DS #2779: Martin Mystery Monster Invasion (Europe)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by lagman, Oct 15, 2008.

1. lagman
    OP

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    ^^ndsrelease-3797^^

2. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    The boxart reminds me of scooby doo.

3. Curley5959

Curley5959 CCC Member!

Feb 2, 2008
    Australia
    same here.. [​IMG]

4. ShadowXP

ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 20, 2002
    this show is pretty old, i didn't know it was even being aired anymore... used to watch this in the early 00's [​IMG]

5. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Never heard of the cartoon.

"In this adventure and exploration game, the player has to send horrible monsters back to their own dimension and solve paranormal circumstances with Martin, Diana and Java. The game is based on the popular Martin Mystery cartoon, produced by Marathon Media, in which Martin, Diana and Java investigate paranormal occurences in mysterious worlds full of strange creatures."

Apparently its a top down adventure title.

I'd prefer to see
    Code:
    [M]artin Mystery.

6. ShadowXP

ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 20, 2002
    he'd love for us to play it, but he thinks it'd blow our minds

7. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    adventure games are the way to go on the DS but some just dont show enough effort

8. currynoodles

currynoodles GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2007
    Malaysia
    Is it any good? I have to embarrassingly admit that I kinda like the series, haha!

9. ringorinfret

ringorinfret GBAtemp Fan

Mar 10, 2008
    United States
    Is that a David Bowie quote?? [​IMG]

10. DivineZeus

DivineZeus GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2008
    Italy
    Rovigo, Republic of Venice
    It's a well known italian comic created by Alfredo Castelli, edited by Bonelli Editore... its original name is Martin Mystère and it (was) is quite good... dunno anything about this game... [​IMG]

11. armagedalbeebop

armagedalbeebop GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2007
    same here

12. Absynthe

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    This is a horrible ripoff of one of our (italian) best comic strips, Martin Mystére.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Myst%C3%A8re

The names are the same, but the art... The boxart looks nothing like the actual characters, and if (and boy I never wanted to be wrong as badly as I do now) if this is an official readaptation of the comic book, then... Godawful work. If this is not related, where are lawsuits when we need 'em?

13. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Tried it.....game seems kinda weak. You move around solely using the touchscreen, collecting clues and encountering traps (and I'd guess monsters at some point). The characters move around too slowly and get stuck on every little thing you bump into. Things that you must interact with have a little sparkle on them, so no real searching is required, just going from room to room looking for the sparkles. Graphics are nothing special....merely functional. Sound seems to consist mostly of morning cartoon spooky music......not really all that spooky.

Like many of these types of games, certain characters are required to do certain tasks. A simple drop down menu allows you to select the characters, save and access the inventory.

This might be interesting for some people, but it just seems boring and too tediously slow moving to hold my interest. Not too mention the forced touchscreen controls annoy me. It could have used the D-pad and buttons just as easily, but NOOOOOO, freakin' touchscreen everything. GAH!

Sort of reminds me of the Harry Potter games.....without the magic or as good of graphics. Bleh.

This mini-review is only based on the first 10 of 14 rooms of the first mission (I couldn't tolerate playing it any further), so there a slight possibility that it might get better, but I doubt it. it looks more like a game for young kids than anything any REAL gamer would care about.

14. Disco

Disco GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2006
    Croatia
    Croatia
    Martyn Mistere, Nathan Never, Dylan Dog, Mister NO....

Great comics!

15. marko1986

marko1986 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2005
    Croatia
    Dylan Dog is a great comic book, I agree [​IMG] Too bad we can`t get a decent game out of it.

16. Absynthe

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    I don't think is a good idea turning something into a videogame... I say go for an original concept

17. amptor

amptor Banned

Banned
    May 2, 2003
    United States
    Code:
    [M]artin Mystery Monster Invasion

18. Ferrariman

Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Dec 9, 2007
    Canada
    Canader.
    it is related.

19. berlinka

berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Jul 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Harderwijk, Netherlands
    I immediately thought the same thing! With the purple and the monster in the background.

20. gizmo_gal

gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

Apr 10, 2008
    United States
    1st dimension, Earth
    I could never get into the cartoon when it aired on US channels. I dont know, I couldn't sit through more than 5 minutes of the show...I thought it was some sort of Scooby Doo type show but I cant be sure--I think that his monsters were real.