DS #4646: Dragon Quest VI - Maboroshi no Daichi (Japan)

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SargeSmash said:
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
Not really interested in this. I mean, the story and the gameplay are good, but why no 3D? That's what the DS is made for after all. DQ9 was beautiful! To me, 3D RPGs on the DS are more attractive than 2D ones. I'm not saying they're better, but I like some eye candy every once in a while.

The 2D looks good, though.
Uhh, the engine is in 3D, anyway. Also, if you haven't noticed, most of the characters in DQIX are rendered as sprites. It's just the main characters (from the short amount of time that I played) that were rendered in 3D.

I know the engine's in 3D, but it's just that 2D sprites in a 3D environment are an instant turnoff to me.

And I know it was only the main characters in DQ9 that were in 3D, but still, something's better than nothing, right?

QUOTE(Genowing @ Jan 27 2010, 08:08 PM)
Lol the guy on the cover has Sonic-like hair
Don't you mean DBZ hair?
rofl2.gif

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
I know the engine's in 3D, but it's just that 2D sprites in a 3D environment are an instant turnoff to me.

And I know it was only the main characters in DQ9 that were in 3D, but still, something's better than nothing, right?
I don't really like the hybrid, either. That's why I prefer, at least on the DS, to do one or the other. Full 3D, or full 2D. I just happen to think the DS is more suited to the latter. The issues with sprite scaling and rotation are very, very annoying. The only way to really deal with that effectively is to do something like Star Ocean 2 did, where you make the sprite pretty high-resolution, and scale it down. Scaling up is a bad idea, unless filtered (which Star Ocean 2 also does a bit of), but certainly not the best option.

Heck, in retrospect, it'd probably be more efficient to go back to pre-rendered backgrounds, and save all your polys for the character models. Ninja Gaiden: DS does this, and looks much better for it. And we all know the PSX Final Fantasy games did so as well.

And yeah, from what I saw, DQIX is quite impressive for the DS.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
silleeel said:
Theres AP!
frown.gif

You wake up in a forest with your 2 friends then head off to a castle ontop of a dragon! Get all the way through the castle to a bad guy (i assume) and he shoots all 3 of you off into the air! Then you wake up in the forest again back were you started and it repeats over and over again! Cant continue the game!
It's been a long time since I played DQ6 on the SNES, but my recollection is that is actually supposed to happen.

I do recall that the plot has this odd repetition to it, basically, which only makes sense later in the game.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ruri said:
silleeel said:
Theres AP!
frown.gif

You wake up in a forest with your 2 friends then head off to a castle ontop of a dragon! Get all the way through the castle to a bad guy (i assume) and he shoots all 3 of you off into the air! Then you wake up in the forest again back were you started and it repeats over and over again! Cant continue the game!
It's been a long time since I played DQ6 on the SNES, but my recollection is that is actually supposed to happen.

I do recall that the plot has this odd repetition to it, basically, which only makes sense later in the game.
That isn't what is supposed to happen, what he said is confirmed to be piracy protection. When you get shot off inside that castle, you are supposed to end up waking up in a bed on a clifftop village. The piracy protected causes the game to loop the intro at the forest and castle over and over again.

I'm not sure how well that patch, i've not experienced the AP yet. I was playing on an emulator that isn't affected by it.

And I personally LOVE the graphics in this myself. The hybrid looks great, and 98% of the time, the sprites do not look scaled up or down, due to the same view angle being used most of the time. The sprites themselves have smoother and more angles of animation now. And they are in the same vein as the old game, so it looks good.

Sanderino

I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks really great, really charming graphics, I love how the 3d towns mix with the 2d characters. I'm begging this will be released to the USA or even to Europe.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has already been confirmed for America at least. There was a teaser website for US advertising the "Zenithia trilogy", which this game is part of. Had logos and even the subtitle for the US versions (VI is Realm of Reverie IIRC). Plus, i believe it has been on ESRB's list for quite a while.

ZeroDivide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using G6 and the child's play patch and when I save and reload the game just freezes while the music keeps playing, does anyone know of any solution for this?

thanks in advance

TKWizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Currently using the patched rom w/ CycloDS Evolution on the latest firmware without a problem.

Already picked up Amos and about to Tackle Arcbolt.

--after doing massive class grinding (love doing that [it will be even quicker once I have Whistle]) --

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
DQ6.jpg

DQ62.jpg

can someone explain to me what is happening?

how come i have 2 heroes on the first pic
frown.gif

*it is before the event after hero return from the 2nd world*

i read from somewhere... i am not suppose to have hassan and the girl at this early stage
someone help

*no cheats*

clean rom on akaio 1.5.1
HELP
frown.gif

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SignZ said:
dsrules said:
so the patch or hex edit that's out doesn't work on any flashcart?

000E3CD2 0C ? 36
000E3E31 10 ? 11
Well on AK2 with AKAIO 1.6b it doesn't :/
Strangely I heard from a friend that the clean ROM works on his R4... Wtf? oO

Odd I used that patch.exe that was posted previously and I got past the AP point where you loop back to the forest. Not sure if the above hex edit is what that patch.exe does however.

Running AK2 AKAIO 1.5.1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: