stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
OMG...when I first saw "Crystal Mines" I thought..

is this a DS Port to the Apogee Classic game "Crystal Caves?!"
biggrin.gif

I wish...
frown.gif

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
DigitalDeviant said:
mans there's a shitload of shovelware coming out for the DS around new years....

Yeah. And a shitload of useless comments as well. Live with it.

Torus is bringing the Crystal Mines IP back for a brand new DS game. The series initially started off as an unlicenced NES title. It did well enough for a sequel to be made for the Lynx - dooming it to obscurity. Crystal Mines is heavily influenced by Boulder Dash (which has also seen a rebirth on DS), but its unique additions made it a much deeper experience.

crystalmines_01.jpg
crystalmines_02.jpg

crystalmines_03.jpg
crystalmines_04.jpg

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/20401/

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Judging by those screenshots and the fact that this involved virtually no original thought at all, I'd say this took them about a fortnight to put together.

Spikeynator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Etalon said:
DigitalDeviant said:
mans there's a shitload of shovelware coming out for the DS around new years....

Yeah. And a shitload of useless comments as well. Live with it.

Torus is bringing the Crystal Mines IP back for a brand new DS game. The series initially started off as an unlicenced NES title. It did well enough for a sequel to be made for the Lynx - dooming it to obscurity. Crystal Mines is heavily influenced by Boulder Dash (which has also seen a rebirth on DS), but its unique additions made it a much deeper experience.

crystalmines_01.jpg
crystalmines_02.jpg

crystalmines_03.jpg
crystalmines_04.jpg

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/20401/

wow that rly look sooooo.... crap >_>

Keeper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I actually played this game to death on my old Lynx II.

I preferred it to Balder Dash, had a lot more variables in it, and a tonne of levels too, might have to check this out to see if it still holds up.

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never played the original as I never had a NES. IIRC I was rocking the Speccy/Atari800 at the time. I have to say this is a pleasant surprise. I played the hell outa Boulderdash and this is interesting spin on the gameplay. Early levels don't really grab you but by the 7th starts getting tricky. Definitely worth a look if you are an old fart and enjoyed rockford's past adventures. I prefer the retro gfx/sound settings as you can see more of the playfield.

Edit: Looks like there's bags of content. The level select screens goes up to 264. Dunno whether that's on par with the original.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it can't be worse than 999.

Gonna take dudereno's word and give it a go.

modecise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
dudereno said:
Never played the original as I never had a NES. IIRC I was rocking the Speccy/Atari800 at the time. I have to say this is a pleasant surprise. I played the hell outa Boulderdash and this is interesting spin on the gameplay. Early levels don't really grab you but by the 7th starts getting tricky. Definitely worth a look if you are an old fart and enjoyed rockford's past adventures. I prefer the retro gfx/sound settings as you can see more of the playfield.

Edit: Looks like there's bags of content. The level select screens goes up to 264. Dunno whether that's on par with the original.

The levels are from the original LYNX version of "Crystal Mines II" (181 Levels) and the levels in the "Buried Treasures" expansion pack (about 130 Levels), making the total level number of 311.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: Hi Hi