Zelda perfect running.
4. RESET to menu support. Set save type to AUTO will support RESET function. Hotkey: (L+R+A+B+X+Y)
5. Added wireless logo if game support downplay.
6. Added a new FORMAT MENU. Holding "START+SELECT+A"to enter.
7. Save type update to 1323
8. Changed "LOADING" picture to circle 9 points.

Q: How to quick format DS Linker/Fire Link?
1. Insert DS Linker/Fire Link Writer into slot 2 and insert DS Linker/Fire Link into slo 1.
2. Holding "L+R+A+B+DOWN" or "START+SELECT+A"to enter DS Linker/Fire Link system, will enter quick format program mode.
3. Firmware 1.45 Added a new format function. Holding "START+SELECT+A"to enter DS Linker/Fire Link system. A FORMAT MENU will appear.
1.CANCEL
2.QUICK FORMAT
3.FULL FORMAT (If full format done, will not appear)
[UP/DOWN select, press A confirm]

Q: How to FULL format DS Linker/Fire Link? (Full format need more than 1 hour, because of writting test)
1. Insert DS Linker/Fire Link Writer into slot 2 and insert DS Linker/Fire Link into slo 1.
2. Holding "L+R+Select+START+UP" or "START+SELECT+A" when enter DS Linker/Fire Link System, will enter FULL format program mode.
3. Firmware 1.45 Added a new format function. Holding "START+SELECT+A"to enter DS Linker/Fire Link system. A FORMAT MENU will appear.
1.CANCEL
2.QUICK FORMAT
3.FULL FORMAT (If full format done, will not appear)
[UP/DOWN select, press A confirm]
* Tips: I suggest DS Linker/Fire Link user make a FULL format, if there is something wrong with the DS Linker/Fire Link.(one time FULL format is enough)

Useful suggestion:
1. 98\win2000 user should "eject" the udisk safely before close the DS, because 98\win2000 background program still writting the flash after finish copy files, otherwise it maybe corrupt the fat of DS Linker/Fire Link.
2. winxp user should wait 3 seconds after finish copy files, otherwise it maybe corrupt the FAT of DS Linker/Fire Link.
3. At USB mode, if the text flashing red color, that mean writting the DS Linker/Fire Link, please do not turn off the power, otherwise it maybe corrupt the FAT of DS Linker/Fire Link.
4. If chkdsk program can not fix the FAT error, use DS Linker/Fire Link quick format can recover.
5. Do NOT format the DS Linker/Fire Link by windows, it will slow down the UDisk system. Use DS Linker/Fire Link quick format can recover.
6. Suggest use "SD Formatter V2.0" to format DS Linker/Fire Link, can be download from www.sdcard.org
7. Japanese, Trandition Chinese support. Copy Moonshell system.fon system.12u system.ank to DSYSTEM
8. I suggest DS Linker/Fire Link user make a FULL format before use it. Full format need more than 10mins, because of writting test
9. Battery test hold key change to "L+R+SELECT" when enter DS Linker/Fire Link System.

Method 1 :
1. Connect Linker to the PC and enter the exchange USB mode (like copying rom).
2. Copy ONLY the ".nds" file into the DS Linker/Fire Link. Please do NOT replace the xmenu.dat at this moment.
3. Start again the DS and enter the DS Linker/Fire Link menu.
4. Run the ".nds" file like a game from DS Linker/Fire Link Menu. Follow the instructions then start again the DS.
5. At start, holding DOWN then press L+R+A+B to format the DS Linker/Link Fire.
6. Turn off power and turn it on again, ENTER USB MODE. Now, you can copy the xmenu.dat into the DS Linker/Fire Link.
7. At last, delete the "DSYSTEM" folder.
8. Now. you can use both new firmware 1.45 and new XMENU 2.53 together.

NB: If method 1 doesn't work, then use method 2.

Method 2 :
1. Connect the Linker to PC and switch on your console.
2. Holding UP button then press L+R+B+A to enter the "upgrade mode" : message in red USB SAFE BLOCK D14 (ADDR5).
4. LAUNCH from the PC "NAND_ALL.bat" file proposed in the folder then start again the DS.
5. At start, holding DOWN then press L+R+A+B to format the DS Linker/Link Fire.
6. Turn off power and turn it on again, ENTER USB MODE. Now, you can copy the xmenu.dat into the DS Linker/Fire Link.
7. At last, delete the "DSYSTEM" folder.
8. Now. you can use both new firmware 1.45 and new XMENU 2.53 together.

here you go m8 hope it helps

Reactions: larryd

BigNick73

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have the xmenu.dat in the root of the card and i believe when i first use the card it should create all the files it needs for the menu system DSYSTEM folder etc. But when i check the card in usb mode it hasnt created the needed files.

Is there anywhere i can just download the menu files myself and copy them over like on a R4DS card?

Nope gota copy the DSYSTEM over yourself. I get mine from neoflash.com but just find the updates for a MK5 card.
MK5 8G/16G GIGA cart upgrade core V1.45 + 2.54 XMenu [01-01-2008] seems to be the latest one and has a readme with installation instructions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol