DS #3629: Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin -

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by dice, Apr 9, 2009.

1. dice
    OP

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    ^^ndsrelease-4771^^

2. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    I enjoyed the first two "games" and found them to be some of the best Japanese learning tools out there for the DS. I'll give this one a go.

3. chewtoy

Newcomer chewtoy Member

United Kingdom
    Been using this for a couple of days now. At the low level (which is where I am) this is very similar to Kanken DS2. There is a new stroke order section which is good for beginners; however it only covers the 9-10 kyuu Kanji, so it isn't useful for long.

Where it really looks like they've been working is towards the higher end. The dictionary now contains usage examples rather than just readings and stroke information and there are a lot of extra questions for the high end ranks.

They also added a few more stats views for the stat junkies amongst us... when you first start up it will show you the progress graph and radar graph pages from the stats menu as well as a page showing the time you've spent in the game and total number of questions you have answered. You can also view a radar graph of your answers after taking a test to see which areas you did well/badly in.

The retro RPG Kanji game is a blast. Seems to be the only game where you can select the level of Kanji in the questions, so is perfect for beginners like me.

The final upgrade I am finding useful is the "My Kanken" section. When doing the tests or training there is a checkbox visible for adding the current item to your "My Kanken" section. You can then later do tests and training based on just the kanji you are having trouble with rather than the whole level.

This is a very worthwhile update IMHO.

Pet peeves: Dumping you back at the main menu after a training session is annoying - would be much better to take you back to the training menu. Could just be that I'm using it wrong though...

Would be nice to see some sort of SRS built into the training section in a future version. Would also be nice if they recognised how many gaijin studying Japanese use this and add an option for English menus [​IMG]

4. loksun

Newcomer loksun Member

Singapore
    Nice review chewtoy. Have been wondering if I should give Kanken 3 a go or just stick to Kanken 2. Guess, I'll try Kanken 3. =)