DS #3902: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (USA)

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Battalia said:
Anybody having a problem with the game freezing? I'm using a CycloDS and shortly after I enter my name during some on screen dialog, I can't do anything. None of the buttons work. Anyone else having a problem?

Also using the CycloDS, but no problems thus far. I'm a few plot turns in, so perhaps you've got a bad dump or something.

taken

Trophies
XP
Country
Battalia said:
Anybody having a problem with the game freezing? I'm using a CycloDS and shortly after I enter my name during some on screen dialog, I can't do anything. None of the buttons work. Anyone else having a problem?
update your firmware on your CycloDs

Shebang

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
to all you dumpers and couriers: I wish you six weeks of good sex for that
biggrin.gif

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Battalia said:

This actually happened to me the first time. After naming my character, glitched dialog (As in, it didn't show anything but the city picture, and text. No avatars or anything), and it froze shortly after it began. Restarted it, and the game plays fine now.

Xaintrix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I'm really enjoying this game. First off, I love the presentation. Sure the enchanted game console/handheld concept isn't the most original, but it doesn't make it any less fun. I really like all the colorful dialogue, and how learning the game system is integrated into the process. It's very intuitive. Navigation's pretty smooth and responsive going through the menus. Saving's quick too which I appreciate. You don't get to free roam and explore your environment, you choose actions from a location list. After playing Suikoden Tierkreis and a hundred other rpgs in my life, the usual ILLUSION of freedom of movement is a crock. Not having to burn hours wandering aimlessly is appreciated, especially for a portable title. Battle's a unique blend of strategy and conventional RPG systems. You move your teams like on a chess board, but the actual attacks are a single round of turn based RPG combat - prompts and all.

This game is far from earth shattering, but it is rapidly moving up the charts to being one of my favorite titles for the DS. At the very least, an absolute timesink.

Dark_linis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it interesting as soon as it gets dumped by a user on a anonomous image board only a few minutes later this is released by a release group and put up on all the usuall sites....

Xaintrix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sstew said:
So this or TWEWY. Which is better? or are these 2 different ends of a spectrum?
Is this closer to Disgaea?

As gemini said, it's a different beast. I think rather than "what is better?" it's more "Is this worth playing?"

To that I'd say yes. I'd say that this has much stronger story and character than Disgaea. Disgaea always seemed to me combat system 1st, everything else is second.

This is in my top 5 on the DS. I've already sunk a number of hours into it.

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Domination said:
mrfatso said:
and combined to be awesome
biggrin.gif
the first persona title if i am correct for the DS platform
biggrin.gif

Its the first Shin Megami Tensei title, not Persona.

Persona itself is a spin-off from SMT.

Really loving this game. The soundtrack is so cool. And it doesn't need lots of touch screen like TWEWY. But some styles are pretty similliar
arghh, i keep confusing the 2 of them
frown.gif
but doesn't mattered, it is still our first(excluding the J version, since its the same) Shin Megami Tensei

By the way, what did u guys named your hero? Currently stuck thinking of a good name for him haha

Dark_linis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mrfatso said:
Domination said:
mrfatso said:
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Really loving this game. The soundtrack is so cool. And it doesn't need lots of touch screen like TWEWY. But some styles are pretty similliar
frown.gif
but doesn't mattered, it is still our first(excluding the J version, since its the same) Shin Megami Tensei

By the way, what did u guys named your hero? Currently stuck thinking of a good name for him haha
This all gets confusing because the original name of devil survivor was "Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor" and the original persona was "Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be Your True Mind". So they come from the same sub series but I guess Atlus USA changed the name to benifit from the Shin Megami Tensei name recognition.

BTW, according to wiki, Megami Ibunroku means "Alternate Tale of the Goddess"

I guess it's not all that important anyway.

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dark_linis said:
mrfatso said:
Domination said:
mrfatso said:
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

frown.gif

This all gets confusing because the original name of devil survivor was "Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor" and the original persona was "Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be Your True Mind". So they come from the same sub series but I guess Atlus USA changed the name to benifit from the Shin Megami Tensei name recognition.

BTW, according to wiki, Megami Ibunroku means "Alternate Tale of the Goddess"

I guess it's not all that important anyway.

Megami Ibunroku is the same as Shin Megami Tensei. Shin Megami Tensei is like a superseries made up of different spinoff series. One of the spinoff series is the Persona series. This isnt in its own series but it is its own game in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Hope this makes sesne as im not good at explaining stuff.

Anyways, this a great game. Aint a pushover like a lot of other ds rpgs ive been playing recently, I like that.

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I loving this game !
The soundtrack is great (Except the battle music would have at least change or be better
dry.gif
)
I love how you learn skills, the demon fusion and the auction.

One thing that is annoying me are missions where I'm not supposed to let people die because they get killed quickly (even if I heal them constantly).

When do you get your 4th party member (or even 5th ?) ?

It works perfectly on the R4 (at the 2nd day 18:00pm atm)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: