DS #0900: Schach (Europe)

ASK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People complaining about this being #900: At least it isn't some movie-tie-in dupe, right?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a shame they never decided to rerelease something like battlechess which was on the amiga. You could even play it in 2D mode if you wanted a quick game of chess. Have wifi makes the game a little better but its nothing that hasn't been done before.

Pundan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In Swedish "Chess" is called "Schack". I think the "Sch" sound is pretty unique in the Scandinavian languages (to the extent we use it) but I also believe it's used in German. So I'd say it's pronounced as the Swedish word.

Slowly pronounce the "sch" sounds (schhh) and then follow with a long a. Schack.

Zhark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In spanish we call chess 'ajedrez' I think the origin of the word is from arabic, in the middle of 13th century the south part of spain was invaded by arabs or 'moros'

Hence the phrase 'No hay moros en la costa' (there are no 'moros' on the beach) meaning there is no danger or everything is clear of hazzards

my 2 cents
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a shame they never decided to rerelease something like battlechess which was on the amiga. You could even play it in 2D mode if you wanted a quick game of chess. Have wifi makes the game a little better but its nothing that hasn't been done before.
Love to see Battlechess come back! Ah the kiss of death from the Queenie.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chess is nice but they could have at least mixed it up a bit & did something like Rooks Revenge.

Rooks Revenge Description:
Its chess... with a difference. No more taking turns. No more sighing as you wait for the other
player to think... Rook's Revenge has you making moves as fast as you can manage - and in this
game, its survival of the fastest as you play chess in real time!

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Chess is nice but they could have at least mixed it up a bit & did something like Rooks Revenge.

Rooks Revenge Description:
Its chess... with a difference. No more taking turns. No more sighing as you wait for the other
player to think... Rook's Revenge has you making moves as fast as you can manage - and in this
game, its survival of the fastest as you play chess in real time!

Woah! that sounds freakin awesome!

teunarmada

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
In Polish, and I guess that in other Eastern-European languages as well, the word "szach" (the sz being pronounced as the English sh in "shot", and the ch being pronouned as a glottal "h", think heavy russian accents and the word "hard") is the equivalent of the term "check" used in chess.

That is actually interesting to me for some reason.

This is why I welcome multi culture.

in holland whe say schaken ,,always a h afther the sc,,,like shot =schot

and schip= a ship

you speek it like ssssssssgggggggiiiiiiiiipp the s and the g at the same time ...i hope you can do somthinh with it

lecture.gif
lecture.gif
lecture.gif
lecture.gif
lecture.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"