DS #2706: Lock's Quest (Europe)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tempbot, Sep 24, 2008.

Sep 24, 2008
  1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    ^^ndsrelease-3719^^
    Contributed by Chanser

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    is this any good?

3. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    I heard it was alright.

4. Intimidator88

Member Intimidator88 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I got the usa ver of it on my m3 and so far its been pretty cool and if your looking for a different kind of rpg to play then i say go for this one but its sort of like Final Fantasy XII RW cause you attack like in that game but you also build things to help ya out like gunners and walls stuff like that.

5. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I actually really like this game

6. Rehehelly

Member Rehehelly GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Languages: English, German, Italian, French, Spanish

7. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's a decent tower-defense type game if you like the genre (it's sort of a cross between a tower-defense game and an action RPG, I guess. The genre should be listed as 'tower defense/RPG' or something, although I guess 'tower defense' isn't a common enough genre on the DS to be worth it...)

You don't just place towers, though; you also have to put down walls, traps, robots, etc. It's by the creators of Drawn to Life, although it doesn't have too much in common with that title.

Oh, and the character portraits are horrifically ugly, although the characters themselves (in the lower screen) aren't so bad. Seriously, though, while graphics aren't a hugely important thing for me, those character portraits are ugly enough to interfere with enjoying the game.

At least now we know why these people's first idea for a game was one where you draw everything yourself... (Zing!)

8. darigaaz3

Newcomer darigaaz3 Member

Malaysia
    Agree with the ugly character portraits. I finished the game and must give a fair warning to all.

The game is pretty enjoyable, especially if you like tower defense stuff. HOWEVER, when you get the acid attack that requires you to circle around to use the power, SKIP it. Scratches my screen really badly that I now have a permanent circle at the bottom of my screen from overusing the power.

I wish I could undo what I did but I can't :/

9. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Thats why you use screen protectors.. [​IMG]

Yeah, my protectors are scratched, But going to replace tonight.. [​IMG]

10. Cait

Newcomer Cait Member

United States
    WHen i first tried this game, the only thing i could think about were the stupid character portraits XD

It seems like a good enough game, but...

I keep staring at the portraits o__O

and im like "....This totally looks like some generic shatty disney channel cartoon drawing"

@.@ maybe they have secret mind control codes embedded into them!??!?

I duno, but.. the other thing that kept bugging me was... Lock's sprite could be interchanged with a naruto sprite and i think 1/2 people wouldnt even notice >.>... XD

11. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm just surprised it came out so fast over here in Europe. Pity they don't do the same for other games..

12. Trulen

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't really find enjoyment in tower defense games, but this has been entertaining.

It's pretty frantic for me due to my non-experience in the genre.
    Repairing, going to fight, running back from tower to tower to repair them!

Not having enough "Source" to build what I want.

Though I'm enjoying it.

13. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Early play is easy fun but it gets a lot more difficult later.

You repeat maps so often, with the objective to 'hold' one or more source wells... and get sweet fuck all for doing it. The well doesn't give source, you only make source by killing clockworks. And you must be near their corpses to pick it up.

When you enter a map you're sometimes awarded a ludicrously small amount of source to build the defences. The rest comes out of your pocket (because the wells are fucking useless) and at the end of the map, you walk away, often out of pocket unless your defences where A grade enough to glean a bit more source from killing clockworks than you spent on the structures... which is then further limited by the strict time limits.

If you find yourself without enough source for a particular map, well suck it up and start again or go back to town and play the tedious tower defence part of the title (man the gun tower in the city) to earn... a pittance of source (you get like 10000 the first win but soon it drops to like 2500-3000 per win and that's just not worth the time it takes).

The game is charming and a bit of fun but its got some hair pulling design decisions.

14. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Excellent game, so much so I tried to buy this today but its nowhere! The only newly released DS games I can find are Sonic Chronicles (which I've still yet to play), Drawn To Life Spongebob & Hells Kitchen! Will have to order it online instead.

I do really hope it sells well, then we can maybe have a sequel and there's a lot they can add for a sequel, including adding online.

15. Dingler

Member Dingler GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    It's a pretty decent game, although "rinse and repeat" springs to mind a few hours in. But definitely worth a spin!

16. -GJ-

Member -GJ- GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I like this game, played the USA version.