DS #1737: The Golden Compass (Europe)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its pretty much the standard bad cash in. You've played this sort of game many times before every damn week but with a different license.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll never know. Some of those movie/cartoon/tv show games get some good ratings[7-8] from IGN.
Well I do know having played it!

Everyone knows IGN rate stuff based on how much advertising they get!

SHOCKING!
ohmy.gif

alternate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it were based on the books and not the watered down film - and you could kill God - it would be worth playing for that
biggrin.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I want to know is why Gamespot has a launch center for this game.
huh.gif

Other notable games that Gamespot has recently had launch centers for: Phantom Hourglass, Super Mario Galaxy and Call of Duty 4.

You mean to tell me that Golden Compass somehow warrants standing beside those mammoth titles?!
wacko.gif

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Phew... *wipes forehead* I'm glad that the cover informs me of "the official videogame" nature of this title. For a minute there I thought this was that cheap Golden Compass clone by Seegaa.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Phew... *wipes forehead* I'm glad that the cover informs me of "the official videogame" nature of this title. For a minute there I thought this was that cheap Golden Compass clone by Seegaa.

I'm actually hoping the unofficial versions are better than this one here.

PS: Why, oh why, are there so damn many of these mass-produced, carbon-copied, series of books? ...
mad.gif

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Golden Compass (book) is actually a very good read. I personally hated Narnia, and TGC is alot different. They probably used this box art to make it seem more Narnia-ish based on the movies success. I haven't watched the movie, but I probably won't as most book->movie transitions make me want to kill all those involved.

alternate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I want to know is why Gamespot has a launch center for this game.Â
huh.gif

Other notable games that Gamespot has recently had launch centers for: Phantom Hourglass, Super Mario Galaxy and Call of Duty 4.

You mean to tell me that Golden Compass somehow warrants standing beside those mammoth titles?!
wacko.gif

Much as I quite like gamespot, Lauch Center = Money Making.

So either it is a AAA game that will generate lots of page views for their advert banners - or it is in the way of a paid advert from the publisher. I am not one of these people who think reviews can be bought these days - but cover stories/multi page spreads/special features certainly can.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Golden Compass (book) is actually a very good read. I personally hated Narnia, and TGC is alot different. They probably used this box art to make it seem more Narnia-ish based on the movies success. I haven't watched the movie, but I probably won't as most book->movie transitions make me want to kill all those involved.

The book IS a good read. I enjoyed the series quite a lot. If this game didn't have the movie cover I would think about buying it. Too bad it's just a crappy movie cash-in.

Has anyone played a good cashin lately? I don't remember a solid game since Aladdin. :/

ASR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last good cash-in I played was Spider-Man for Gamecube. I heard the Transformers games were good, too.

This series really is amazing though, by far my favorite of all time. Well, I'll place it below Hitchhiker's Guide, but that's in an entirely different realm anyway.
I despise Narnia, haven't read LotR, and don't care too much for Harry Potter (read 1-5), but the Golden Compass and the rest in the trilogy are pure gold. Such amazing ideas and concepts.

Too bad the game really does suck. I played about three missions in and got sick of it. I can't cope with it.

To be dead honest, I do have high hopes for the movie. If only because New Line took a risk with this one, so even they themselves know they have to make it a success to save their asses. $150 million ain't chump change, especially on something as controversial as this, and throw in how it's a lot less known than LotR, Narnia, and HP before it.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I read the book series a few years ago and it is fucking awesome. Beause of this, I'm looking forward to the movie and I will definately see it (regardles of ratings that people give...I just want to see how others have visualized the book even if it's bad. I hope it's good though!).
Even so, I'm not even touching this game.

@ASR: How have you not read LoTR? Fucking awesome series, and though it is slow at times if you get through those parts you will see the awesomeness : D.

ASR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's kind of weird that I haven't. I've read The Hobbit and half of The Fellowship. I got bored with it, but it's not the book's fault - I'm just very hard to please. I'm not a big fan of Tolkien's style, though I can't really figure out why. Another example is that I wasn't even motivated to read the 6th or even the 7th HP books, despite my stance that it is indeed a great series.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm the same as you Mewgia: I want to see the movie regardless of the reviews only because I want to see how they handled the adaptation. After, it can't ruin a book I've already read countless times - it can only shed a different point of view on it, which I welcome. And who knows? It might be good.

Just don't play the game. It starts off WITH Iorek in the North on the way to save Roger. What happened to the whole book? Haha, watch, the movie will be like that, too.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's kind of weird that I haven't. I've read The Hobbit and half of The Fellowship. I got bored with it, but it's not the book's fault - I'm just very hard to please. I'm not a big fan of Tolkien's style, though I can't really figure out why. Another example is that I wasn't even motivated to read the 6th or even the 7th HP books, despite my stance that it is indeed a great series.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm the same as you Mewgia: I want to see the movie regardless of the reviews only because I want to see how they handled the adaptation. After, it can't ruin a book I've already read countless times - it can only shed a different point of view on it, which I welcome. And who knows? It might be good.

Just don't play the game. It starts off WITH Iorek in the North on the way to save Roger. What happened to the whole book? Haha, watch, the movie will be like that, too.

No, it won't, and you could tell that by seeing any of the trailers that show Lyra in Oxford as well as Lord Asriel projecting in the drawing room (which also takes place in Oxford)...

That being said, I am looking forward to the movie, I enjoyed the trilogy, I am holding my breath for The Book of Dust. Two things that strike me, 1. New Line shot TGC, and will determine if the rest of the series will become movies if it is successful 2. By waiting on this, won't the actress that plays Lyra age? That's to speak nothing of some of the other characters that need to be in future movies, including a Mr. Bond.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
So, this is the movie (actually book, I know) that I receive a lot of spam saying that it is a atheistic-satanic-materialistic-marxist conspiracy to, through subliminal message, make our children turn away from our beloved-all-mighty-lord-Jesus-Christ, as the antichrist desires to complete his one world government plan to the world, so it (the world) could be doomed.

(Sorry guys, it's just a pain in the ass this kind of paranoid religious spam)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1