DS #3926: WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2009 featuring ECW (Europe)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^ndsrelease-5090^^

2. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I really don't enjoy These WWE games on the DS. Ever since the 2007 or 2008 WWE on DS, it has let me down so bad. Wasn't like the other console games where you did button combos. It was all touch screen basically. Wasn't a fan.

Now, if they ever make a WWE for the DS that uses just the DPAD and ABXY buttons, then I might look into it.

3. Stitch

Member Stitch GBAtemp Regular

yes, they need to get rid of the stupid touchscreen controls

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    What's that 16+ thingy doing on the cover? I mean, it's not like you kill people in the game...

5. Donato_Dobango

Member Donato_Dobango GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I actually liked the concept of WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008, where it was almost a turn based RPG with touch controls.

This game gets rid of that and attempts to force you to use touch controls for all moves, anytime you want, in real time.

It doesn't work. My first match I wanted to do a simple Irish Whip and I ended up turning around 40 times like a dog trying to lay down forever.

I agree with the IGN review of this series: if you can get art this good, screw the touch controls. The fans want No Mercy or Wrestlemania 2000, so why not give it to them on the DS while leaving the 360/PS3 versions as "traditional" Smackdowns, whatever that might be at this point.

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i think many companies overdo it when it comes to the fact tht touchscreen SHOULD be used
    keep it as a backup and not primary play, still many games have implemented it well though not as good as if it were normal controls eg.) HM: IoH or LoZ:PH or PoP:FK

7. Nottulys

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States

Same thing here....I hate these touch screen controls....I want No Mercy or Wrestlemania 2000....shit I'll settle for WCW vs NWO Revenge

8. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Touchscreen (TS) controls definitely ruin this game. I've always said, TS control is great when a game actually benefits from it (EBA, Meteos, for example), but to force TS controls on a game that would be better off with Dpad & buttons is just lame. At least give you an option as to how you want to play it. Sticking you with TS controls just because the DS has a TS is BS. (heh)

This is an area where I think most DS (and many console) games fail. They lack a choice of control styles for 90% of the games. You're either locked into a certain control method, or get only a very limited choice of control sets to choose from. I'll tell ya, on the PC, I almost always change the default controls to better suit me, and I can usually set each button to whatever I want, but with the DS, you have to deal with whatever crazy setups they decide to allow you to use, and some of them are really ridiculous, like this game and it's predecessor, which was even worse. I think it's one of the main reasons why I hate so many DS games (shovelware notwithstanding), the lack of user selectable control options.

Things like the buttons hacks for LoZ DS prove they didn't need to shove TS controls down your throat like that. So why did they? They think they're being innovative, when all they're actually doing is annoying many of the gamers that attempt to play these games by not giving you any choice of controls.

Such is gaming on the DS, I suppose. [​IMG]

9. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    So true Rayder, so true... [​IMG]