Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS BACKUP GOLD Official Review

dsbackupgold.jpg

This a new usb backup dongle on the market this time around unlike the other usb backup dongles the DS BACKUP GOLD by http://www.r4ids.com can also dump ds games and unlike the R4i Save Dongle can backup/restore all 3DS saves.

Features:
  • Support 3DS, NDSi and NDSL original cards.
  • Support game savers backup from 3DS、NDSi and NDSL original cards to PC.
  • Support restoring game savers backup to 3DS、NDSi and NDSL original cards.
  • Support games backup from NDS original cards to PC.
  • Adopt high-speed USB port.
  • Support mainstream operating system. such as WIN XP and WIN 7.
  • Convenient upgrade method without having to press any key, you can use the software directly to upgrade the firmware of DS BACKUP GOLD.
  • High-capacity code space is reserved to prepare the upgrade for games’ backup of 3DS cards.
* This product is limited to save the original games of which you own the copyrights. Please do not use the product for illegal purpose.

Games I have tested:

3DS Games:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.....Save Backup/Restore Work's
Rayman 3D.....Save Backup/Restore Work's
Star Fox 64 3D.....Save Backup/Restore Work's
Super Mario 3D Land.....Save Backup/Restore Work's
Mario Kart 7.....Save Backup/Restore Work's
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure.....Save Backup/Restore Work's
Steel Diver: Save Backup/Restore Work's
Pilotwings Resort.....Save Backup/Restore Work's

DS Games:

Pokemon HeartGold Version.....Save Backup/Restore Work's
Pokemon HeartGold Version.....Rom Backup Work's

Conclusion:

Works better then I expected.

cornellsabrewulf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought one of these thinking that I finally found something that would allow me to backup my saves for Pokemon HeartGold and Pokemon Black. I don't know what's up but I can't get the thing to save for those two games. It'll take Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum but won't take HG/SS or B/W. It's installed properly. You said that yours will take HeartGold. How did you get it to work?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
The SMS4 can do all of this. Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more on specifics, like how long it takes to backup the average ROM (the SMS4 can backup a 64MB ROM in 7 minutes). Maybe a few screenshots of the software.

In my experience, the NDS Backup Adapter Plus is the easiest to use, though installing drivers on Windows x64 OS's can be a pain.
The SMS4 does more than the NDS Backup Adapter, though the software is a bit tricky to figure out given that the CD includes ALL of Neoflash's software (though I uploaded a software package to simplify things a bit).

Although the plus for this is that (depending on where they are bought from) it is much cheaper. The SMS4 and NDS Backup Adapter Plus are around the $30-40 price range, while the DS Backup Gold is about $22. [Edit] Or $10 as Snailface just pointed out... I wonder what its build quality is like.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually saw this browsing an older site that i'm sure most of you have forgotten.
http://www.priceangels.com/DS-Game-Savers-Backup-s514300.html Not sure if this site is reliable anymore, But its 9.00 And it appears to be same product.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
^^^
i have one, it works fine.

i would understand of working dumps but its the quality of the dump
as some people have dumpers that do not actualy retireve all the header data and miss a certain parts
(how we tell the difference between Scene releases dumps and independant dumps)

I actually saw this browsing an older site that i'm sure most of you have forgotten.
http://www.priceange...up-s514300.html Not sure if this site is reliable anymore, But its 9.00 And it appears to be same product.

hmmm is that site trustworthy?
also a place in Europe would be more prefered

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i heard from a topic locked back in 2010 it was a clone of deal-extreme from around the time of them quitting the Flash cart selling business

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^^^

as some people have dumpers that do not actualy retireve all the header data and miss a certain parts

http://www.priceange...up-s514300.html Not sure if this site is reliable anymore, But its 9.00 And it appears to be same product.

I use priceangels.
Shipping times are not bad.. you know how it goes with those places ;). If the item is really available in stock than it usually gets processed fast.

You got nothing to worry about when paying through paypal.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
^^^

I use priceangels.
Shipping times are not bad.. you know how it goes with those places ;). If the item is really available in stock than it usually gets processed fast.

You got nothing to worry about when paying through paypal.

thanks

just need someone now with the device to test the dumps
basically dump a game and use hexcmp2 compare the dump to a scene release :D

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got mine in the mail a few days ago and it works like a charm. Though one caveat, you cannot use it with any x64 OS at the time I am writing this. Maybe a x64 driver will be introduced in the near future, but I am not keeping my hopes up.
Fortunately I have a netbook installed with W7 32bit, though, it is a deal breaker for all exclusive x64 users!

stefanis

Trophies
XP
Got mine in the mail today. Had to dig up a really old LT to connect. Hope the 64bit SW is availble sooner than later. Worked with New Super Mario. But did not work with Pokemon Conquest nor Pokemon Black. They were the two games I really wanted to backup. I was hoping to have multipal profiles going at the same time. But not even the save saver worked. Hope that gets fixed too.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine in the mail a few days ago and it works like a charm. Though one caveat, you cannot use it with any x64 OS at the time I am writing this. Maybe a x64 driver will be introduced in the near future, but I am not keeping my hopes up.
Fortunately I have a netbook installed with W7 32bit, though, it is a deal breaker for all exclusive x64 users!

Here u go

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bo2coa

Reactions: 1 person

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Here u go

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bo2coa

Thanks so much, I can use it on my Win7 x64 machine now! Though, disabling the test mode doesn't work through the application, I used this solution:

Start a CMD promt as administrator and run the following to shut down the test mode
bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING OFF
After that, reboot!
and the following to turn it on
bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON
After that, reboot!

It seems that you cannot use it out of the test mode, but that is a small annoyance as I now do not need to use my netbook.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It seems that you cannot use it out of the test mode, but that is a small annoyance as I now do not need to use my netbook.
To my knowledge they'd have to pay for a valid certificate for that to be possible. Such certificates can cost quite a bit so it's not an option for everyone.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To my knowledge they'd have to pay for a valid certificate for that to be possible. Such certificates can cost quite a bit so it's not an option for everyone.

I see, then it isn't possible it seems. I do not expect them to pay for such a license anyway, so, no biggie.
Since I have an SSD in my PC, rebooting is a 20 second wait, way faster than my Netbook ;), so, it is doable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"