DS #4157: Dirt 2 (USA)

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesomeness. I'm still trying to acquire the Wii version, but sadly, it isn't going well.

This game looks really unique in a way. Can't wait to try the DS version out.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...this and that Mini Ninja game look like the first DS games I'll bother with in a long time. But the jury is still out on Mini Ninja......

I haven't seen this yet, but the graphics look really great for a DS game. As long as the controls aren't messed up, it should be one of the better racing games for DS.

dragonbladerxx1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zerrix said:
cool at least I can play this and Mini Ninjas untill HGSS are released^^
don't get ur hopes up abot hgss because it might not be released this month but enjpy
biggrin.gif
(felt like saying that)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its from the people who developed DS versions Trackmania & Race Driver. At least the game will have had some effort involved.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Control is very tight for me, probably the best racing controls on the DS. Only downside I have with this game so far is that its far too easy even on harder settings. Sound is awful and as much as I like "Steve McQueen" by The Automatic, it doesn't really suit a racing game. Ditto on a few other songs on here. Graphics are the better than usual for a DS racer, if you are ok with 3D on the DS then it wont bother you.

Not tried tried the track editor yet.

The only racing games worth keeping on my flashcart are Asphalt GT 2, Speed Racer & Mario Kart. Others haven't been much fun for me and Diddy Kong Racing is so much better on N64. This seems like a keeper so far, though Mario Kart DS is more fun of course and more of a challenge.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hadrian said:
Control is very tight for me, probably the best racing controls on the DS. Only downside I have with this game so far is that its far too easy even on harder settings. Sound is awful though and hearing the same three songs over and over gets tiring. Graphics are the better than usual for a DS racer, if you are ok with 3D on the DS then it wont bother you.

The only racing games worth keeping on my flashcart are Asphalt GT 2, Speed Racer & Mario Kart. Others haven't been much fun for me and Diddy Kong Racing is so much better on N64. This seems like a keeper so far, though Mario Kart DS is more fun of course and more of a challenge.

You didn't like TrackMania? That game should be on your list too IMHO....

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Hadrian said:
Control is very tight for me, probably the best racing controls on the DS. Only downside I have with this game so far is that its far too easy even on harder settings. Sound is awful though and hearing the same three songs over and over gets tiring. Graphics are the better than usual for a DS racer, if you are ok with 3D on the DS then it wont bother you.

It was ok and it played well enough but the draw distance was bad, I'd rather play the PC version.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hadrian said:
Satangel said:
Hadrian said:

It was ok and it played well enough but the draw distance was bad, I'd rather play the PC version.

I would rather play the PC version of Dirt 2 too then. Just for the graphics alone actually, I want racing games to look beautiful, at least as good as GRID looked.
But you're right, TrackMania had some good points, but there were some very bad points too.
Hopefully it's fixed in the sequel!

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drian117 said:
Does anyone find it weird that the first car they show you, is named, "Brian Ickler Buggy", and on the back it has the numbers, "117".

blink.gif
Not really, you're Drian now.

yaypsp.gif

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Drian117 said:
Does anyone find it weird that the first car they show you, is named, "Brian Ickler Buggy", and on the back it has the numbers, "117".

blink.gif
Not really, you're Drian now.

yaypsp.gif

Yeah but still, I had Brian117 before this. So therefore............it counts.
mad.gif

But as for gameplay, it is actually very nice. The drifting and turns are very smooth. The music soundtrack is very meh...not a fan. It sounds more like Tony Hawk music than racing music. Which doesn't fit very well.

The cars are nicely detailed. Clear graphics. Although the sound of the engine is always the same. Even when you stop and then go again, it just stays the same sound. Would be nice to have it stutter or something when you accelerate.

I haven't tried the track editor, but I'm guessing it won't let me down after seeing the gameplay for the Career.

I give this a 7/10.
smile.gif

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
Graphics are good, a few glitches but can't really expect the moon on a stick, this is the DS after all. The actual gameplay and controls seem to be very good. The only downside is the audio, the engine sounds are bad (though imagine they will improve with better vehicles) and the music is rubbish. Would have preferred some generic tunes music wise.

This is a possible purchase for me, will probably pick it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb