DS #2834: Away Shuffle Dungeon (USA)

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought this game had been hyped up for ages as well. Now no-one even knows about it. Apparently it's an average dungeon-crawler that randomly changes as you play. It's big selling point is a dynamically moving dungeon (even when you're in that part of the dungeon, it will move about).
Think the stairs in Hogwarts, it changes as you play. Will check this out to see if it's any good, but according to reviews, it's just above average.

ramzabeoulve

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-difference.com
XP
Country
France
Huh, wasn't it delayed 'till December ? Nice surprise dump, can't wait to try it.
Side note : given nearly all of their recent efforts sold horribly in Japan (ASH and BD+ bombed pretty hard, and Away didn't even sell 2000 copies !), one gotta wonder how Mistwalker hasn't kicked the bucket yet.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hooray! It's not delayed!

Or it leaked earlier.. whatever
tongue.gif

I was looking forward to this
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, just played through the first dungeon, and though it's not quite what I expected, I like it quite a bit. At first I wasn't too impressed. The graphics are kinda "meh" and the game doesn't really direct you much to start. But after completing the first dungeon, I see a method to the madness. It seems to have a fun, tight formula in place.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, finally. I've been waiting for this one for a while now. It has gotten some pretty good reviews, so I'm anxious to get started.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty good. It looks like it's heavy on presentation and atmosphere. It's sort of very Zelda like in it's look and characters.

As far as gameplay, it's a dungeon crawler with a time limit to get to the top or bottom part of the screen before one half is removed from the screen. You have to collect treasure and other items to level up and collect helper monsters before this all happens. It's a great new approach to an old genre.

I can see this staying on my card until I finish.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
HeatMan Advance said:
It's pretty good. It looks like it's heavy on presentation and atmosphere. It's sort of very Zelda like in it's look and characters.

As far as gameplay, it's a dungeon crawler with a time limit to get to the top or bottom part of the screen before one half is removed from the screen. You have to collect treasure and other items to level up and collect helper monsters before this all happens. It's a great new approach to an old genre.

it has time limit? i think i'll pass

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the character models look stupid..
BUT it has a cool game mechanic.
something that hasn't been done over 9000 times for a change
ph34r.gif

i like it so far.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
HeatMan Advance said:

it has time limit? i think i'll pass

It's not really a bad thing for this game. Maybe you have to try it to see what I mean. You'll see one part of the screen shake and you'll just have to get to the other screen before it changes/shuffles. The levels will keep shuffling until you go down a level that leads to the next floor. It repeats if you don't go down so there's always time to collect all the items again if you miss any.

So you don't die from time running out to leave the shuffling screen. You die from the shuffle itself. The time is just the warning you have before the shuffle comes. Maybe I should have called it the shuffle countdown instead of a time limit. This is why I always suggest for people to try it themselves in case my words are misleading. There's no experience like your own experience.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm gonna stick with it. I played through some more this morning, and the second dungeon is quite a step up in difficulty...but then the third dungeon is easier. Only fought one boss so far, and though he was pretty simple, it was fun and he was cool to look at.

I like the production, though. They really made a nice, tight package here. Not sure how long before it gets old, but I like it. It also has a kind of simplified Pikmin thing going on with the flubongs (or whatever the heck they're called). Not much to it, but again, fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap.