Purdie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reminds me of Shining Soul, I love it.
Oh man I'd love a Shining Soul 3.
Anyway, I got to the first boss and died and didn't get to save so I'll probably be ignoring this for a little while to play N+ and Harvest Moon.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
Just wait for cheats.. Thats what I do.. Some will come out probably tomorrow.. I think.. N+ Codes are already out..
tongue.gif
And have already been added to Narin's Database as well..
biggrin.gif

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
the japanese boxart is so much better it hurts. the us one is just some random character art slapped on top of a background with no thought whatsoever (well maybe one thought, and i'll leave you to guess what that was about)

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wooh finally! Time to see how this one holds up against Shining Force
smile.gif
I've been waiting for a third installment on the DS forever now.

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This video makes it look awesome:

And this video shows you the truth about how dull it is.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gameplay video makes it seem more Zelda meets 'strict' RPG.

I'm definitely going to try this, because it's funny how the reviews go from "This is great" to ONE person posting an actual detailed view on it, and it being massively hated on.

Then again, it's not like this doesn't happen in every new largely unplayed game's thread here, all it takes is one person that seems like they know what they're talking about to post, and everyone needs to be a sheep.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All experienced RPG players know that the less amount of armour a female characters has the higher the stats of it are. With male armour it is the other way around....

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not too shabby, pretty straight-forward gameplay but it’s a dungeon crawler after all and I certainly don’t mind that or I wouldn’t be drawn to the game in the first place
smile.gif
I really like the way skills work, but unfortunately - straight hand-to-hand combat is kinda dull
frown.gif
And I can't imagine how ranged would be any better. The problem here is that there's hardly any challenge in the game - you should have no trouble beating up monsters as long as you don't get yourself surrounded, and I don't see how that could ever happen unless the map is just cluttered with enemies. But luring them away from each other is pretty easy anyway, 'cause the monsters don't really agro a lot unless you're really close to them.

So I guess I should blame the AI. I think the game would benefit a lot from having both you and the enemies to be able to block attacks. As it stands now you just mash the A-button for a three-hit-combo and as long as the monster keeps getting hit - it can't attack you back and since your character pretty much never pauses in-between attacks, you just have to keep pressing A repeatedly and the monster you're attacking won't be able to do a thing.
In fact, because pressing Attack not only makes you thrust forward but also pushes the monster backwards whenever you land a hit - this means that the monster will eventually become cornered or held up against something - be it a rock, mountain wall or just the edge of the screen - and that just makes things even easier for you 'cause you don't take any damage from just touching a monster, so when you have one cornered - you could just stand on top of it and keep pressing A until it dies...

So yeah while the game looks pretty good, has a nice interface, an interesting way of dealing with skills (you steal them from your enemies, btw), and is probably even more enjoyable in multiplayer - the lack of difficulty with poor AI and button-mashing-tactics makes it really repetitive and that's a real shame
frown.gif
I honestly enjoyed Shining Force on GBA a lot more...

I do hope that the game sells well enough for Sonic Powered to feel spurred to release an improved sequel where there's blocking and more aggressive enemies.

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Goodness, I've been past four levels (16 stages) and I can say I'm pretty much sick of it already. Bosses are incredibly easy to kill, some enemies are just plain annoying (e.g. that pixie-esque monster from levels 2-3), and the money gain is much too slow.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laminaatplaat said:
All experienced RPG players know that the less amount of armour a female characters has the higher the stats of it are. With male armour it is the other way around....
But only if it's uber c00l goth armor... same goes for the chick outfits...

Kinda like the pseudo translation they did for the PS2 Persona 3, apparently trying to capture the Wapanese(wannabe Japanese) teeny-bopper audience.

FtA is fairly simplistic, and highly repetitive as previous posters have mentioned, but I guess that if you REALLY like ARPGs, and don't mind fairly simple ones, then this is for you o.w. I'd just skip it. (The extreme amount of repetitiveness doesn't really help this game at all, and by repetitiveness I mean that while dungeons are random or pseudo-random that they have so few "room" blocks that they get overused for certain "terrain" "types" very quickly.)

Purdie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've changed my mind.
This game should be called "Put All of your Stat Points into STR to Win: The Game"

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I seem to be doing well for an Axe-using fighter. Getting a Steel Axe from the first boss allows me to OHKO most common enemies I'm facing now. Of course.

Starting a mage is bloody hard though. I probably shouldn't have spent money on the 400L rod, and instead should've saved up for one of the spells. =\

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i like it. it has nice graphics, good gameplay and delivers what it's supposed to: brainless sword/axe/bow-wielding fun
yaynds.gif
smile.gif

Gimmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Man, this game suX!

when I saw the cover of the japanise version I thought that it will be a dark dungeon crawler game with some dark settings... the first abyss level is forest?!?!?!
It's like a combination of Bomberman and Diablo.
hate2.gif

One thing though I must say is that the interface is very good, the whole bottom scree.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on