1. Opium

Opium PogoShell it to me ™
    Former Staff

Australia
    lol.....umm well, that's probably a bit too harsh. I mean you have PSP, PS2, PC racers, then you have....DS racers. DS racers have a world of their own to me, and as a DS racing game it ain't too bad. As a racing game it's horrible though [​IMG]

2. 754boy

754boy :D
    Banned

United States
    I would have at least given it a 6.0....maybe 6.5 cuz there is some enjoyment to be had lol [​IMG]

3. MC DUI

MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Damn! Thats one of the most harsh reviews I have ever read from IGN.

I'm thinking I will probably agree with them too so I'm steering clear of this one!

4. gbxemu

gbxemu Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    + Graphics are good for DS
    + Game would be OK if there would be no PSP version to compare to

- Main complaint - Physics model SUX [​IMG] . I mean how hard is it to make arcade type physics model to work. Doesn't have to be 100% realistic, but HAS TO BE FUN. I feel that in DS version the car is glued to the road.
    - Controls are not responsive but that is directly connected with the physics model. this is from IGN review that I have to agree with "Steering the vehicle more feels like the environment's rotating around the car."
    - Opponents in single player mode seem to be "Rail-Mounted" and drive unrealistically

And did they have to make the tracks same as on PSP version? Could have made something new and better suited for the engine.

For me the DS version feels like the poor mans Burnout. Not near as bad as Most Wanted - Good physics would have sold if for me, but as it is now it is hard to enjoy.

5. Strider

Strider Next to the mainstream

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You just made my day [​IMG]

That said, I think the graphics aren't bad, but the handling is horrendous. Asphalt has far better handling than this.

6. Zaraf

Zaraf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I actually quite enjoyed this game...I dont know why people are bashing it so much. Sure, it is nothing compared to Mario Kart, but it is my favorite CAR racing game (as opposed to Kart) on the DS right now.

7. Brouhaha

Brouhaha GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This game is a disgrace to the DS and the Burnout franchise... I mean common, the collision detection is WAAAYYYY off and laggy as hell! Even if we forget about the collision detection, handling is... wait did I say handling? No sentence should contain handling and this game together... [​IMG]

Driv3r on the GBA handles better than this... The studio responsible for this should FUCKING CLOSE DOORS OR STICK TO SHITTY 3D ON THE GBA... because that's what they've been horribly bad at for the past few years...

There is no reason for us DS owners to get such a crappy Burnout on our capable hardware...

8. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    My favourite part about this game is when it didn't boot because I forgot to insert my PassMe.

9. memyselfandi

memyselfandi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!

10. berlinka

berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I'm still a big Outrun fan!!! From the moment I saw/played it in, what was it, 1989 or something I fell in love with it. Everybody thought or still thinks that's a fantastic racer. Well, according to today's standards it shouldn't get more then a 3.5 also because the collision detection and depth is very poor compared to games from our time. With this in mind I play Burnout Legends. When I play a new racer I try to always compare it to Outrun, and I find Burnout Legends a fanatastic game to play...

See, and that's why so many people think different about this kind of game (the same goes with Ford Racing 3), there are people who compare these kind of games to other racers on PS2, XBOX, etc. and they spit on it, and there are people, like me, with a very retro approach to games, and they probably like it very much, cause they compare it to eighties and nineties games.

Well, there you have my rating-theory

11. ShadowXP

ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damn, what a disappointment. Burnout Revenge is awesome, and I take it that the PSP version of Legends is, too?

12. amiga

amiga Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I think it's the same for me even if I'm not a big Outrun fan. I really liked the Pc emulator of the arcade ridge race and I really like ridge race, ford racing 3 and burnout legends but I don't like need for speed kind of games even on the PC.

13. Brouhaha

Brouhaha GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Your theory is biased. It's all about what the hardware can acheive. Outrun was the best it could be at the time on its hardware (I love that game too and am a retro/nostalgic gamer). Burnout, on the DS hardware, should be very much better than this... I am not comparing to racers on other consoles, but to racers on the this console such as NFSU 2 or Mario Kart even... There is no excuse for this lame piece of software...

14. Athlon-pv

Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Usually bad ports are to blame on:

Bad lead programmer
    Unbalanced gameplay
    sack of shit producer

And instead of doing something decent then try to improve upon that to get as close as you can get. Instead of having just a bad idea and sticking to it as this is the case in most ports.

[​IMG]

15. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Outrun rules!
    I like Outron 2019 better though cuase it was alot faster.

But the game is a basic race agasint time and sometimes an oppenent. But it would laways be a real race agasint time since the drive itself was challanging.

Burnout cant really be compared with a good game like that becuase they used gimmicks to try and it a game. Like basic lap racing and going between traffic.

Outrun was just race as fast as you can without any laps to worry about, thats what made it great. [​IMG]
    I just wish I coulda played the Xbox sequal ;-;
    A DS version would be cool, would never happen, but would be cool.
    Actually, Id love to see a new version of Outrun 2019, that was one awsome game xD
    You get a experimental car with a jet rocket on back and a long arse high way to run over before the time ran out. You had to try and find good times to use the jet boost and try not to use it wich was hard since it would turn on on its own. Though there was the manual control too, but it wasnt as fun.
    Oh man did I love that game.
    Heck I still play it every once and awhile xD Good music too o-o

16. Konamix02

Konamix02 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    haha the developer is name Visual Impact...this game sure isnt. You know what would be cool. If somebody knew how to decompile and edit commercial games and then make a site called whatcouldhavebeen.com or something like that. This games really does suffer from that AI like in Diddy Kong Racing where they all followed each other...that's just sad.

17. .TakaM

.TakaM .II

New Zealand
    no one should be sad they havent played outrun two on xbox..
    its a pretty game with nice drift mechanics, thats all really..

it really reminded me of the cruis'n games... it makes an okay game for the arcades, and a terrible console game

18. 754boy

754boy :D
    Banned

United States
    Hey Cruis'n on the N64 was cool, especially the multiplayer [​IMG]

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Legends, Burnout, #0221