DS #0826: San Goku Shi Taisen DS (Japan)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jan 23, 2007.

Jan 23, 2007
  1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    ^^ndsrelease-1480^^

2. Kaphis

Member Kaphis GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    whoa interesting O.o..but in jap eh? [​IMG] I highly doubt this will ever be english translated..I wonder if there is a chinese one somewhere ni the works

3. bryehn

Member bryehn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    man, i hope WRG does start to dump (J) Wii releases...

so...is this romance of the three kingdoms? if so, why is SEGA's name on it. if not, what the hell is it?

4. werwe

Member werwe GBAtemp Regular

It's definitely a ROTK game. Take a look at the screenshots at Gamespot. I have no clue why Sega is publishing it though.

5. Deanwick

Member Deanwick GBAtemp terror that flaps in the night!

Finland
    Sega being the publisher gives me pretty high hopes that this will land at least in US after a while. Hopefully so at least. Romance of the Three Kingdoms [​IMG]

6. Kenji1985

Newcomer Kenji1985 Newbie

Spain
    Look for the San goku shi Taisen arcade machine in japan,and you have a clue about the origin of the game

7. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I have ROTK10. I suck at it, and it's so boring, but it's so addicting...so how does the Wifi work exactly?

And I think Sega might be publishing it because, let's be honest, how many handheld games have you seen Koei release?

8. ediblebird

Member ediblebird GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    when i was looking for pics about this game i found this one:

San Goku screeny
    im preeeety sure that english says "thrush" [​IMG]

9. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This game is based upon the arcade game. Essentially what Sega has done is to do what Blizzard did not do. Which is to create a collectable card game, and then to make it only playable at arcade machines where you have to pay to play. There are several variants of this model, from what I've seen there are : Romancing the 3 Kingdoms, a soccer game, a dungeon rpg-ish game, and a Gundam one which is really popular. There's even a global ranking system to track which 'team' is doing better overall.

The odds of this coming to America are slim. I think people in Japan are viewing this as more of a free offline training tool to test out decks. The Soccer one might appeal to the European market I'd imagine.

10. werwe

Member werwe GBAtemp Regular

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

I wonder what's taking so long for Koei to release a real ROTK game on DS? I know they announced one a long time ago, but you'd think they'd be quick to crap one of these things out to capitalize on the DS's success. If I remember correctly, they've already dumped a couple of ROTK ports onto PSP.

11. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Ah yeah Ive seen this game in the arcades here in Japan. Didnt have a clue how its played though and it actually looked kinda boring seeing as there was very limited interaction. Also it seemed you are limited to only one special attack. Granted it looked kinda neat (arcade version, I dunno if it looks good on the DS one) if you see the same one over and over it gets kinda boring.

12. Timo710

Member Timo710 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    So this game doesn't have anything to do with San Goku from Dragonball?

13. iori-kyo-k

Member iori-kyo-k GBAtemp Fan

France
    lol, hell no. It's like asking if a game with "Orochi" in it refers to "KOF" ;P

14. codexile

Newcomer codexile Newbie

United States
    I'm surprised you'd say there was limited interaction. You move your cards around the playing surface, and the playing surface represents the battlefield, so it's all hands on direct interaction. The general premise is that each hero (card) is leading a class of units into battle to attack your opponents castle. Each hero may have special traits, strength, intelligence, a point cost, and a unique special attack. you can use any of the heroes special attacks when you have enough morale to do so, and they vary widely. you might simply power up your troops, or you might summon meteors down to damage your opponents castle. there's simply a huge supply of potential strategy combinations that make every game really unique. In addition, you do have a single "Art of War" attack which I haven't been able to figure out yet. All I can tell is that you level up each Art of War individually and can only use it once per battle. The ones that I have only seem to power up my units but I saw somebody summon a dragon once.

Anyway, I'm completely utterly obsessed with the arcade game and I am saddened that they'll probably move it to other locations to playtest it after March 18th.

15. mortys

Newcomer mortys Advanced Member

France
    So you think there's are some chances to see the DS version in english ?