Homebrew DS App Studio B0.4.5(NEW RELEASE COMING SOON)

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi All!

It has been a long time since we have updated DS App Studio, and so we are coming out with DS App Studio 0.4.5. More features have been added to the IDE, such as a start page and the language has been updated since the last time. Most of the language was updated in the logic part of the programming language. Soon, sprite systems will be added to DSAL. To give you a sneak peak at the IDE, here is a screen shot of it:

screenz.gif

Other features have been added to the programming language, such as usage of 'for' functions, which allow you to have more control over variables in your games and applications. The beta download will be available to the public as soon as it is stable and able to be used.

News About System Requirements

We are currently working on letting people run DS App Studio on Linux, but we doubt that we will be able to because of the file system that DS App Studio uses.

News About Competitions

We are going to hold a Christmas competition, which will be held 20 days from the actual Christmas holiday date. More info will be given about the new competition, so be ready to make ideas!

Other News

The final release of DS App Studio will probably not be until a while. We are currently working on 3D implementation in DS App Studio, and it is very hard to insert that into DSAL, but we will be able to do it. Also, sprite systems will be available once we get the complications dealt with, such as user-friendly sprite systems. For more information on the sprite systems, just contact us at [email protected].

Thank You!

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So this is a tool to assist programmers?
mellow.gif

Why can't we just code the game normally using the professional software we have (Microsoft Visual Studio 2008-2010 Express, which is free, for example) instead of using small programs that can do some things our good software can?
unsure.gif

Sorry, I just don't see the consumer's point in this.

Kwigg

Trophies
Website
Don't have one
XP
Country
Knyaz Vladimir said:
So this is a tool to assist programmers?
mellow.gif

Why can't we just code the game normally using the professional software we have (Microsoft Visual Studio 2008-2010 Express, which is free, for example) instead of using small programs that can do some things our good software can?
unsure.gif

Sorry, I just don't see the consumer's point in this.
Easier language.
Aparrently

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, DSAL is the language that we are developing that will allow beginners to have a better chance at developing Nintendo DS homebrew. For instance, here is the comparison of the the two:

C++(devkitPro)
CODE#include
#include
#include "soundbank.h"
#include "soundbank_bin.h"
#include
ÂÂtouchPosition Stylus;ÂÂ
ÂÂPrintConsole topScreen;
ÂÂPrintConsole bottomScreen;ÂÂ
#include "ad.h"
int main(void)
{ÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂconsoleDemoInit();
ÂÂÂÂswiWaitForVBlank();
ÂÂÂÂmmInitDefaultMem((mm_addr)soundbank_bin);
ÂÂÂÂvideoSetMode(MODE_5_2D);
ÂÂÂÂvramSetBankA(VRAM_A_MAIN_BG_0x06000000);
ÂÂÂÂconsoleInit(&topScreen, 3,BgType_Text4bpp, BgSize_T_256x256, 31, 0, true, true);
ÂÂÂÂconsoleInit(&bottomScreen, 3,BgType_Text4bpp, BgSize_T_256x256, 31, 0, false, true);
ÂÂÂÂconsoleSelect(&bottomScreen);
ÂÂÂÂiprintf("Hello, World!");
ÂÂÂÂwhile(1)
ÂÂÂÂ{
ÂÂÂÂ}
}

DSAL
Code:
start2D(256, 256);
say("Hello, World!");
wait();
endif();

Also, without using this software, you would have to manually put the resource files in the right file folder, while in DS App Studio, it only takes a few clicks to add the resources.

So, it would help the programmer program there home brew AND be able to insert resources without having to manually add resources to there projects.

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
RoyalCardMan said:
Yes, DSAL is the language that we are developing that will allow beginners to have a better chance at developing Nintendo DS homebrew. For instance, here is the comparison of the the two:

C++(devkitPro)
CODE#include
#include
#include "soundbank.h"
#include "soundbank_bin.h"
#include
ÂÂtouchPosition Stylus;ÂÂ
ÂÂPrintConsole topScreen;
ÂÂPrintConsole bottomScreen;ÂÂ
#include "ad.h"
int main(void)
{ÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂconsoleDemoInit();
ÂÂÂÂswiWaitForVBlank();
ÂÂÂÂmmInitDefaultMem((mm_addr)soundbank_bin);
ÂÂÂÂvideoSetMode(MODE_5_2D);
ÂÂÂÂvramSetBankA(VRAM_A_MAIN_BG_0x06000000);
ÂÂÂÂconsoleInit(&topScreen, 3,BgType_Text4bpp, BgSize_T_256x256, 31, 0, true, true);
ÂÂÂÂconsoleInit(&bottomScreen, 3,BgType_Text4bpp, BgSize_T_256x256, 31, 0, false, true);
ÂÂÂÂconsoleSelect(&bottomScreen);
ÂÂÂÂiprintf("Hello, World!");
ÂÂÂÂwhile(1)
ÂÂÂÂ{
ÂÂÂÂ}
}

DSAL
Code:
start2D(256, 256);
say("Hello, World!");
wait();
endif();

Also, without using this software, you would have to manually put the resource files in the right file folder, while in DS App Studio, it only takes a few clicks to add the resources.

So, it would help the programmer program there home brew AND be able to insert resources without having to manually add resources to there projects.

Well, even if you don't know C++, you'd notice that this is the better choice. I'm following this, it seems quite useful.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It seems to me that it's pretty debatable on which language would be better to learn.

It's like comparing C++ and Python, clearly Python takes less typing to accomplish small tasks, so I find it's a much easier language to begin with. That, however, doesn't mean it's a better language overall, just because you can write the same thing in less lines.

So I don't mean to bash your language, as to me, it's pretty impressive to make a language of your own (even if it is just interpreting), just it's difficult to compare the two languages like the way that you did.

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
RoyalCardMan said:
I'm more comparing the two on how long the code is.

Both languages could probably do the same thing, it is just that one is easier to learn.

That is my goal; to make programming homebrew fun and easy.

I'm sorry... fun and easy? Mr. 3D would like to speak to you.

Man, I could barely write that SDAT Extractor, I doubt I'll learn 3D in C++ within the next couple of years. It's hard to make it simple, no matter how you look at it. It's a difficult challenge.

Python is great, though.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
I have just made great features for the DSAL programming language.

I was able to implement a randomlydo function that allows people to do events when the test variable equals the maximum test numbrer, which you insert into the argument:

Code:
randomlydo(1000000);
ÂÂsay("This is random! :P");
endif();

It can be used for showing random images, playing random sounds, or saying random things.

Edit: I also have added another function called oncedo which is the alternative of the randomlydo function. The oncedo function allows functions inside this logic to happen only once inside a loop event. It helps people during the loop process to do things only once.

Code:
oncedo();
ÂÂsay("THIS IS ONLY ONCE!");
endif();

That is the basic part of the function.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb