DS #3044: Moto Racer DS (Europe)

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ey! This looks very good! Not available at my site yet. Don't mind though, still working trough Luminous Arc 2
biggrin.gif

Kensuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it's a shame it doesn't have regular d-pad controls...

i tough the stylus controls would be CRAP, but i found it being really great!!!1

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Most of you lot have no idea of what you're talking about.

This game has BOTH stylus and dpad controls for driving your motobike, changable from the options menu (so it's one or the other, not both at the same time). There's also the option for stylus controls to be used by right and left handers which is nice I guess but the way it's used does make me question whether it's necessary.

Modes include moto GP, supercross, freestyle (basically supercross except you try to earn points for doing tricks - done using the trigger buttons + dpad whilst in the air) and traffic (where you race in streets full of... traffic). The first two modes then break up into other modes such as single race, time trail etc. but there's also an unlockable option it appears that allows you to race on mirrored versions of all the tracks.

From what I've seen there's quite a few bikes and tracks to unlock and a sizable amount are available from the start but tbh I found the dpad controls in supercross to be horrid so I wouldn't bother using it in that mode to unlock mode specific content.

The game for me shines when using the stylus for the controls. It's hard to explain but basically the main driving mechanics are done with your stylus alone (doing tricks, using turbo boosts and doing wheelies can't be done from what I've experienced with it). To speed up you have to keep the stylus on the upper area of the touch screen, the higher you move it the faster you go. Braking of course is done in the opposite direction with turning corners also following the same method (so for example, turning a right handed corner at increased speed would mean dragging the stylus towards the top right corner screen and braking at a left handed corner meaning dragging the stylus towards the bottom left corner of the screen). Whilst it does take some time to get used to (not to mention how difficult beginner class can be at the start) you'll find winning races a much easier task.

Graphics are fine, not spectacular IMO but as long as you can see the track up ahead (which was the case with me) they do a good enough job (although you have to laugh when the biker falls through the ground after crashing).

So far overall I'd have to say that I'm indifferent about the game. There are other things not mentioned about it that frustrate (i.e. races being too long) but since there arn't that many great quality racing games on the ds atm, the good stylus controls in particular (the main think keeping me from not playing something else) does make this stand out from most. Also this is only based on under an hours play so I may grow to like this game even more.

D

Deleted User

this is made by a little french company from Lyon, and the city itself is one of the race. Might be fun since I use to live here.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm impressed, obviously a lot of work has gone into this one. The graphics are good by DS "realism" standards (the system being a lot better at cartoony or heavily stylised graphics than gritty realistic ones), they're solid looking without the 'shaking' that you often seem to get with textures and, most importantly, they're fast and smooth.

Stylus control is actually excellent in this game as well, as far as I'm concerned and I'd ask people to give it a try. It's been pulled off really well and gives you complete analogue control over steering, acceleration and braking.

Austinz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Grrr so let me add this to my list

Tomb raider UW
NFS Undercover
Chrono
Skate

and now this. . . i hate playing multiple games at once . . but too many I like

euqiddis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just played it fr 5 minutes and im impressed, very good graphics apart from in the rallycross tracks. How do u do tricks?

oyu2o

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
anyone?

- how to do tricks?
- how to enable those checkpoints in time trial (3 yellow dots on the track map)
- any other tips?

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
euqiddis said:
just played it fr 5 minutes and im impressed, very good graphics apart from in the rallycross tracks. How do u do tricks?

While holding L or R, flick your stylus on the edge of the touch screen. On the side it tells you which tricks you can do.

Eoghann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this game out today and I have to say I'm impressed. I think this is the best by far in Motorcycle games for DS. The new Stylus Precision Handling feature really makes it SO much easier to maneuver. I said I was only going to test it out for 5 mins and ended up playing it for an hour. xD

Very nice game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: wait...my gbatemp acc is almost 10 yrs old lmao