DS #1662: Orcs And Elves (USA)

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yay, I wanted this game since I saw a trailer for it some months ago. A 'proper' RPG for the DS, much like Etrian Oddysey. Well, let's hope it turns out to be as good as expected, I recall seeing good reviews for the original mobile version.

crukid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
The mobile version was a fantastic game -- for a mobile game. I had a lot of fun with it. Hopefully they've done enough to make this a viable DS game and not just a straight port with a couple additions. Otherwise it'll be fairly mediocre DS game if not just plain crappy.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mobile version was a fantastic game -- for a mobile game. I had a lot of fun with it. Hopefully they've done enough to make this a viable DS game and not just a straight port with a couple additions. Otherwise it'll be fairly mediocre DS game if not just plain crappy.
I think they've done enough with it to keep the gameplay intact. It is essentially the same game but with more advance graphics and with a lot more levels and stuff added. Sure DS games can look a lot better but then I don't think it'll play the same somehow, it'll lack its retro charm which this has bags of.

The mobile game brought back memories of when RPG's were RPG's and not what they are now. I'm loving this version, I don't think a lot of todays kids will like it, but us who spent the late 80's and early 90's playing RPG's on C64s, 386-486 PCs and Amigas will get a kick out of this.

I'm hoping that this will do well enough so that they will do Doom RPG DS but I doubt it will.

adzix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
the screenshots indeed remind me of old time.
hey, why's there no dungeon master ds yet?
wink.gif

the screenshots kinda reminded me of 'eye of the beholder' and stuff like that, i really really hope that it can somewhat keep up with the classic dungeon rpgs from the old days.
any word from someone who spent some time with this version yet?

crukid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
The mobile version was a fantastic game -- for a mobile game. I had a lot of fun with it. Hopefully they've done enough to make this a viable DS game and not just a straight port with a couple additions. Otherwise it'll be fairly mediocre DS game if not just plain crappy.

I think they've done enough with it to keep the gameplay intact. It is essentially the same game but with more advance graphics and with a lot more levels and stuff added. Sure DS games can look a lot better but then I don't think it'll play the same somehow, it'll lack its retro charm which this has bags of.

The mobile game brought back memories of when RPG's were RPG's and not what they are now. I'm loving this version, I don't think a lot of todays kids will like it, but us who spent the late 80's and early 90's playing RPG's on C64s, 386-486 PCs and Amigas will get a kick out of this.

I'm hoping that this will do well enough so that they will do Doom RPG DS but I doubt it will.

I'm glad to hear that a fan of the mobile version is loving this one.
smile.gif
If that's the case, then I'm now a little more anxious to play it! Thanks for the detailed views.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the screenshots indeed remind me of old time.
hey, why's there no dungeon master ds yet?
wink.gif

the screenshots kinda reminded me of 'eye of the beholder' and stuff like that, i really really hope that it can somewhat keep up with the classic dungeon rpgs from the old days.
any word from someone who spent some time with this version yet?
Just had more time and I love it even more! Like I said before, everything about this game is oldschool, down to the story, graphics and sound.

Best DS RPG so far though before it was Mario & Luigi 2, sadly the only other RPG I really got into was Rune Factory and then I stopped playing because it was buggy. I hear it has 5 more hours of gameplay than the mobile one which sounds good for me as I have less time to play games. I'm sure the mobile one was about 3-4 hours, though I'm not too sure. Some gamers would like this to be longer but that seems to be the way nowadays.

You can also save whenever you want and resume from when you saved which is great. To be honest I can't find a fault with this game, it did take a bit of getting use to moving around but that didn't take long.

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Best DS RPG so far unfortunately doesn't say much for me... nevertheless I will check this out once I beat Contra 4... which may be never
smile.gif

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game was good on my phone. My only complaint was that it was too easy. I hope that they really tweak it for the DS. I wouldnt mind playing it a second time through as long as the difficulty gets cranked up!

BTW: Orcs and Elves II for the mobiles should be out shortly as well. Making it (I hope) the second best game on phones.

crukid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
This game was good on my phone. My only complaint was that it was too easy. I hope that they really tweak it for the DS. I wouldnt mind playing it a second time through as long as the difficulty gets cranked up!

BTW: Orcs and Elves II for the mobiles should be out shortly as well. Making it (I hope) the second best game on phones.

There are three selectable difficulty levels: normal, difficult, and nightmare. Hopefully that will help. As far as I can tell, normal feels about the same as the mobile version, so it looks like you can ramp it up quite a bit.
smile.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are three selectable difficulty levels: normal, difficult, and nightmare. Hopefully that will help. As far as I can tell, normal feels about the same as the mobile version, so it looks like you can ramp it up quite a bit.
smile.gif
Well I'm on difficult and it does seem a bit harder, when I get hit I lose more HP and there seems to be more baddies around. I also don't seem to level up as often either, though I'm not sure if its like that in normal.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now this is my kind of RPG. I can dig this. I only played as far as the combination door in my "testing", but I can tell this is a game that will get a lot of my attention. Love the atmosphere. Even the graphics look better than I expected when I was looking at vids.

Seems to be like a MUCH better version of Mazes of Fate that was on the GBA.

I haven't even gotten into this game yet and I already hope they make Orcs & Elves 2 for DS.

This and Contra 4 just made my day. WOOT!

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If this game is anything similar to Etrian Odyssey, then I will love it to death.

Dungeon Crawlers for the win.

hate2.gif
All these great games coming out and I'm at work with my leeching laptop... It downloads at Dial-Up speeds!
dry.gif

~Nero

kiwibonga

Trophies
Website
www.kiwibonga.com
XP
Country
France

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: strip checkers > nude chess