ROM Hack DS - any way to install simplified Chinese character support?

spiff101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all. I'm interested in using my DS lite for learning Chinese characters (simplified, not traditional). I'd like to use a flashcard program called anki, which runs on a DS via some code written by Olivier Binda (simply called anki.ds). However, his code was written with learning japanese in mind, and using the default font means many chinese characters aren't displayed properly. Replacing it with TrueType fonts that do cover chinese (eg simhei, lisong) simply results in a white screen.

Can anyone cast some light on this, eg: do DSs need something over and above a font file to display Chinese? Or is there a font file out there that might be compatible?

Maybe owners of the iQue could shed some light...

(I have asked Olivier, but as his interest isn't in Chinese, I doubt he'll know what the problem is.) Suggestions appreciated.

marumekomu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no experience with this personally, but:

QUOTE said:
The Nintendo DS is region free in the sense that any console will run a Nintendo DS game purchased anywhere in the world; however, the Chinese version games can only be played on the Chinese iQue DS, whose larger firmware chip contains the required Chinese character glyph images. Although the Nintendo DS of other regions cannot play the Chinese games, the iQue DS can play games of other regions. Also, as with Game Boy games, some games that require both players to have a [Nintendo DS game card] for multiplayer play will not necessarily work together if the games are from different regions (e.g. a Japanese Nintendo DS game may not work with a North American Nintendo DS game, even though some titles, such as Mario Kart DS and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl versions are mutually compatible). With the addition of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, certain games can be played over the Internet with users of a different region game.

[Source: Wikipedia]

wiiwaker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
The J/E/U NDS could display Chinese character correctly, and there are many Chinese homebrew apps working on non-iQue DS. Maybe yon can try these apps but I don't know whether they have external font files. If there are, try replacing the font file for anki IMO.

spiff101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wiiwaker said:
The J/E/U NDS could display Chinese character correctly, and there are many Chinese homebrew apps working on non-iQue DS. Maybe yon can try these apps but I don't know whether they have external font files. If there are, try replacing the font file for anki IMO.
That's an idea. Any pointers as to where I could find these Chinese homebrew apps?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu