NULL

DS #2661: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Sep 13, 2008.

1. snaai8

snaai8 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2008
    Netherlands
    i finished the game in 4 hours!!

2. svnelvn

svnelvn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    many people who say this game sucks is comparing it to xbox/ps3 version. isn't it unfair to compare a console game to its handheld counterpart? Console versions of course have a lot more to exploit the potentials of a game, it would be more of a stunner if anybody finds the hendheld versions better. Those who say this game is fun, like me, have probably not played console versions of this game, and judging solely by it's comparison with other ds games, this one really is one of the better games.

3. Curley5959

Curley5959 CCC Member!

Feb 2, 2008
    Australia
    Lego Star Wars is better but this is ok I guess.. Not a good idea playing this game in the car when the sun is shining on the screen.. You can only see the lightsaber.. [​IMG] But its worth a try.. Its one of those games that you mar or may not like.. You just have to try it yourself..

4. multiboy2k

multiboy2k Newbie

No, the people who are all claiming that this game sucks are speaking truth.
    THIS GAME SUCKS! [​IMG]

And, if you compare this to the PSP version, you will get very angry.

I beat this game in less than 4 hours. And, all i got to show for it, is EYESTRAIN. The graphics and textures make my face hurt.
    I wont even get into the controls, that do indeed require 3 hands at some point to get the combos off. I am going to RE-BUY a psp just so that
    i can play a GOOD version of this game.

5. Raven Darkheart

Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

Aug 27, 2008
    United States
    Cyclo DS Paradise
    im not impressed with the controls at all, graphically is ok but hated the control

6. Hehe Moo

Hehe Moo Moo?

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    I finished the game in three hours. I like the gameplay, but the graphics are so bad it feels like its lagging. Every time more than 2 enemies are on screen the framerate becomes reaaaaaly crap.

7. Houou

Houou GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2006
    Sorry that I'm not patient enough to read 8 pages, but anyone noticed this release is by Venom? Sweet.

8. 754boy

754boy :D

Banned
    Oct 24, 2002
    United States
    Mississippi
    Lol kinda ironic considering the game itself is very much like venom....SICKENING [​IMG]

9. .TakaM

.TakaM .II

Oct 8, 2004
    New Zealand
    terrible game, feels like a cell phone game- both in graphics and gameplay

just awful awful crap

10. JPH

JPH Banned

Banned
    Jul 11, 2006
    United States
    Finished in 4 hours & 20 minutes [​IMG]

Not a bad game, mediocre at best, but still enjoyable.

11. wertyqa

wertyqa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2008
    Finland
    Short, short and... short. Why these games are over in a few hours of game play? Like you guys said, feels like a mobile game. My test is done. Slept night over and right now after thinking about it feel very disappointed. But as a Star Wars fan I will get this eventually from the bargain bin.

12. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Be glad you downloaded it then, you didn't have to pay the whole 40 euros for this crapgame [​IMG]

13. Joey R.

Joey R. Banned

Banned
    Jul 7, 2008
    Oviedo, Asturias
    Which is sad, because this game, IMO, is really, really bad. SW Episode III was really good... a classic side-scroller beat'em up, with the gimmicky (albeit good) force powers. I was expecting this to be similar to that game, but it is nowhere near as good as it.

PS: I don't understand why, already having great 3D games like THAW or DQMJ, developers still make crappy graphics like the ones here...

14. GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy Professional loafer

Former Staff
    Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    Limited resources would be my guess. It looks like it was developed by NSpace (CoD4 DS), and though the engine they used looks like it can pump out some decent visuals, if attention to detail isn't given, it's not going to look great. This game was probably farmed out by LucasArts for dirt cheap, and they probably got what they paid for; too bad people buying this game won't.

Still, I think it's an okay game. I can't compare it to a mobile-phone game, since I don't have the means to play games on my cell phone. But yeah, it's not great. It's not terrible, though -- not by a long shot. That said, I'm going to hold off on playing through any more of it right now, because I'm going to be playing the PS2 version here in the next couple of days, and since the story is basically the same for each version, I want to go in fresh with what I anticipate to be a better version than this.

15. Calafas

Calafas GBAtemp Fan

Mar 29, 2008
    England
    I'm stuck, how do you get past the huge boss on the jungle level where you hafta run up hill and it chases you? I cant do any damage to it, but i cant run away quick enough either? Thanks

16. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    So, what do I gete for beating the game? I'll tell you what I got.....Darth Vader playable in multi-player and a Ultimate Jedi Training suit. That's it.

Took me 5 hours 11 minutes to beat. I was stupidly trying to look EVERYWHERE to find hidden whatevers.

I thought the the game was OK.

17. imz

imz GBAtemp's vigilante

Nov 6, 2007
    Gotham city
    sorry if this has been asked before but when's the Europe release coming out?

18. dualscreenman

dualscreenman GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2005
    United States
    Rockin' the DSman Party-Van
    If you go after revenge for Darth Vader you get a much more sad ending + ultimate Sith robes.
    I guess they thought that having one teensy, tiny plot fork at the end would be enough to justify 4.5 gameplay? I mean, I guess it got me to play it twice and it was, surprisingly, just about as much fine the second time around as it was the force. I think I like the game. Fucking up people with the Force is fun, and the second time around you're even more efficient at combos, etc and can deal out a shitload more pain in amusing ways. Throwing people off platforms is fun...

This game just screams to be played on an analog stick, and sometimes it's dumb when you're using the force. I had no issues with pulling off combos, so at least they pulled that off nicely. For what it's worth I thought that the environments were nice; they certainly gave the game it's mood. They could have been more polished, though. With more polish I think it could have been comparable to Metroid Prime: Hunters graphics-wise. The framerate is bearable until 5 or more enemies appear on screen.

All in all it's a fairly OK game that could have baked in the oven for a bit longer. If you just want a very video-gamey game that is no more complicated than doing this, then I'd recommend giving this game a go. It'll at least entertain you for an afternoon or two.

19. dib

dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 1, 2004
    United States
    I didn't play it beyond the first real mission. Fixed camera that works against you + only adequate controls does not make a good recipe for jumping platforms. That tells me the rest of the game is going to throw even more tedium at me, which is my signal to stop playing and move on to something else.

20. kjean

kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 15, 2008
    where I'm from
    fine for me. finished two times, 'cos got two endings and unlockable costumes.
    are there more endings? lags of extra feature and replay value, however.

NULL