DS #3429: Cookie Shop (Europe)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Feb 21, 2009.

Feb 21, 2009

DS #3429: Cookie Shop (Europe) by Chanser at 1:55 AM (3,589 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^ndsrelease-4555^^

2. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  3. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    Must admit, it does look decent.

4. jenngcia

Member jenngcia GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    This is different from Candace Kane's Candy Shop? I know it's cookie, but graphics seems familiar...

5. Mazensa

Newcomer Mazensa Member

United States
    Its Japanese developed thats why it interest me.

6. Kosmo

Member Kosmo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The girl on the cover looks like she has a cookie up her...yeah... [​IMG]

7. masdeeper

Member masdeeper GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    me to I like the girl on the box....

8. FlameTakuya

Member FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Singapore
    Is this like a tycoon game?

If it is then great, I really like tycoon games... [​IMG]

9. GreenBanana

Member GreenBanana GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Who's the bimbo on the cover who thankfully doesn't appear in the game from as far as I can tell?

Apart from wanting to nibble on the characters, I can't really understand what I'm supposed to do in the game. I was told to go wander around and look at other shops, but I'm not sure how I know when I'm done with that or how to really get started becoming a tycoon over the cute little chocolate animals. I see that you just "do things" until the time passes. This game's not without its obvious flaws, namely walking into other characters can get you stuck talking to them. That and when making the strawberry shortcake, the game told me to "circle within the red areas", but when I did nothing apparent seemed to happen and I failed at making the strawberry shortcake. ;-;

After several days, I managed to figure out what it was the game was looking for in making a strawberry shortcake. For those of you also having trouble with the game's awkward interface, just circle the stylus once within the red circle, and then lift the stylus up and repeat for the other circles. The red circle should disappear and be replaced by a dollop of frosting/cream. The problem lies in the game's use of mostly static images. It can be hard to tell if what you're doing is correct. Although this is a cute game, it still feels a bit frayed at the edges as though hastilly slapped together (in a non-perverse manner). Try out the "Pastry Chef" outfit at the Boutique on the 8th floor, then tap the "buy" button to watch the text scroll over the next line. I also feel like every time I play it's taking longer and longer for the fade-in effect to finish.

Such is the life of an entrepreneur. I can't wait for that day when soon Rose shall be considered the bourgeoisie and may exploit her workers under the rule of an iron whip! Helpless plebians! Rose, almighty ruler of the dollar, smothered in honey and sugarsweet stickiness, shall destroy your puny laborious souls! This game tempts my sweet tooth.

"You received SWEET BEANS!"

I am beginning to question the effectiveness of employing Creamy. How effective is she at being my wage slave? There are many factors to consider when reaching my way to the top as a cookie tycoon. First and foremost, she has a womb, so I have to worry about giving her time off if she has babies or something, especially with Champy having his eye on his baker's dozen putting a bun in her oven. But then, the game doesn't tell me what the deductable is for this no-good working class ingrate. This game leaves much to be desired from an economics standpoint. I certainly hope I'm not paying for Creamy's insurance, HMOs are evil bastards who dump unwell people on the street and charge them to put fingers back on. Maybe I can fire her for rolling in the dough and hire someone more desperate who doesn't know what minimum wage is. On the bright side, that Cherry character seems to have some pitiful emotional bond to Rose that can perhaps be exploited by pushing my merchandise in her cafe. There's no room for sentiment in big business, and the only love that's needed is love for my product! Move over, Rockefeller, because the only sweets being served in Rose's shop is HUMBLE PIE!!

Note to self: Must figure out a way to disappear Peachy without arousing Cassis's suspicions. Perhaps cement shoes for the pair of them?

10. moo422

Newcomer moo422 Advanced Member

Canada
    great hilarious review !!

some is taking their casual gaming awful serious. that being said, adopting such a megalomaniacal attitude may be the only way to make it fun. i played about one week (of game time) and the game is pretty painful. the limit on number of tasks that can be done daily, the horribly slow UI, and absolutely silly minigames. that said, the concept is interesting enough, but there simply isn't anything compellingly addictive or exciting about the game, and the sluggish UI makes boring tasks even more annoying.

11. GreenBanana

Member GreenBanana GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Yeah it's honestly not that great for all its cuteness. Pretty sloppy.

12. ShadowStitch

Member ShadowStitch Devilot's Tubtoy

United States
    Hmm, I dunno... I just started really getting into this game, and I'm a bit disappointed there are no faqs or anything anywhere online... I understand it's a niche title, but this is one of those bizarre Japanese games that I can't imagine ever coming out in English and yet it did...

There was a first game in this series, which was a lot more simplistic and centered around contests, which came out in 2005. Then this one came out in 2007, where you're in a department store. And in 2009 there's one coming out where you drive a "Taco Truck" that roams the city, serving mobile sweets to the soon-to-be diabetic inhabitants of your saccharine little town.

Once I figured out exactly what they wanted me to be doing in Cookie Shop, I started to really enjoy it... it's like the best parts of a tycoon style sim, an animal crossing style social cutefest, and a cooking mama style minigame collection.

You bake items for your menu, which both leads to the items getting better (and hence selling more) and unlocking further recipes requiring more expensive and numerous ingredients. And there are a LOT of recipes. And as your shop gets bigger, you have to diversify and redecorate to appeal to your customers. It's all about driving sales -- would a level 3 cupcake sell more than a level 1 montblanc? Should you decorate for holidays, or spend the money on more recipe books? And of course, there are silly dress-up and stylus minigames that serve no purpose I can see.

It's no masterpiece, granted ,but it's at least coherently translated, cute, and reasonably entertaining after a fashion. If you enjoyed Cooking Mama or the Sims Open for Business, you might get a kick out of this if you give it a chance...and if you're willing to wade through the ridiculously nonintuitive menus to do so.

It took me days to realize that pressing R or L would show the ingredients for the recipe I was trying to cook, and hence what I needed to buy... 3_3