DS #5174: Final Fantasy - The Four Heroes of Light (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by luke_c, Oct 7, 2010.

1. PeregrinFig

PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    Michigan
    Yeah, I should've done that, but I was tired last night and wanted to check this out before bed. I only fought like two battles before the Minotaur. I still hate the art style and music regardless, though.

And actually, one of the things I liked about the original FF (which I've played through several times) is that you barely need to chat with NPCs, you can actually find out where to go by simply wandering and exploring.

2. Daath

Daath Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2010
    Canada
    Not that bad, but after a couple of hours I have to say that the storyline is.......too simple? I mean.....the heroes come home to find that disaster has stricken their hometown, and nobody seems to care that much. Even the two who leave on a quest to find a cure don't seem to be particularly motivated about it.

It's like they've written the big lines of a cliché rpg storyline, and kept it at that level.

3. Malgamus

Malgamus Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2008
    United States
    So far I like the game. Sure the story is fairly cliche but I kinda like it. Aire is so spoiled and I find that amusing. I haven't had to grind too much yet though I need to do some before taking on the 3rd boss again.

4. RoMee

RoMee ??

Sep 3, 2010
    United States
    ??
    my only complaint is I can target anyone, other than that it's okay, not the best spinoff, but better than some DS RPG out there

5. Goli

Goli RPG

Jul 16, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    It's done like that on purpose [​IMG].

6. Daath

Daath Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2010
    Canada
    Maybe the mistake was letting the characters talk. It feels like they should be a little more reactive to what happens around them.

7. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. Malgamus

Malgamus Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2008
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. Pablo3DS

Pablo3DS GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2010
    Brazil
    Thanks for the news!

10. GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy Professional loafer

Former Staff
    Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    Well, I've kinda had an about face of sorts with this game. I was really, really looking forward to it, especially after coming off of DQIX, but it was sketchy there for the first bit. However, I think everything's starting to click now. Seems Boost doesn't just regenerate AP, it also functions as blocking, which is very cool. And yeah, you do, indeed, get the ability to run away from battle fairly early into the game.

I'm digging it. Still not a huge fan of not being able to choose which monster I want party members to attack, but it's doable. I really like the simplicity of the AP system, though. For all intents and purposes, you could easily go without most replenishing items because of the way the system works, which is what I really liked about DQIX late into the game (with Hpathy and Mpathy).

Best of all, it has the FF presentation I want. I'm not big into the whole teen-angst thing. I just want a simple, lighthearted story with fun gameplay. This seems to be more of what I'm looking for in an RPG.

11. queven10

queven10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2009
    Canada
    When the room is dark and quiet, that tune can be the most scaring thing in your life!

12. queven10

queven10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2009
    Canada
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LIKAAA SOMEBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEE

13. ayaka_fan

ayaka_fan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2010
    Mexico
    Final_Fantasy_The_Four_Heroes_of_Light_USA_CLEAN_NDS-NukeThis

14. ravant

ravant Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I really don't understand why the Archive size is 512 mb and somehow the rom is randomly only 42mb in size. This doesn't make any sense. Even trimmed and cracked games are usually a little under their marks 64/128/264/512 etc, for example a 128mb rom gets trimmed to say 118mb.

Edit: Is it because the graphics look like someone threw up all over my DS? :/

15. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137

the english dub gets fucked up in almost every game..

FF 4 DS was an exception.

16. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada

Megabit =/= Megabyte.

You're thinking of Megabytes.

I don't understand the math behind this, but every release notes posted are in Megabit's. Which isn't the same as megabit.

All I know is Megabit is a higher number than Megabytes.

17. BionicC

BionicC GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2006
    Megabits / 8 = megabytes

So in this case, 512Mb / 8 = 64MB. Once the ROM is stripped further, you end up with the ROM's filesize of 42MB.

(Note that megabits is abbreviated as Mb, and megabytes is MB -- that's important to avoid confusion!)

18. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Understood. But what's not understood, is why they use Mb in the description and stuff, and not MB... is there a reason behind that?

19. deathking

deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    i love the fact you choose weapons and money or horde gems for skills
    nice twist
    but i need new jobs wayfarer sucks

20. CCNaru

CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

Jul 9, 2005
    United States
    USA USA USA USA USA USA USA US
    I'm sorry but man, the title art looks really terrible.