DS #3135: Mushroom Men Rise of the Fungi (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tempbot, Dec 7, 2008.

Dec 7, 2008
  1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    ^^ndsrelease-4205^^
    Contributed by -GJ-

2. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Lotta great ideas, but pretty unpolished. I'm only on the second level (after training), and already it's a bit frustrating because it's difficult to know where you can land and where you can't. Keep falling to my death.

Cool-as-heck vibe and atmosphere, though. Love the weapons system, as well as the ability to level up stats.

3. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Is there any link up between the DS and Wii version?

4. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    omg a mushroom game and rise of teh fungi? aren't mushrooms kind of fungi?

5. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wii game looks fantastic. But the DS ones doesn't look that great at all. Reviews have been pretty bad for it. Well, I'll try it out and judge for myself.

6. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This is why you were left on that island... [​IMG]

Anyway, glad this is out, gonna give it a shot later [​IMG]

7. eltrut

Member eltrut GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I haven't heard of this, what's it about?

The cover reminds me of old horror movie covers for some reason, maybe the title?

8. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    the cover art is amazing. i'd almost buy it for this alone.
    ok, will give it a quick try to know if i will actually buy it [​IMG]

9. Oisterboy

Member Oisterboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OH MY GOD FINALLY!

Mushrooms are totally my thing man! I've been waiting a year and a half for this! I'm gonna get the Wii version for sure too, but its too expensive at the moment (holiday constrictions, you know...)

I'm so happy I could cry.

(I'm super into mycology so I know all the different strains and TONS of stuff about mushrooms, so this should be very, very interesting for me if they even half knew what they were doing)

10. 2short

Member 2short GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    gamecock!!

11. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Sweet,I rmember reading about this game a few months back.

12. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    the voting doesn't give justice so try it out, it's gonna be fun... after all look at the name
    (no sarcasm... truly)

13. 2short

Member 2short GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    primus did the soundtrack!!

14. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's a pretty terrible game. Mushroom Men is a platformer that can't decide if it wants to be a touch screen game, or a traditional game, so it throws up its hands and forces you to use both. Everything about it suggests poor planning, poor execution, and no consideration along the development process whether they were throwing bad elements together to create a bad game. The effort is there, but it's under a long list of things that went horribly wrong.

Like everything with the UI: it's all awful. Every last detail of it. Hit a button, hit another button to trade the screens, do stuff, hit a button again to trade them back, hit another button to go back to the screen you wanted... And all on the touch screen, when your hands are supposed to be on the buttons in order to play the stupid game.

The control options give you four presets. Why they couldn't just let you assign your own keys is within nobody's power to ever understand.

The graphics are muddled in a sea of dark indistinguishable colors. It suffers from poor dynamics, like the grapple they shove in your hands to start. Again, more simultaneous buttons+touch screen batshit abusrdity.

Why they couldn't look at--literally--any other platformer in the history of video games down to Super Mario Bros, figure out what made those _fun_, then just emulate that is another perplexing mystery. Instead, they opted to extract the nuisances from those games and weave them together into this abortion.

And to top it off, they decided what the action genre really needs are constant interruptions of text. The button to skip it being--you guessed it--another touchscreen control.

It hurts my head to even contemplate what they could have ever thought they would accomplish. This makes a strong case that programming should be a licensed profession, like the medical and law fields. And these would be the first people to have theirs revoked.

15. staticfritz

Member staticfritz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Props to Dib for summing up the problems with this game. I really wanted to like it, but things get in the way of the fun. There's the imprecise combat controls; imagine a whining mosquito that you can't quite hit by slashing the screen and if you tap instead of slash, you deplete your archer ammo, which is limited in supply, all the while it's poking you and ducking and weaving faster than your character can move or attack, as you hope to land a lucky hit. Then there's the slippery edges that you slide off if you're to close to the edge of a platform. Top that with no way to verify if you will land properly or die, this is really annoying. You will die ALOT in the first two levels, and I haven't even beaten level 2.

Dib's right, Gamecock wasn't content to use tried and true mechanics coupled with fresh artistic ideas, instead they try to reinvent every mechanism of the platform game, making every age old mistake and a few new ones, too.

16. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    um i know that maybe this game was bad but i have a question on it (im stuck...) in the Mysterious Mushrooms level..i cant seem to locate the food for the beetle to pull the rocks...any help would be appreciated...

thanks in advance...