DS #5674: Spider-Man: Edge of Time (USA)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking forward to this.

Mainly:
1. Its not by Griptonite, they started off really well and then they just did the same thing over and over again with nearly EVERY title they did. They just stopped making games interesting and I'm tired of these generic Metroidvania titles, add some damn thought to it if you're going that way!

2. Its by Other Ocean Interactive, they did the excellent Dark Void Zero and the forthcoming "holy shit it plays like Another World and Flashback and looks great" War of the Worlds. They're aiming for a more retro Spidey experience and they have shown that they can do that well.

spider_man_edge_of_time_ds-2.jpg
spider_man_edge_of_time_ds-3.jpg
spider_man_edge_of_time_ds-9.jpg

spider_man_edge_of_time_ds-4.jpg
spider_man_edge_of_time_ds-8.jpg

Not the best screens, DS games always look better on a actual DS and in motion. Kinda reminds me of those fine GBC/GBA Spidey titles.

I predict one of those overlooked gems just like Griptonites own Spyro was on the GBA during its dying days. Can't be worse than the home console version.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After playing for a while I can say I don't like this game. The graphics seem downgraded from other games, the way to open pathways are sometimes hidden to well, you can skip the enemies since there is little point to fight them, the combat isn't fluid, the first three bosses Rhino, Overdrive and Menace were to easy, the map screws up with 2099 or maybe that was just me glitching it and the web length is kind of shorter which can be a good thing to some people but for me I hated it.

The upgrades are blue dots on the map but since of having to look for methods to shutdown force fields and open doors like the first one with 5 blue to red switches you still have to search the map which isn't a bad thing to some people. I suppose switching to 2099 and present Spiderman is easy since all you have to do is press select but there is no way to view the entire map or I don't know how to and so many other problems like using webbing to hold enemies does little good since they break out so quickly. I suppose you might get upgrades later but right now at the start the game just seems bad.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Looking forward to this.

Mainly:
1. Its not by Griptonite, they started off really well and then they just did the same thing over and over again with nearly EVERY title they did. They just stopped making games interesting and I'm tired of these generic Metroidvania titles, add some damn thought to it if you're going that way!

You pretty much summed up my feelings. I was ga-ga over Web of Shadows...then they drove that formula into the ground, only without nearly the same effort. I look forward to seeing what someone else does with a DS Spidey.

arsene_lupin_260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
You pretty much summed up my feelings. I was ga-ga over Web of Shadows...then they drove that formula into the ground, only without nearly the same effort. I look forward to seeing what someone else does with a DS Spidey.
Well, from what I've seen so far, it's plain bad. Terribad.
Heck, since the pathway to your true objective was so hidden that I actually did sequence-breaking... Also, you're absolutely clueless about how to find pathways & "time-changing" objects. For example: There's this big robot sending out shockwaves at 2099 Spidey, so Amazing Spidey has to break the prototype. Simple right? No. The parts of the prototype are scattered out around "that corner" of the map (ok fine). But they looked like junk parts, they're extremely small compared to that humongous mech over there (ok, fine), and there's no indication that you have to bash them to proceed. And there's the part which I sequence-broke, you have to find a battery in the future timeline, but you're blocked by a force field. Lounging around for an hour straight in the modern time did not yield me anything, so I proceed to the present timeline myself. And voila, now you have to "defend Mary Jane". (The same as Black Cat mission) After that, now the mission objective is now "find the transmitter".
Seriously?
... And yes. WoS was superior, but SD was no slouch either. Iron Man 2 was quite nice too. The only game I loathed is Ben 10 Cosmic.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not as good as shattered dimensions imho.
SD was a pretty good game. This one seems to fall short.
I might sound a bit critical, but I gave it around 45 mins, then straight to the trash.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is awful compared to Shattered Dimensions. Instead of the fluid 3D models for the characters, they used sprites. A noble idea, but the sprites look TERRIBLE. The animation is choppy, hit detection is abysmal (stand behind a guy swinging the opposite direction and, as long as you're touching his sprite, he hits you and knocks your in front of him), and there's terrible slowdown (on my EZFlash-Vi anyway). The only things on screen were me, two enemies, and it was a wide open simple room. The fighting had FRAMESKIP. Really? Web swinging was derped, as you had to be able to SEE the ceiling to attach to it. By then you could just jump to it to wall crawl. Just terrible.

The voice acting was decent, though there doesn't seem to be any in the cutscenes (unless that's an AP, because it didn't have voices in a PC emulator either).

Played the Wii one a bit too. Thought it was okay, even though the controls are a bit strange. Still, much better than this iteration.

I was all gung-ho to get into the story for this one too. I LOVED Shattered Dimensions, on both the PS3 and the DS. Thought it was the perfect rebirth of a Spider-Man game. Edge of Time seems like it will be best on the higher end consoles, but this handheld edition isn't worth the trouble. The sticker art on the cartridge is worth more than this game.

guyveroz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone else experience falling through the wall at the start? I started the mission find Sloan then I fell through the wall into a locked room... stuck in the first minute
hate2.gif

using R4 wood

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah well, that sucks. In defense of of WoS and SD, the guy who created the animations for those games never worked on the other Gripto DS games that recycled those assets. I remember talking to the guy a while back, and he specifically mentioned that he worked only on those two games. Of course, the property itself, I suppose, belongs to Griptonite, which means they plastered it everywhere else they developed DS games.

Sorry to hear this game fared so poorly. I won't even bother...

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
Sorry to hear this game fared so poorly. I won't even bother...

You should really try it out for yourself, rather than listen to the opinions of strangers on an internet forum. Who knows, you may end up liking it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not good sadly, certainly not up the the devs previous work. Can't say I want to play any of the DS Spidey games, even the Gripto ones bore me senselessly.

Nevermind someone will make something decent one day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt