DS #0864: Sim City (Japan)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
AOM. Age of mytholgoy would be the most coolest game ever for the NDS( only if its RTS ). i used to love playing SC3000 and then build up the most coolest city and then save it and then swarm it with ufo's. are there any Real Time Strategy games out there. if not why not

i would prefer age of empires and dune/command & conquer to go on the DS i spent ages playing dune
biggrin.gif
i know there is command and conquer homebrew for the DS but i can't seem to find the file anywhere....

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
let's just concentrate on the english translation okay?
biggrin.gif
Well, I've been having a look at it, and there's a heck of a lot of japanese text that needs to be translated, so if anybody is willing to help, please do so! I've been doing my best, but babelfish and my babelfish -> readable english skills are only getting me so far, especially since it's such slow work
tongue.gif
It is rather easy to do though, all the text is in .txt files, and it's quite easy to work out the formatting.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm also using Bablefish to translate it (Bable fish then write my own sentences which make more sense xD ) !
I also found out that :
#i = Green
#h = Red
These two tags need to end (after the word) with #z ^^

But as English is not my Motherlanguage , my translation is crappy ^^
I'm translating everything so , that you understand what do to so it's not the direct translation :\

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm also using Bablefish to translate it (Bable fish then write my own sentences which make more sense xD ) !
I also found out that :
#i = Green
#h = Red

But as English is not my Motherlanguage , my translation is crappy ^^
I'm translating everything so , that you understand what do to so it's not the direct translation :\
Yeah, I'm doing the same thing pretty much. Interpreting the babelfish translation so it's not engrish
biggrin.gif

Also:
#g = Purple
#e = Blue (iirc)

I did the tutorial menu, and I've gotten all the text in game (building names, panel text, etc) working, but all the rest still needs doing - the messages and the newsticker are going to take the longest.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also found out that :
#i = Green
#h = Red

But as English is not my Motherlanguage , my translation is crappy  ^^

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing pretty much. Interpreting the babelfish translation so it's not engrish
biggrin.gif

Also:
#g = Purple
#e = Blue (iirc)

I did the tutorial menu, and I've gotten all the text in game (building names, panel text, etc) working, but all the rest still needs doing - the messages and the newsticker are going to take the longest.
We could team up !
I did some of the Advisor messages , Saving (not completly ) , The Names , and more which I can't remember
rofl2.gif

€dit to post under me :
Ok , Good night
smile.gif

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We could team up !
I did some of the Advisor messages , Saving (not completly ) , The Names , and more which I can't rememberÂ
rofl2.gif
Yeah, that's probably a good idea!
biggrin.gif

I tried to do the "options_msg" file (I think that's what it's called) that had to do with saving, but none of it showed up, so I'm not sure about that. I'm heading off to bed now (12am here in Aus
biggrin.gif
) but I'll check back in tomorrow and see if I can help with some more stuff
happy.gif

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
How would i go about opening the rom to translate? I wouldn't mind spending some of my free time helping out. I used to play Sim City all the time so god knows this would be great for the DS.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can use ndstool to extract the rom

Put ndstool.exe in the same directory like the rom and use this batch :

ndstool -x wrg-scity.nds -9 SimCityDS/arm9.bin -7 SimCityDS/arm7.bin -y9 SimCityDS/y9.bin -y7 SimCityDS/y7.bin -d SimCityDS/data -y SimCityDS/overlay -t SimCityDS/banner.bin -h SimCityDS/header.bin

This will extract all Data from the Rom
biggrin.gif

btw :

Did anyone else have that Santa Claus Game ?
I was like WTF ?
Then i laughed a lot
rofl2.gif

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
I have ndstool but i can't extract anything. I'm using windows XP and i tried the command line and still nothing.

*Edit: i used dslazy and was able to unpack the files...but i don't think my computer is setup to read japanese.

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I took a quick look at the usa_news.txt vs newsticker.txt and they're mapped totally differently, the first couple entries in newsticker.txt aren't talking about the same thing as the first couple in usa_news.txt. If I had to hazard a guess, I would bet that usa_news.txt is a vestigial data file from an early or aborted english version, but that it is unusable by the game as-is. That said, probably good reference material
smile.gif

Also, I think %z may not be "revert" so much as "white text", subtle difference, but worth thinking about.

SynGamer, make sure you're trying to view the text files as Shift-JIS, rather than Unicode, because most Nintendo games use Shift-JIS encoding due to Nintendo's standard font libraries being Shift-JIS oriented.

Finally, the ??_msg##.txt files are in three line groups - this almost certainly means that the text boxes in SCDS don't support word wrapping nor automatic pagination, so be careful to make sure that your translated text fits in the space provided. Luckily, it looks like there are 60 pages per message, with most of them just being empty, so you should have plenty of room in most cases. Just make sure that you don't accidentally add new pages, 'cause that would probably 'misalign' the in-game text, and that is a bitch to track down once you've done it
smile.gif

I hope some of that helped somebody! I'm very excited about being able to play SimCity on the go, and I'm very confident that the community can get this translated in a matter of days or weeks, not months or years
smile.gif

Tatsurou

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Copying and pasting into Babelfish and then re-translating that is probably the WORST WAY TO TRANSLATE ANYTHING if not the WORST IDEA EVER.

If anyone is actually translating this, send me a PM so that I can help you with it.

Edit:
I got the ROM and I'm looking at the text files. There are a lot of differences between the "usa" text files and the Japanese one, even in the buildings. Anyone who's translating show me what you've done so far so I can check it.

Yeah, there's just a ton of stuff here, and a ton of stuff missing. I don't see the point in translating this if it's going to be out in the US soon. We won't be finished with the translation by the time it's out.

From the building list...
QUOTE said:
City Court
Railroad??Subway?Above ground
Subway Station?Above ground
Railroad??Subway?Underground
Subway Station?Underground
Showa era isolated house
House with garage
House in a sunny place
Pretty good house
Landlord's tenement
3 story house
Tokyo quality house
Designer's house
Glassed-in house
Kevin Way house
Hong Kong style apartment
Japanese style apartment
Yamamomo mansion
Hong Kong deco manor
Middle class manshion
New York palace

All missing, and that's like 5% of it D:

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're not going to get anywhere using the US texts. They're obviously incomplete. The only way to translate SimCity DS is to translate every japanese txt to english. That said, there isn't a hell of a lot there, at least not compared to an RPG, and the task won't require any real programming, so it should be a relatively easy job.

As for the game coming out in the US - EA only announced the SimCity was coming to the DS - not that it was coming to the DS in the US. Considering the game was made by the now closed EA Japan and is probably commented in japanese, I'd give it less than a 20% chance of ever being released in the US. Especially considering everyone I know at EA says that their DS teams are pretty much locked into Madden, Burnout and Need for Speed ports
tongue.gif
I doubt SimCity US will even get brought up in a roadmap meeting over there in Redwood City
frown.gif

DJBurkey

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi