DS Download feature doesnt work with flash?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by KillerMiller, Aug 6, 2006.

1. KillerMiller
    OP

Newcomer KillerMiller Advanced Member

Germany
    I have my G6 Lite with a Superkey now and it all works fine.
    Only the DS Download feature doesnt seem to work.
    I tried it with Starfox Commando and Bust A Move
    the software seems to get loaded to the other DS but then nothing happens.

Is this a general fact or is it with G6 only?

2. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    In almost every case, receiving DS units must be flashed in order to obtain programs through download play from a DS using a flash kit.

3. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    Is download play multiplayer with other DS' with the same game in the same room?

Or is it where you share one game among everyone else?

4. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    DS games require RSA encryption codes which your Nopass device (SuperKey or PassCard3) breaks and allows you to use your flashcart. With DS download play, also called singlecart play, it does send the files but when they begin to "boot" up they don't have legit RSA codes as they came from a DS that was using a ROM. Now if the player you were sending the files to had a flashed DS or a No pass device it would work fine as the files would be allowed to be played via the Nopass. For multicard play, local wifi, you don't have to do anything as RSA codes aren't exchanged between DSs'. Also for Wifi codes aren't need as RSA codes aren't exchanged either. So the moral is you need a flashed DS or a Nopass device in the other DS to use DS download play.

Hope you understand better now,

FifthE1ement

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Bottom line, if you want all the features to a game like GBA connectivity or download play, buy the real thing. Otherwise you're SOL. =(

6. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    With flashed DS hosting with EZ4 and unflashed DS downloading, some rom works and some doesn't. The ones I tested that worked include Tetris DS, Bomberman, Brain Age, etc.

Don't know about G6 Lite though.

7. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've had download play working to a non-flashed DS with Tetris, Bomberman, 4 Game Fun Pack (Yahtzee, Boggle, Battleships, Monopoly) and Touch Golf - more I think, but I've trying to remember which games I played against freinds with flashed vs unflashed DSs.

8. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    I wish the flashme team/people (because I really hope it's more than one person by now) would at least pretend they're working on a fix.

HOLY CRAP 300TH POST.
    [​IMG]

9. KillerMiller
    OP

Newcomer KillerMiller Advanced Member

Germany
    Ok, thanks for the Information, so I just need another Superkey for example to get Download play 100% work yes?

10. FSSimon

Member FSSimon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This had discussed over and over...
    Just disable "soft reset" when you write the rom on your flashcart.

11. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    it's not that simple fssimon. as a test, I used the new ds download station vol2.

when ran from my flashme'd ds, my factory fresh ds lite could not run any of the downloaded games (never was able to get to the list of demos available screen after finding the ds download server and connecting to it).

now, switching things around and running the ds download rom from my untouched ds lite with a passcard3 and m3 adapter, my flashme'd ds was able to successfully download and run the demos.

I believe that you have to "pair" up systems when you're running d/l stuff from a flashme'd system (ie. all systems have to be flashme'd). if you run the game from a non-flashme'd system, there doesn't seem to be any issues. anyone care to back me up or comment otherwise?

12. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    most issues will be fixed if the receiving DS is flashed...
    what do you mean by fix? it does it's job...

13. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    To help back you up, there is absolutely NOTHING to fix with FlashMe. I have heard that people cannot do some single pak (even with a real copy I've heard too) games between a flashed and non-flashed ds system but to get to the little point of this post I'll list the results of a couple situations I tested a bit ago.

Using an M3 SD, a flashed Nintendo DS and a non-flashed DS Lite. Any tests with a backup kit on the Lite was supported with a PassKey2 passthrough unit.

Single-Pak with a Real Cartridge. Worked perfect no matter which DS receives it.
    Single-Pak with M3 in the Flashed DS to Unflashed Lite. No-Go.
    Single-Pak with M3 in the Unflashed DS Lite to Flashed DS. Works.

And further in the past, here's another one.

Single-Pak with M3 in an unflashed DS to another unflashed DS. NO GO.
    -----THERE MAY BE EXCEPTIONS WITH SOME GAMES AS THERE ARE WITH MY EFA CART!-----

FlashMe has not broken any of the single pak/download play shit in any test that I've done before. Now some other flashcarts DO have games that work with Download Play and no flashed DS systems. Bomberman on the EFA is one example of this (and a damn fine multiplayer game to work might I add).

14. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    So if I have a flashed DS with Flashme V7, I'm good to go? Nothing to worry about like the original poster?

15. FSSimon

Member FSSimon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hmmm.... Interesting... [​IMG]
    As far as I'm concerned, this would be the exception to the rule.

I'm a big fan of the soft reset function. I was frustrated with the downplay play compatibility until I read on the forums about disabling it.
    When I bought my Lite, I did not sell my Red DS. I wanted to have a spare DS for multiplayer and also to run my own download play test lab. [​IMG]

I tried all possible compinations of inserting the m3 into the flashed or unflashed DS. I also tried inserting the legitimate Mario Kart cartridge in any of the the two DS. About 60% of the roms I tried worked flawlessly with soft reset on. Turning things around did not help. [​IMG]

I then flashed my lite. Results were identical.

Disabling soft reset yielded 100% compatibility for download play wheter the m3 was in the red ds or the ds lite. I now have two flashed DSs, so I'm unable to further test flash and unflashed comptibility. [​IMG]

No mather flashed or not and turning things around, I got the following results:

Works with soft reset on:
    Metroid Prime Pinball
    Brain Age
    True Swing Golf (E)
    Yoshi Touch and Go
    Mairo Kart (U)
    Top Gun (U)

Works with soft reset off:
    Metroid Prime Hunters (U)
    NSMB
    Big Brain Academy (U) and (E)
    Daigasso

I don't remember about the other ones...

One interesting side note about Metroid Prime Hunters. I tried the trainer. Download play works. And the receiving DS also gets the trainer!
    Now... This opens a world of possibilities. Maybe a flashme download station would be possible?

16. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I've used my flashed DS with supercard to send data to a unflashed DS lite. It worked with no problems.

17. jr9770

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Just to throw an odd variable into this conversation, I've come across a rom that on the G6 Lite just doesn't seem to work for me at all, no matter what I do. I can't get Big Brain Academy to run via download play. Initially I was trying to get it to work by sending the rom from a DS Lite with Passcard 3 to a stock system, and that obviously didn't work - at the time I didn't understand the necessary variables like I do now.

I then flashed one of the DS's and had the flashed unit receive the game, but for some reason it still didn't work. I posted about this a while back and it was suggested to me that I try the European version. Well I've tried both the US and European versions and neither works (both with soft reset off by the way, having it on crashes before the transfer can begin). I finally went and flashed the second DS system thinking that if the game is sent between two flashed DS's then it'd definitely work - no go... Neither the US or European is working for me between two flashed DS's. I've even redownloaded the roms a couple times thinking they were corrupt but it's made no difference in the results.

So if anyone has an explanation for that one I'd love to hear it. [​IMG] I'm thinking it's the G6 Lite....it just doesn't like this game or something.

Jeff

18. rockpin

Newcomer rockpin Member

Spain
    What about two unflashed DS with passcards?

I've tried this afternoon to download play with both DS lite + g6 lite + ninjapass media loader and had no luck.
    I thought that if both had passcards it would work.

As the passcard skips the DS menu, I boot without it and then plugged it in before try to download but no luck.

Is this possible with another kind of passcard?

19. outphase

United States
    No, given your set up, the receiving DS must be flashed

20. outphase

United States
    I'm pretty sure I suggested using Normal mode instead of DoFat mode