muerte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
xtreme_power said:
Josef_Fritzl_280_477364a.jpg

QUOTE(UltraMagnus @ Aug 4 2009, 06:26 PM) what, chess with Germans??
The sick bastard on the picture is not german!
The original Fritz (not the Fritz from the game
wink.gif
) is this

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joseph Fritzl Chess: You don't want to know what happens after you're checkmated.

Anyway, it pisses me off when companies take one game from a large game collection and try to market it. Half these crappy shovelware games have better rendetions on Club House Games (which was mentioned).

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
uhm.. well.. the fritz chess engine is one of the best out there..
So even if I don't know this game, I assume it's kinda decent.

lachinay

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys. this is CHESS. What matters is the way it _plays_ and Fritz is one of the most famous programs. Please don't post when you clearly haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

QazzaQY2K

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm a Chess freak! if this got real online chess to the free Internet chess servers then this is really good stuff. Only other online chess is from the Club House Games. No real ranking and everyone playing it sux. By the way Fritz isn't the best any more.. Rybka 3 is the best ELO Rating 3250. Then you also got Shredder and even homebrew open source Loopy Fruits Engine, that is better then Fritz

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well established chess program or not, what company in this part of the DS's lifespan decides that releasing yet another chess game is a good idea?
Aside from the Clubhouse games version, there's like 4 other chess games available on DS now.

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QazzaQY2K said:
I'm a Chess freak! if this got real online chess to the free Internet chess servers then this is really good stuff. Only other online chess is from the Club House Games. No real ranking and everyone playing it sux. By the way Fritz isn't the best any more.. Rybka 3 is the best ELO Rating 3250. Then you also got Shredder and even homebrew open source Loopy Fruits Engine, that is better then Fritz

DJ Hobo

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Anyway, it pisses me off when companies take one game from a large game collection and try to market it. Half these crappy shovelware games have better rendetions on Club House Games (which was mentioned).
Have you (or anyone else getting pissed off by the sight of this game) actually tried this, or is judgment being passed on this game without a fair trial? I decided to give it a go when the (E) version was released. It's much better than the chess on Club House games, because the AI on that game (for chess) is terrible. On the hardest difficulty, the AI will spend an excruciating amount of time thinking, only to choose one of the worst possible moves.

Fritz offers a much more rewarding challenge for chess players, and a bonus it has over the Chess on Clubhouse games is that you can play with a friend using the same DS. Additionally, there are chess puzzles to practice on, as well as the option of being able to use a clock (both game timer and move timer). Finally, the range of difficulty stretches far greater than the range on Clubhouse Games, as this game is specifically for chess, rather than a 40-something-in-one game.

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add to what DJ Hobo said (and as I've not played it yet I can make no comment on the quality):

To those who complain about "so many chess games" for the DS. This isn't even scratching the surface to the number of crappy "animal simulation" games out. Consider the number of Petz games, Riding Horse games, etc... not a one of them worth playing (I know because I used to play Catz and Dogz 1, 2, and 3 for the PC when I was a kid and have since been looking for an experience like that - thank you Nintendogs, but we want something newer too).

Personally, I don't mind companies releasing a new game in the same genre as a bunch of other shovelware. If the game interests me, and, eventually, is not total crap, I'll be delighted to play it, and buy it.

QazzaQY2K

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've played Fritz lots and i don't believe it plays at its peak power as I beat it to often. At its ELO 2250. With my only 1950. It seems to be letting me win at times. I think its programed in to the game to allow wins anyway. Its not like it gives a hoot. Still tho, its a good game. Will check if there is Wifi or not now.

http://ssdf.bosjo.net/ Chess Engines Ranking

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QazzaQY2K said:
I've played Fritz lots and i don't believe it plays at its peak power as I beat it to often. At its ELO 2250. With my only 1950. It seems to be letting me win at times. I think its programed in to the game to allow wins anyway. Its not like it gives a hoot. Still tho, its a good game. Will check if there is Wifi or not now.

Far higher rank than I. As I've never really played on any circuit, and always just informally, the best ranking I can provide is what Chessmaster 10 last ranked me at - an anemic 1530. My biggest problem is that I get chess blind frequently, but I have a knack for seeing a specific set of moves about 7 or 8 plays down, which has made more than one chess player question my low score - that is, at least until I play them again and they see what poor blind moves I am capable of making. Perhaps when I find myself more capable of properly focusing on the game, I can come out with a stronger score, but as the game is more of a hobby (an expensive one at that) for me, I doubt that will happen any time soon (at least until I can find a job that does not require 40+ hours of my life every week).

QUOTEhttp://ssdf.bosjo.net/ Chess Engines Ranking

Thank you for this link. it provided almost exactly the information I needed (Chessmaster 9000 listed). As Chessmaster 10 is now available, and fairly widespread, I'm wondering how it ranks, or if its engine has been dumbed down compared to their previous engine. The more I watch the Chess world, the more disillusioned I become (like most boys watching Neverending Story, I watched "The Search for Bobby Fischer" with rapt attention and a certain amount of awe - I miss that feeling). It's saddening to see a game as beautiful as Chess being delivered to the hands of computer chess engines, and people so inertly wrapped into themselves that it'd be near impossible to have any form of conversation with them. (I have the distinct pleasure of having played with numerous Master level players, as well as 1 Grand Master, who became my dearest friend, for the better part of a year. We played 1-2 games daily, and in all that time together, I beat him 3 times - I wonder where he is these days).

Do any of these chess engines that are higher up on the rankings have very good front ends (similar to Chessmaster's presentation)? I find it very difficult to focus on the game on the screen (as opposed to a real board), but there are a couple of "skins" (or whatever they're called) for Chessmaster, that have provided good approximations to seeing the game in real life, making it easier for me to focus.

QazzaQY2K

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sure are! Both Fritz and Rybka got really nice GUI in 3D with good 3D Engine ;P I myself prefer the 2D ;P But i do have my Turbo Kasparov 9000 Chess Table Computer ;P But i beat it very easy now days. With Closed games and very Solid play. Even tho its an ARM CPU

P.S This Edit is same as other one, WiFi Logo i false >__

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person