DS #4343: Grand Theft Auto - Chinatown Wars (Japan)

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
Japans is probably better,that would be annoying,I doubt it though because Rockstar is American.

In what ways would it be better? Like since the wording will be in Japanese? Yeah probably.

But this took really long to get released there.
ohmy.gif

xshinox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the game is rated Z for maximum violence, sex, drugs, etc. LOL

i wouldnt say the game is better in japanese version.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
Thats why I'm saying it may be better,more violence. Yeah,im a violence whore.
I highly doubt it's more violent than the US version. In fact, if anything, some of the violence would more likely be censored in Japan. It gets a more "adult" rating by Japanese cultural/societal standards because the amount of violence in Japan pales in comparison to what happens everyday in Western countries. You can't even buy a gun in Japan. The police officers in Japan don't even carry guns. Hell, Japan doesn't even have its own army. When I lived there, some teenager with a paintball gun was shooting paintballs at cars on the highway, and that made national headlines and the Japanese laws regarding importation of paintball guns was changed because of that one incident. I laughed my ass off when I was watching a Japanese show on police chases, and the show was about some lady who crossed a red light.

So a game like this wouldn't be considered so violent to us Westerners, but in a relatively peaceful country like Japan where they make a big deal about crossing red lights, it would be a "very mature" game.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC violence isn't as accepted there as it is here, while nudity is more accepted there than it is here so it's understandable that the game is rated Z.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
violence levels aside, it's certainly possible that extra content was added in the intervening period between releases - that does happen sometimes, in all regions. Rarely, though.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
omgpwn666 said:
Thats why I'm saying it may be better,more violence. Yeah,im a violence whore.
I highly doubt it's more violent than the US version. In fact, if anything, some of the violence would more likely be censored in Japan. It gets a more "adult" rating by Japanese cultural/societal standards because the amount of violence in Japan pales in comparison to what happens everyday in Western countries. You can't even buy a gun in Japan. The police officers in Japan don't even carry guns. Hell, Japan doesn't even have its own army. When I lived there, some teenager with a paintball gun was shooting paintballs at cars on the highway, and that made national headlines and the Japanese laws regarding importation of paintball guns was changed because of that one incident. I laughed my ass off when I was watching a Japanese show on police chases, and the show was about some lady who crossed a red light.

So a game like this wouldn't be considered so violent to us Westerners, but in a relatively peaceful country like Japan where they make a big deal about crossing red lights, it would be a "very mature" game.

A main army in Japan is non-existent but there is a very small militia and guess what, they are the only ones able to carry guns. Also, they have a crime category in the CERO ratings which is taken much more seriously than the use of drugs and alcohol in the ESRB since all forms of crime is an extreme taboo in Japan even parking in a no parking zone. Even a stabbing in Japan can make headlines, it isn't just gun crime.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
A main army in Japan is non-existent but there is a very small militia and guess what, they are the only ones able to carry guns. Also, they have a crime category in the CERO ratings which is taken much more seriously than the use of drugs and alcohol in the ESRB since all forms of crime is an extreme taboo in Japan even parking in a no parking zone. Even a stabbing in Japan can make headlines, it isn't just gun crime.
Well, as I said in my previous post, even a minor paintball gun prank made national headlines and was treated much more seriously than it would be in the US. Certainly a stabbing would be all over the news in Japan. And yes I knew about the Jieitai, but they're still not a full-fledged armed force.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I let my Japanese friends play this game when it first came out, and most of them were very surprised with the violence. Most of them thought it was too much and they didn't really enjoy it. Although some of the guys also thought it was pretty entertaining
tongue.gif

Personally I think us westerners are all just very desensitized to this stuff.

Popin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I remember when the US release came out, I played it for a few hours and haven't touched it since....which is weird, since I was excited when it came out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended