DS #2152: Sega Superstars Tennis (Europe)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by JPH, Mar 18, 2008.

Mar 18, 2008
  1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    ^^ndsrelease-3046^^

2. khan

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    Is this game any good, plz let us know.

3. Exort

Newcomer Exort Advanced Member

Canada
    Don't know, I havn't tried it yet. If it plays anything like that Sega tennis game on PS2 (wich I think was an adaptation of virtua tennis 2, and I think this game uses the virtua tennis engine) I'll be very happy. My expectations are high on this one.

4. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    i think it'll be something like tennis powertours(gba)
    cant wait to try it out!
    how come europe one comes out before us?

5. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Screenshots:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

There are a lot of playable characters in this game:
    * Sonic the Hedgehog
    * Miles "Tails" Prower
    * Amy Rose*
    * Dr. Eggman
    * Shadow the Hedgehog*

From Alex Kidd in Miracle World:
    * Alex Kidd*

From Golden Axe:
    Gilius Thunderhead

From Jet Grind/Set Radio:
    * Beat
    * Gum

From Space Channel 5:
    *Ulala
    * Pudding

From Samba de Amigo:
    * Amigo

From NiGHTS into Dreams:
    * NiGHTS
    * Reala

From Super Monkey Ball:
    * Aiai
    * Meemee

Official Game Website

It looks like it's worth a go [​IMG]

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    It seems pretty good, I've played a few matches as AiAi, the monkey from Samba de Amigo & NiGHTs guy its supposed to play like Virtua Tennis but for me its more like Mario tennis. If you find yourself sucking at this game, play as the Nights fella. Makes sure you put the difficulty up as its too easy on 1-3.

Mini games, they are distracting enough but it looks like they were rushed. Virtua Squad one should have been touchscreen.

For me its a keeper but don't play with touch mode.

So far I'd give it 7.5, I hope Nintendo gives us Mario Tennis on the DS.

7. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I've been playing as NiGHTS and I like, it so far.

Nothing earth-shattering or groung-breaking, but it's a nice enough game ... especially for free [​IMG]

8. Saylient_Dreams

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Dling right now. Biggest things I have with it so far from screens and some preview news is the roster (16 character more than half are Sonic Team), and also the scoreboard on the bottom screen looks hideous from what I can tell from the screens. However, I can't wait anymore to play this >.<
    EDIT:
    Gameplay: Plays smooth, and button controls are tight; there's no button to lob the ball though, which is kinda part of a tennis game, a somewhat essential part. Lack of lobbing the ball takes a lot of strategy off a tennis game, but I guess they figured no one really uses that button much. When a character does lob the ball, and you're trying to chase it, characters painfully move slowly backwards from what I've experienced so far (found out it's only running straight back, running backwards off to a side speeds things up). Oh only two buttons are used, A and B, could have made a 2D version of this for the GBA with these controls. Stylus controls take time getting used to, and you lose a little control on the ball. Stylus controls basically lets you drag your character around, and you can perform slides or gestures while the character is winding up to hit the ball to add some control on the ball (all I've been able to do so far is control depth of the shot). The powers of each character play well from what I can tell so far, I can't comment on balance, don't have all the characters, but some of them seem kinda cheap, like Beat, his power kinda masks the ball when he hits it and you almost have no idea where the ball might land, so it's like a 90% chance of winning the point. As for the powers, "Superstar," what you do i activate, then you still have to hit the ball by yourself, the power doesn't mean you'll automatically hit the ball like in Mario Tennis(from what I can tell playing the 'cube version). Mini games are fun, no clue if you're reward for finishing them though (probably unlocking more characters). Character models seem a little large for the court, makes setting up a serve to put your opponent off balance kinda tricky. Was just going to comment about poor AI, but I got to the special stage of the first tournament to get my ass handed to me, I under estimated the Eggman. >.> There's only 10 courts available. What would have been nice is a story ala championship mode, going around the world training and stuff. But I guess they substituted that feature from Virtual Tennis with the minigames. All mini games have 8 levels to them, the first levels are easy, and I'm guessing the later levels will be pretty tough.

Graphics: Courts are detailed, just like the console versions. Due to the smaller screen on the DS the courts really look nice and detailed like they do on their counter parts on the consoles, almost look hi-def to me. I was expecting some water down piece of crap looking courts but I was totally wrong. I think if you took a screen shot of the courts panning in, or just the court itself, without the character models on it, you could mistake it for a low res screen shot of the console counterparts. Menu screens are kinda lacking, color palette could have been a better choice, yellow hurts my eyes, oh too much yellow.

Sound: Not much to say, its peppy and happy sounding. Of course quality is down, probably because of the DS Lite's speakers. So far as I can tell each court's theme plays with the music, ala Space Channel 5 court will have Space Channel 5 music.

Replay Value: It's a tennis game, I think this game would have great replay value with friends, and also just having the option to "Quick Play" is really nice to pick up and play a quick set.
    Overall: 8/10 for me. *goes out and buys games*
    Pros: Tennis game done right on the DS. No slowdowns in single player, CG opening is nice. Controls are tight. Stylus controls. No corny story mode (yay for no corny Sonic story). Courts look gorgeous(can't get over how great looking the courts look for a DS game).
    Cons: Menu color palette.No lob button on button controls. Stylus controls. Character roster (at least put Robotnik in his little Eggwalker thing, he looks funny running). No corny story mode (CGs inbetween matches would have been cool)
    Other thoughts: I think anyone looking for a solid tennis game on the DS could play this. I find myself not even using the "Superstar" power during the match, and you can turn that off in single player and I beleive multiplayer matches to just make it a simple tennis game. Also, anyone looking for a Solid game from Sega I don't think would be disappointed much, unless their favorite Sega character didn't make the cut (could use some Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star, etc etc on here *prays for a second with more characters*).

9. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany

Hmm...As I am seeing from the Cover...It must have something to do with Sports?! xD

10. Exort

Newcomer Exort Advanced Member

Canada
    Good, I think it is more suitable to a portable device. Maybe the Wii version plays more like Virtua Tennis then ? [​IMG]

11. blahman

Member blahman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well it has the same controls as virtua tennis
    the shots from virtua tennis
    but what makes it feel really different from virtua tennis is that the characters dont have weight to them

12. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, I've actually kinda been looking forward to this one. Not expecting greatness, but if it's a serviceable tennis game with Sega fan service, that'll be good enough for me. Game looks great anyway. Sega does know how to make a pretty game.

13. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Played this on Saturday at play.com Live, and found this game to be really enjoyable. Controls are tight and the movement is fluid. Also is quite a bit of fun playing against someone else through local wifi, can't remember if it supported WFC.

14. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    AFAIK, it has no WiFi. That's something Nintendo/Camelot must take into account when they makes Mario Tennis DS... because they will. I refuse to believe we won't have a Mario Tennis DS by Camelot [​IMG]

15. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    the game is average in my opinion
    but for those not in the know
    u can do lobs and drop shots with button combinations
    such has tapping A first then hitting B

16. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States
    It just displays an error screen on my R4. Anyone else getting the same error?

17. gbands

Member gbands GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    it's working fine on my r4. you've got the latest kernel?

18. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Same here running it on 1.17 and it's great

19. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Running fine on my R4 (1.17) although soft reset doesn't work.

20. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    nice surely will try this game... seems like virtua tennis gameplay and mario tennis powerups