DS #1750: Myst (Europe)

elfgirl_45

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This game is 3+??? I was like 9 or something when it came out on the PC and it confused the crap out of me after a few hours of trying to solve the puzzles. There must be some pretty smart 3 year olds out there!! Or is that a mistake on the cover art? Or am I making a fool out of myself and it's something else completely?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is 3+??? I was like 9 or something when it came out on the PC and it confused the crap out of me after a few hours of trying to solve the puzzles. There must be some pretty smart 3 year olds out there!! Or is that a mistake on the cover art? Or am I making a fool out of myself and it's something else completely?
It means actual content is suitable for 3+ so erm I guess any under that age would either be offended or scared.

LuigiHann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was recently announced to come out in America early next year:

http://www.mystobsession.com/?module=news#32288

While I'm sure the touch screen controls are neat, the definitive way to play Myst is a full 3D remake called "realMyst," which can be played for free (legally! Cyan even gets royalties!
tongue.gif
) through GameTap. The "new age" in the DS port is the same "new age" that appeared in the PSP port, which actually first appeared in realMyst. So you aren't missing anything if you play this version:

http://www.gametap.com/home/play/gameDetails/000184150

Anybody who "can't figure out what to do," my suggestion is to keep paper handy to take notes (in the DS version, you can take notes using the touch screen, I think. So make use of that!). Most of the puzzles in the game require applying clues found in other parts of the game.

Once I play the DS version, I'll post some more specific comments.

procopio

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi,

All this time waiting to play Myst and it crashes on my R4.

Right after the opening credits on the screen that shows a book.

Just frezes up :'(

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
9 ??? Dayum, I'm 20 and it still confuses the hell outta me !!!

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, what greedy money hungry corporate monkeys there are. What is the only system left now without MYST
wacko.gif

Srsly if anyone wanted to play this (not including me) by now Im sure they would have.

LuigiHann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just played it... it is bad. This is a shoddy port. It offends me with its lack of respect for the original. It's sloppy:

In the original Myst, there were occasions when an animation would be a pixel off. It'd be understandable if those bugs were left in, but ideal if they fixed them. Instead, it happens more often in this version. On a screen with a resolution of 256 x 192, a one-pixel misalignment looks quite ugly, and having it happen all the time just makes the game look like crap. On the piano in the spaceship, for instance, several of the keys have this bug.

While the touch screen use is nice, it doesn't add much to the experience... and the lack of the context-sensitive cursor means that there's no indication of what items are clickable, or where you can click to move.

All of the new features are poorly implemented. "Zoom" shows you a zoomed-in version of the middle of the touch screen on the top screen. It only shows the dead center of the screen, and there's no way to change that. Furthermore, this "zoomed in" view is pixelated because all they did was blow up the image that had already been shrunk to DS size. There is no point at all to have the feature. When you're looking at a written note, or one of the journals, the zoom function actually works as one would expect, but why not just disable the icon outside of those situations? Why BS it like that?

The option to "take notes using the touch screen" brings up a little on-screen keyboard. The keyboard fills the bottom half of the touch screen, and the notes you type appear in the top half of the screen. The top screen is just the Myst logo. There's a backspace button, but as far as I can tell, no other way to go back to edit previous lines. All caps, no punctuation. Oh, and you can only type nine lines. It doesn't scroll or anything.

The map is pretty small and hard to read and there's no way to zoom in on it, but it's okay. I just wonder if I can only make out what the text says on it because I already know. It's still better to look at than the poorly resized logo that's on the top screen most of the time, but it seems like anytime I do anything, the map goes away and the logo comes back. Meh.

Even if I forgive the fact that they did no touching-up of a nearly 15-year-old game, even if I forgive the fact that the "Midway" logo when you turn it on is the higher quality than any of the animations in the game, heck, even if I forgive the face that they letterboxed the whole thing so that the resized images don't even take up the full screen... it's still a mind-bogglingly terrible port.

I could go on, but why bother? It's already feel like I'm spending more time playing this port than anyone at Midway ever did.

This is going to be some people's first impression of Myst... That makes me sad.

Some pictures:

picture470pl8.jpg

What time is it?
It's crap o'clock!

picture468ey4.jpg

There's only one "pressed state" for the light switch, regardless of whether or not the lights are on.

picture467ts3.jpg

This is the zoomed in version. It's not my webcam's fault that you can't read the titles off the books... they're genuinely indistinguishable.

picture465um1.jpg

No comment.

If my cheap webcam shots aren't crisp enough for you, check out the official screenshots. That Myst logo on the upper screen in most of those shots is there all the time, unless you activate the zoom or map features.

Let me please emphasize that the original Myst wasn't this terrible. If you're curious about the game, this is not the version to play.

Any questions?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
remember playing this on the PC when it was first getting big.
Remember being impressed by the video in the game (OMG, VIDEO?) but then again...thats back in the day when you could ripp the buddy holly music video (by weezer) off the windows cd (yes, it was ON the cd) and the video was about half a gig and shizzy quality.

So anyway, I'm going to try this out.

good times.. I remember the buddy holly video XD

Yugge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This was recently announced to come out in America early next year:

http://www.mystobsession.com/?module=news#32288

While I'm sure the touch screen controls are neat, the definitive way to play Myst is a full 3D remake called "realMyst," which can be played for free (legally! Cyan even gets royalties!Â
tongue.gif
) through GameTap. The "new age" in the DS port is the same "new age" that appeared in the PSP port, which actually first appeared in realMyst. So you aren't missing anything if you play this version:

http://www.gametap.com/home/play/gameDetails/000184150

Anybody who "can't figure out what to do," my suggestion is to keep paper handy to take notes (in the DS version, you can take notes using the touch screen, I think. So make use of that!). Most of the puzzles in the game require applying clues found in other parts of the game.

Once I play the DS version, I'll post some more specific comments.

realMYST was terible tho. the freeroaming was BAAAD D:

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
realMYST was terible tho. the freeroaming was BAAAD D:
I just downloaded the free realMyst a couple days ago, and I have to disagree. I really like the freeroaming 3D environment vs. the pre-rendered stills.

The DS version, however, is crap. I can almost read the clock tower, I can barely make out what the buttons around the birdbath are, and I can just barely click the up/down buttons on the control panel in the projector room. I haven't actually gone to any of the ages yet, and I probably won't.

Summary: This is probably the worst port of any game onto the DS I've ever played. They could easily have gone the realMyst route and had full 3D environments. What the hell takes up all of that 128MB anyway? There's not that much video in the game, and it only trims by about 2MB.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Summary: This is probably the worst port of any game onto the DS I've ever played. They could easily have gone the realMyst route and had full 3D environments. What the hell takes up all of that 128MB anyway? There's not that much video in the game, and it only trims by about 2MB.
Probably those 2000+ uncompressed pictures they use? As I don't expect it to come from the 8*4 pixel video from the start screen...

And of course they won't port realMyst instead of this, that would like take 'm even more then this one day they put this together...
Damn man they probably just batch-resized the pictures from the pc version, didn't notice half the pictures were corrupted, let another batch script calculate the new coordinates in a way that the rounding half the time makes the picture appear on the wrong place and let a little kid make the picture that constantly appears on the top screen in the right size for the ds without telling him the right sizes so he seemed to must have copy pasted some parts of the water again to fill the screen again.

What's the point in porting a click on something in the picture game, if you can't even create good pictures.
unsure.gif

Leah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Plays fine on my R4. I have to say I am really disappointed. I played Myst and the sequel Riven years ago and have been waiting ages for this and it was a huge let down. Good use of touch screen but it could of been made so much better.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I’m sad to say I predicted this, I was hoping to be wrong just because I like a good variety of games & not the repeated boring or retarded RPG & Pet games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here