Hacking DS/DSlite durability

Gore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the DSlite REALLY that wimpy?
I planned on trading my 2 year old DSphat electric blue+Wario: Master of Disguise for a brand new DSlite.
However, if the DSlite is really so weak that a single drop most likely would break a hinge, I won't.
My old DS is fine, never had a problem, but DS lites are amazing.
I was playing Worms2 multiplayer and I looked over at my sister who has a DSlite and the picture difference is drastic.

I'd definitely get it new for the warranty.

Non biased opinions please?
wacko.gif

giardia100

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definitely get a ds lite. The brightness and picture is so much nicer. My friend has a ds phat and the brightness on it is significantly weaker compared to the ds. As far ad dropping it goes, I probably wouldn't recommend it gor any piece of electronic equipment
tongue.gif

lunatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just broke my one year old ds lite's hinge and only dropped it twice it my whole time playing and it broke from like a 2 and 1/2ft table

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The DS Lite is not that "wimpy" of a console.

I've had 4 DS Lites...and they've broken.
(2 of the times it's been my fault)
biggrin.gif

Just make sure to buy screen protectors and a case for it.

Take good care and you should be fine.

However, you don't have to take as much care of DS Phat as they are much stronger and less flimsier than the Lite.

Both are great systems to own - either are fine.

Make sure to find a DS Lite that doesn't have the new "crappier" screens (such as the Crimson & Black DS Lites).

lunatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the recently shipped DS lites have the crappy screen so it would be hard to find one without it and how can you even tell?

Gore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screen protectors of course.
I'm a perfectionist and I'd freak if my original screen was scratched. :/

And I know dropping is isn't a recommended thing to do, but it's not on purpose. :'(
And yeah, the picture is amazing.
What case do you mean?

Would Nintendo replace a DSlite with a broken hinge on warranty?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the DS Lite is just fine - I've had my Navy Blue model since the Japanese launch, and the only thing showing some wear is the touch screen. Even then, it's just normal use. (I would never use a screen protector, they muddy the picture and reduce the input sensitivity. Ick.)

Try not to throw your stuff around or drop it.
tongue.gif

Gore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This video should give you an idea of how tough the screens are. I've gotta go puke now...Â
wtf.gif
Er, my question doesn't involve the touch screen, and I've seen that video.
It's hard to watch.
frown.gif

Thanks though?

Anyways..
Last question, probably..

What kind of case is suggested and might it bother me?
With difficulties such as some buttons will be hard to press, the system won't open/close as well with it on, the touchscreen will be limited?
Or do you mean a carrying case for when I'm not playing it?
ohmy.gif

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the DS Lite is just fine - I've had my Navy Blue model since the Japanese launch, and the only thing showing some wear is the touch screen. Even then, it's just normal use. (I would never use a screen protector, they muddy the picture and reduce the input sensitivity. Ick.)

Try not to throw your stuff around or drop it.
tongue.gif

I have the same model and yes, minor wear for the most part.

Does your DS have tiny scratches all over it? I'm thinking iPod like scratches. Not real noticeable unless it's under light and at certain angles, but they are there. Considering the amount of time I've had it though, it is in great shape!

mike1984

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I play my DS Lite in bed before going to sleep at night. Sometimes i'm so tired that I basically pass out. I have dropped my DS at least 4-5 times and its still working perfectly each time. Those 4-5 times doesn't count the amount of times I roll over onto it in the middle of the night.

I dropped my GBA Advance about 100 times before it finally gave way, and ironically, the day I realized it was broken was the day I just got my DS Lite lol.

I would say most things Nintendo releases are of very durable quality.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the cracked hinges isn't due to durability. Mine cracked, and endured no stress at all. It just simply cracked over time. It was apparently due to some factories over tightening the hinge joints on the systems. I've seen it happen to 2 other lites, but only early white ones. Anyway, if it does happen, nintendo will replace it for free.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This video should give you an idea of how tough the screens are. I've gotta go puke now...Â
wtf.gif

What an asshole. I'm not a fanboy but wtf. This is why we can't have nice things, because we've got people roaming around to see if they can break things for even bigger assholes on youtube. This guy should FOAD.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wtf.gif

What an asshole. I'm not a fanboy but wtf. This is why we can't have nice things, because we've got people roaming around to see if they can break things for even bigger assholes on youtube. This guy should FOAD.

Yeah, at least there's no nub to steal like every demo PSP I've ever seen. It's no wonder why many stores don't have test units of handhelds...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr