DS #1064: Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (Europe)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, May 16, 2007.

1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    ^^ndsrelease-1732^^

2. Aril

Member Aril GBAtemp Regular

France
    I love the european box art

3. THeLL

Member THeLL GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Great and addictive game!

4. AFKboy

Newcomer AFKboy Member

Netherlands
    One of the best DS games.
    [​IMG]
    Yes its only English so what, you can read it! [​IMG]

5. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    Nice game idea... if it would be solitary style all time ( like it is if you try getting spells ). The cheating CPU simply sux major balls. He still can't win but that endless luck-cheating is totally annoying, way off and destroys the game.

So yes, if this would be solitary only, then it would be damn great mind boggling game to keep you happy on the long run but this way it's just plain annoying.

6. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    You know I've tried, I really have but I just don't get why everyone likes this game so much. The slow, turn-based stuff makes it repetitive and somewhat boring. The in-fight soundtrack's depressing, it sounds like defeat music. As far as bejewelled clones go, the "quest" mode on GBA Zooo beats the hell out of it.

What am I missing here?

7. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I take it the European version never hammered out any of the "bugs" present in the American version?

8. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    It's a budget RPG mixed with a budget puzzle game. they would suck if they were on their own but if combined they make massive awesome! for some reason it's just really addictive and a good combo. if you're expecting a good puzzle game and a good story RPG you'll be let down, it's the mix of both mediocre games that make it good...if that makes sense.

Dragon: The cpu does not cheat (not that I've seen). You probably just suck or you're playing it wrong.

9. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    You're wrong, it does. I've got a bit more insight in certain "practices". Anyways you can use an emulator to test this. The CPU looks ahead and when he plays always makes the right moves especially at places where you can not confirm ( like new jewels dropping down ). With an emu and save states though you can quickly see how it is programmed to cheat.

Why do game developers this? Lack of skills. Making a puzzle game with a CPU opponent challenging is difficult. The most easy way is to program the CPU to cheat and then add a percentage value indicating the skill level of the CPU ( meaning, how much does it cheat ). Unfortunately players not fallen on their head notice quickly that they are cheated upon and this immediately destroys the game. Hence cheating CPU is very simple and easy to do but kills a game so NEVER do it.

( Yes, answer to old post... didn't see this one since just recently )